422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results!

Just got back from my dyno tuning session at Slowhawk Performance in Bridgewater, Massachusetts. Don Kinder has an excellent reputation amongst the Corvette community and turned out to be a badass CTS-V tuner.

Despite the miserable weather (87°F and 97% humidity), my 90 mile cruise back from his shop was one of my best drives, ever. One of Don's specialities, beyond coaxing power from LSx motors, is getting them to idle nicely. Believe it or not, my car idles more smoothly than it did before the cam installation. He also corrected several significant mistakes that Ted Jannetty (of Jannetty Racing in Waterbury, CT) made when tuning my engine.

Another thing that Don did differently was that he gave me an honest-to-goodness 30 minute real-world test drive, both with A/C on and off. Janetty just threw the car on the dyno and called it a day. On top of that, Don charged me $450, whereas Janetty charged me nearly $800.

Although it's almost futile to try to compare Janetty's non-SAE corrected Dynojet numbers with Slowhawk's SAE corrected Mustang numbers, here it is:

2011 @ Jannetty Racing (intake, OBX headers, clutch, exhaust)
    370 RWHP / 361 RWTQ

(dyno sheet not available)

2012 @ Slowhawk Performance (+cam, +ported LS2 intake, +IAT relocate)
    422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ

(the above video is available on Youtube in 1080p @ 60fps)

The IAT relocate that I did worked pretty damn well. Average temperature rise over ambient in the Lingenfelter airbox in casual driving conditions was +6 degrees (e.g. if ambient was 87°F, IAT pulled from the ECU was 93°F). During extended stops, I saw +18°F. So heatsoak is still an issue, but not as bad as it was before.

Don gave me a couple of homework assignments to carry out in the next couple of weeks. First up, I'm installing a 160 degree thermostat. Second, he thinks the Volant intake tube that I've got is very restrictive. I'm to replace it with 4" pipe. Third, he believes that based on my driving style (more of an autocross application) that a Procharger D-1SC would be far more appropriate than a TVS2300, due to it's less abrupt power/torque characteristics. If that's the case, I guess I'll also have to spring for a FAST 102 and sell my newly-ported LS2 intake manifold. Curses!

Anyway, I'm very pleased. This fall, I'm going to be concentrating on getting my aesthetic mods installed (Forgestar F14s, Extreme Composites hood, refinished front bumper, projector fogs, dual halo headlamps, etc). Poor engine needs a rest, anyway.

If you have any questions, let me know! I'm still getting 13-15 MPG in aggressive mixed urban driving and 23-27 MPG on the highway. Idle is set to 850 RPM. To recap: this CTS-V has a stock 364 CID LS2 motor with unported 243 cathedral heads, blower cam, and a bunch of bolt-ons (see below):

1. Lingenfelter airbox / Volant intake tube / S&B filter
    2. Relocated IAT sensor to filter (6-10 degree temperature rise over ambient)
    3. Ported/polished LS2 throttle body by Affordable Speed in Woodstock, IL
    4. Ported LS2 intake manifold by LS2 Port Works in Poulsbo, WA
    5. Thunder Racing TRuTorq L3 cam 223/236 .612/.610 115 LSA
    6. 7.425" Comp hardened pushrods, Comp 26926 470 in-lb valvesprings
    7. Comp LS-series rocker trunnion upgrade kit
    8. ATI Serpentine Series SuperDamper
    9. GM LS7 clutch and aluminum 13 lb Fidanza flywheel
    10. OBX 1-7/8" stainless steel headers (DEI wrapped)
    11. Kooks 6760-FC high flow cats
    12. Magnaflow 16637 2.5" catback exhaust with X-pipe
    13. NGK Iridium TR55IX plugs, MSD 8.5mm wires

Fluid list:
    - 7 quarts of Redline 15W-40 diesel oil in the engine
    - 3 quarts of Redline D4 ATF and 1 quart 70W80 GL-4 in the transmission
    - 2 quarts of Redline 75W140 in the differential

HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DRod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V :: K&N CAI | MAMO FAST 102 | KOOKS HEADERS

Re: 422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results!

Nice numbers! Can't wait to see what happens with the blower...and the new wheels, of course.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Wow...nice numbers. I so want to cam mine.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Looks like you had some fun!

So, did I miss something? Are you going to do a Procharger D-1SC? Sure would be a handful on an autocross course.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Looks like you had some fun!

So, did I miss something? Are you going to do a Procharger D-1SC? Sure would be a handful on an autocross course.
    I plan to make the transition to forced induction as soon as I can. What I ultimately wind up with depends on parts availability--I'll probably try to pick up a lightly used D-1SC from someone that's upgrading to a F1. I also need to figure out exactly what needs purchasing in terms of supporting modifications (intake tubing, intercooler, etc).

By the way, did anyone see the picture of my CTS-V with the yellow microfiber cloth on the fender and think that the juxtaposition of colors looked cool? If I wasn't such a wuss, I might ask someone to paint a double yellow stripe up the fender and across the hood. Of course, if I did that, I'd also have to get my calipers powdercoated the same yellow hue. At that point, I'd probably be hundreds of dollars in the hole.

Maybe I can find some kind of removable self-adhesive tape to mock it up on the car and see how it looks.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Don is one of the tuners we trut in that area.....knows what he is doing and he has visited our FL shop as well. You get a true custom tune and the driveability portion...and done precise.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Nice numbers and GREAT looking V.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Good numbers.

Don't do the yellow on red.....that would look retarded.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Good Numbers! I think I need to try a new tuner, my V idles like shit with the CAM!

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I am intrigued by the TruTorq cam series, and I'm looking at the Level 5 myself. Would be nice to see a dyno sheet of the L5 on a V or on a C5 or C6 to see how it performs, and whether it's better than FuzzyLogic's results above (which are impressive).

Well, if you're really interested in the TRuTorq series, let me know. I might buy a L5 and sell my L3. You'll need a whole bunch of supporting valvetrain parts...the right shims, seals, retainers, pushrods, etc.

Fuzz-- you just shelled out for that tune. Enjoy it!

I am intrigued by the L5-- just worried it may be too much lift. And it's so different from what others are running.

OK, so I just talked to a widely respected cam guru about the L5. I told him I wouldn't mention his name on the forums, so you will just have to use your imaginations. When I described the L5's specs to him, he immediately zeroed in on the huge 12 degree intake to exhaust split. He said that this was often done because it resulted in big dyno numbers, but that throttle response would suffer. If you're drag racing, a cam like this could be a good idea. However, for real world driving, city driving, etc., you would suffer from the laggin throttle response.

Just putting this out there. On this basis, Fuzz, you already have the best cam.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    OK, so I just talked to a widely respected cam guru about the L5. I told him I wouldn't mention his name on the forums, so you will just have to use your imaginations. When I described the L5's specs to him, he immediately zeroed in on the huge 12 degree intake to exhaust split. He said that this was often done because it resulted in big dyno numbers, but that throttle response would suffer. If you're drag racing, a cam like this could be a good idea. However, for real world driving, city driving, etc., you would suffer from the laggin throttle response.

Just putting this out there. On this basis, Fuzz, you already have the best cam.
    I'm not sure what PatG means when he claims that throttle response will suffer. He may be referencing the lack of low-end torque, but this cam is designed to be utilized with a blower, so the end result is a car that is controllable instead of borderline dangerous to drive out of corners.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.