422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Fuzzy, do you have contact info for "Affordable Speed in Woodstock, IL"?...
    c230kompw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V Stealth Grey

Re: 422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results!

Fuzzy, do you have contact info for "Affordable Speed in Woodstock, IL"?

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    I'm not sure what PatG means when he claims that throttle response will suffer. He may be referencing the lack of low-end torque, but this cam is designed to be utilized with a blower, so the end result is a car that is controllable instead of borderline dangerous to drive out of corners.
    It wasn't Pat G. Anyway, you misunderstood my post. YOUR L3 doesn't have a big split between Intake and exhaust durations. By that logic, you would have good throttle response, at the expense of power under the curve. Your cam is a driver's cam, not a drag cam. The L5, with it's big split, looks more like a drag cam.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    It wasn't Pat G. Anyway, you misunderstood my post. YOUR L3 doesn't have a big split between Intake and exhaust durations. By that logic, you would have good throttle response, at the expense of power under the curve. Your cam is a driver's cam, not a drag cam. The L5, with it's big split, looks more like a drag cam.
    My bad. Reading comprehension fail!

hah, happens to the best and fuzziest of us. speaking of which, how is your throttle response on the L3?

hah, happens to the best and fuzziest of us. speaking of which, how is your throttle response on the L3?
    I don't have quarter mile times, but if I have time this afternoon, I'll throw on my CruiseCam and hit the abandoned road near me for some video impressions.

I don't have quarter mile times, but if I have time this afternoon, I'll throw on my CruiseCam and hit the abandoned road near me for some video impressions.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a cam with more intake/exhaust split, like the L5, would probably post a better 1/4 mile time. The L3, however, would be better for powering predictably out of turns, stitching through traffic--essentially, road course type applications. A video impression would be awesome.

You must be a scientist or an engineer. You're always looking for evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by c230kompw View Post
    Fuzzy, do you have contact info for "Affordable Speed in Woodstock, IL"?
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...k&myworld=true

Affordable_Speed used to regularly advertise on eBay, but I think he's going off of word of mouth nowadays. Contact him, tell him what you want, and see what he says. I used to have his cell phone number, but can't find it now. Here's a picture from one of his old advertisements:

I asked for gloss black powdercoat and did a core exchange. Here's what I received, sitting next to my original LS2 TB with 22k miles on it:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a cam with more intake/exhaust split, like the L5, would probably post a better 1/4 mile time. The L3, however, would be better for powering predictably out of turns, stitching through traffic--essentially, road course type applications. A video impression would be awesome.

You must be a scientist or an engineer. You're always looking for evidence.
    I'm an electrical engineer. Undergrad at UIUC. Presently working on my master's degree at RPI, focusing on electromagnetics and digital signal processing.

I'll see if I can do a video this weekend. Tried this evening, but my results weren't very good. I definitely need a F1.8 lens and an external shotgun mic for video recording. Money, money, money...*sigh*

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I'll still go to Behe in MD when I can. But its good to know I've got a quality local tuner...

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

OK, so I just talked to a widely respected cam guru about the L5. I told him I wouldn't mention his name on the forums, so you will just have to use your imaginations. When I described the L5's specs to him, he immediately zeroed in on the huge 12 degree intake to exhaust split. He said that this was often done because it resulted in big dyno numbers, but that throttle response would suffer. If you're drag racing, a cam like this could be a good idea. However, for real world driving, city driving, etc., you would suffer from the laggin throttle response.

Just putting this out there. On this basis, Fuzz, you already have the best cam.
    -------------------------------------------------------[Just like how I like my broads. Errr.]------------------------------------------------------
    You would have linear throttle response (i.e., a flat and fat torque curve) by maximizing the area under the curve across the entire breadth of the normally intended operating rpm range, not at its expense. It would be at the expense of chasing peak numbers, which will often occur in a much more narrow operating range, as alluded to in the reference to big dyno numbers in the highlighted section of the first post.

Yes, you're right about that. I miswrote (is that a word)? I should have written "you would have good throttle response, at the expense of peak power".

However, it must be said that we are guessing about that. It's possible that late-peaking power could compensate for lack of power earlier in the RPM rage, giving more area under the curve, but still being less streetable because of the late-onset. This is probably unusual however, with more AUC being more streetable, most of the time.

I've wished for some time that there could be a AUC metric that we could get from a dyno. I mean, of course there is one, and we need only calculate it, but I wish there was one that was commonly used that could be used as a standard comparator (as opposed to peak TQ/HP)r.

I'm an electrical engineer. Undergrad at UIUC. Presently working on my master's degree at RPI, focusing on electromagnetics and digital signal processing.
    I thought so. I'm a statistician/epidemiologist/scientist type. This motorhead bug has bitten me hard because it's so logical, and the rewards are so much more immediate than my daily work.

With your degree work, I don't think you're going to have to worry about $$ after you graduate, lol. Just try to spend more time studying rather than posting on here, haha

This motorhead bug has bitten me hard because it's so logical, and the rewards are so much more immediate than my daily work.
    You hit the nail on the head with the immediacy statement. As an engineer, you can go for weeks, months, or even years without seeing the outcome of your work.

Figured I'd throw a quick update in here. I think I owe you guys an in-car video to show the throttle response with the cam, but I've been having trouble isolating my CruiseCam mount from the Sony A65 microphone. Might have to buy an external shotgun microphone.

Now that the car is tuned, the lopey cam sound is almost entirely gone. I think this makes the TRuTorq L3 cam a prime choice for anyone who wants the biggest cam they can get without deviating too far from that stock rumble.

Short walkaround in 1080p below. Should have a much fuller set of pictures and video come Labor Day weekend. Maybe I'll even put the Forgestar F14s on--or maybe angry forum users wanting piano black pictures will tar and feather me--who knows??!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.