How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've read many times where the clunk was a side effect of the design. Is there any option to get ...
    madramper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift?

I've read many times where the clunk was a side effect of the design. Is there any option to get rid of it? It bothers me to the point where I am seriously considering dropping the $5k for an 8.8 rear conversion. My car only has 22k miles on it. Sometimes I get the clunk just from no throttle cruising and getting back on the gas. What can I do? I love the car, but this is driving me nuts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift?

That's the motor mouts. Replace em! I jut took out my turds for UMIs-- clunk is GONE!

Thanks! I'm going to order some tonight!

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

When new, my V exhibited very little clunk. At 26k miles, the clunk is only really evident when i first start to back up or when I start to go forward after having been in reverse. I think the clunk can remain tolerable if you are willing to replace the oem motor mounts and differential bushing from time to time. At high mileage, the dual-mass flywheel, which is a spring-loaded device can become an issue as well as parts of the driveshaft.

I have considered the aftermarket differentials, but I don't drag race the car and $5k-$8 buys a lot of motor mounts, differential bushings, and even a replacement differential or two.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

My 2004 has about 22K and the clunk....Just did the 8.8 conversion and guess what ? No clunk, super smooth even with light throttle in parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    My 2004 has about 22K and the clunk....Just did the 8.8 conversion and guess what ? No clunk, super smooth even with light throttle in parking lots.
    How do you like the conversion? Did you install it yourself? Any issues?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

IMHO, you can replace all the MMs and bushings and FWs and clutches and so forth you want, but until you replace the diff itself, you got the clunk.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

KB V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I have considered the aftermarket differentials, but I don't drag race the car and $5k-$8 buys a lot of motor mounts, differential bushings, and even a replacement differential or two.
    How much should we expect to pay for a dealer installed diff? I'm not going to go to the track, but I may punch it from the stoplight. Will the factory diff eventually whine from this type of driving? I'm leaning to the 8.8. Plus, bushings and mounts may be cheap, but the install labor won't help the cause (kooks).

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by KB V View Post
    How much should we expect to pay for a dealer installed diff? I'm not going to go to the track, but I may punch it from the stoplight. Will the factory diff eventually whine from this type of driving? I'm leaning to the 8.8. Plus, bushings and mounts may be cheap, but the install labor won't help the cause (kooks).
    I have not priced a differential lately but the last time I did the part could be had for $1,400 or so. Having installed my own axles I would probably install it myself, although I have a local shop that probably would probably install it for $300 or so.

In the context of spirted driving but with no banzai launches or power shifts, the oem differentials are more likely to fail by developing an intolerable level of whine than by breakage.

The only way to eliiminate 100% of the clunk and the possibility of whine-related failure is install one of the aftermarket setups.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Easy guys. He has clunk and it seems he hasn't even replaced the stock mounts. First thing to do is replace the mounts and diff bushing with aftermarket, then reassess. If he's like me, he may not have any clunk AT ALL left after doing mounts and diff bushing.

OP, do the easy stuff first. Mounts and CS diff bushings are a no-brainier.

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

I've been enjoying my V for the past few weeks. It has 75k approx all stock.
    I have the clunk going slow shifting from 1st to 2nd. There is a very very slight shimmer when he car turns off.
    The clunk seems to go away after the car warms up, and if I shift fast and let the clutch easy between 1st and 2nd, it's fine.

So, in your opinion should I get new motor mounts, rev diff bushing and a trans insert?

And I have research this site and have found a lot of great info regarding DIY for hose items. But, recently I was in a motorcycle accident and won't be very mobile for a few months, so I may just have a dealer install these... Any ideas how long these would take a dealer to install? Just want to make sure if I go that route, I have an idea what they might quote.

Thanks!

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Quote Originally Posted by madramper View Post
    How do you like the conversion? Did you install it yourself? Any issues?
    I was very happy with the conversion. This was the first major work I did to the car and was able to do the job in about 6 hours. With help I can see this done in about 4.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Easy guys. He has clunk and it seems he hasn't even replaced the stock mounts. First thing to do is replace the mounts and diff bushing with aftermarket, then reassess. If he's like me, he may not have any clunk AT ALL left after doing mounts and diff bushing.

At 22K on the ODO the stock parts should still be good unless he beats on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post

At 22K on the ODO the stock parts should still be good unless he beats on it.

Thats what I was thinking. Especially with something like mounts. This is my first non-ford performance vehicle. The Fords will last well over 100k, so I guess it never crossed my mind. It looks like the mounts were a weak spot on these cars. I did order a set of motor mounts and a tranny mount, so we'll see what that does before I drop money I don't really have so I can drive the car I love frustration free!

KB V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post

Didn't mean to jump ahead.... I've got the "clunk and whine"(somebody get me a doctor!). I know the original owner had 1 mount replaced(only 1 then he sold it) at the dealer for almost a grand! They told him it cost more b/c of the kooks headers. Not sure if there was an oil change and something else added to that bill. So, I'm thinking, do the whole thing, 8.8 & mms, at once and save a few bucks on labor. The pain is the waiting to get the $5+ k together!.......I did order the revshift trans insert since it will cost $0. to install.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Not sure where where the "5K" price tag came from for the 8.8 swap, originally the full kit was $4500 + about $200 for shipping. Right now the kits are $4050 + $200 for shipping. So that's only $4250 sitting on your door step.
    Have a look at our website for what the kit includes. The whole kit is a bolt in project, in fact you could use the factory service manual for the installation.

Take a deep breath everybody, feels good. Peace Out
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.