How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; CS diff block elminated my clunk a few miles ago....
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Re: How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift?

CS diff block elminated my clunk a few miles ago.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by madramper View Post
    I bought a diff bushing from Creative Steel. OMG what a difference!!! There is NO clunk at all. This is what my stock bushing looked like with 23k miles! It basically fell out. The one side is really torn up. The other side looks like it wasn't even glued to the metal sleeve. Before I even loosened a bolt, I made a video of how loose the diff was.

Thanks Creative Steel. I love my car again!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    CS diff block elminated my clunk a few miles ago.
    Guys,

Read my post up above again. It will come back. Sorry to bear bad news.

-Chris

P.S. I have a poly rear diff bushing, and it was nice at first, but then other bits in the drive line started wearing out.
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Scott2012 View Post
    I've been enjoying my V for the past few weeks. It has 75k approx all stock.
    I have the clunk going slow shifting from 1st to 2nd. There is a very very slight shimmer when he car turns off.
    The clunk seems to go away after the car warms up, and if I shift fast and let the clutch easy between 1st and 2nd, it's fine.

So, in your opinion should I get new motor mounts, rev diff bushing and a trans insert?

And I have research this site and have found a lot of great info regarding DIY for hose items. But, recently I was in a motorcycle accident and won't be very mobile for a few months, so I may just have a dealer install these... Any ideas how long these would take a dealer to install? Just want to make sure if I go that route, I have an idea what they might quote.

Thanks!
    My Dealer just gave me a price of 600 bucks in labor only to replace the motor mounts, and a little more to do the trans mount ( which I did myself today),

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Guys with LS2 motors should replace the harmonic damper as a matter of course. Not clunk related, but important...

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Guys with LS2 motors should replace the harmonic damper as a matter of course. Not clunk related, but important...
    Did you get yours finished?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Did you get yours finished?
    Ordered an LS-specific puller, then had to go on a trip out of town. Will make a second attempt on Sunday. Thanks for your help, by the way. It was essential.

Ordered an LS-specific puller, then had to go on a trip out of town. Will make a second attempt on Sunday. Thanks for your help, by the way. It was essential.
    I'll be very interested in any observations you might have as to why that pulley was so reluctant to leave the crank. Oh, and I'll be working on my car this weekend if you need anything.

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

What harmonic damper do you recommend? a new factory OEM part, or something else like the ATI fluid damper...? HAMSTAR which one are you using: part number, price, and where to buy? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V for victory View Post
    What harmonic damper do you recommend? a new factory OEM part, or something else like the ATI fluid damper...? HAMSTAR which one are you using: part number, price, and where to buy? thanks
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ampner-v1.html

http://m.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577914

Above are the two threads I started for advice. Lots of different options. I went with the ATI super damper but you choice will depend on your needs an your tolerance for mod hell.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    You mention this is a common problem on ls2s. I haven't really seen much about it (except your thread). Any links?

The reason I ask is I am putting together my upgrade list and this wasn't on it. I will be going with a tvs 2300, ls3 heads, cam, headers, and lots of miscellaneous stuff. So far now major vibes but I have been noticing a little more vibe in the pedals. I'll investigate this weekend but I am interested in any background info.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    You mention this is a common problem on ls2s. I haven't really seen much about it (except your thread). Any links?

The reason I ask is I am putting together my upgrade list and this wasn't on it. I will be going with a tvs 2300, ls3 heads, cam, headers, and lots of miscellaneous stuff. So far now major vibes but I have been noticing a little more vibe in the pedals. I'll investigate this weekend but I am interested in any background info.

TIA
    Sorry, I am traveling and am too lazy to post links on my phone. Search for LS2 harmonic damper/balancer/pulley and you will find lots of posts about problems with the 06-07 Vs, C5 vettes, GTOs, etc.

I first became aware of an issue when I picked up on vibrations at about 2k rpm. If you search around, you will find many others that complain about it, and it is variously attributed to the stock turd dual-mass flywheel and/or harmonic damper. I kept that at te back of my mind, and would occasionally check in my damper.

On my drive home on Thursday, the vibes were so bad I popped the hood and the damper was very obviously failing, wobbling like a drunkard.

IMHO, get the stock turd swapped out. Either do it once with a good unit like the ATI or Fluidampr or, if you're a guy that does a lot of engine work, count on putting a fresh cheapo one on there every two years or so.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Thanks guys!

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

This could fix the clunk and a lot more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ntCPCwr9ZXE

Dominic M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I just had the dealership replace my Harmonic Damper under warranty, my car is a 05 with the LS6 and it only has 50k miles. It was totally falling apart and caused a huge harmonic vibration.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.