How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by MotorMounts Not sure where where the "5K" price tag came from for the 8.8 swap, originally the ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: How do you fx the "clunk" when you shift?

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    Not sure where where the "5K" price tag came from for the 8.8 swap, originally the full kit was $4500 + about $200 for shipping. Right now the kits are $4050 + $200 for shipping. So that's only $4250 sitting on your door step.
    Have a look at our website for what the kit includes. The whole kit is a bolt in project, in fact you could use the factory service manual for the installation.

Take a deep breath everybody, feels good. Peace Out
    Can I use that kit with my DSS axles?

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Can I use that kit with my DSS axles?
    Beacuse of the Ford 31 spline the inner CV's are different. Don't think they sell the them seperate.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    Beacuse of the Ford 31 spline the inner CV's are different. Don't think they sell the them seperate.
    Well I watched an installation video where the installer was "re-splining" the axles, so I guess my question is Can I "respline" my DSS axles. I want to keep asymmetric axles because they have eliminated 100% of my wheel hop.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Well I watched an installation video where the installer was "re-splining" the axles, so I guess my question is Can I "respline" my DSS axles. I want to keep asymmetric axles because they have eliminated 100% of my wheel hop.
    Wow...my last response was a grammatical mess.
    I guess the best answer is that the CS kit includes new DSS axles and driveshaft allowing you to recoup some costs and sell your current axles.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Get rid of the KLUNK? Sure, just do the following (from fron to back):

1) Replace engine mounts
    2) Replace Dual Mass Flywheel
    3) Replace Tranny Mount
    4) Replace Guibo
    5) Replace DS Carrier Bearing (either need to continuously update this or go to different DS design or one piece)
    6) Deal with CV joint at DS Pinion Mount
    7) Replace DIFF Carrier Bushing(s)
    8) Replace rear diff (loose ring and pinion, stretched case)
    9) Replace Half Shafts
    10) Replace Rear Subframe mounts
    11) With copious left over money, repalce the rest of the rear end susnepsnion rubber bushing with Heim joints etc.
    12) go to the dentist and get your fillings replaced
    13) Get a a new significant other that will ride in your solid mount car

--OR--

Learn to drive around it and live with it

--OR--

Get a different type of car.

SEE, PROBLEM SOLVED!

-Chris

P.S. Order of fix importance:
    1) Front Diff Carrier Bearing
    2) Motor Mounts
    3) Dual Mass Flywheel
    4) DS Carrier Bearning

- As you fix stuff, other stuff wears out and the KLUNK comes back.
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. 58k miles and no clunk with no mods to address clunk. I hope that remains true as the GC kit and new axels go in. BTW - wheel hop sux. .

The more and more I look at the threads on this forum the less I want to mod the car. It has me thinking seriously about a GT500 to beat on with the V as a daily driver. Which sux because I really love the V.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I bought my 06 at 80K with mild clunk. The previous owners babied it. I drive a little harder over some rougher roads, and the result is that 3K later I had clunk so terrible that the engine looked like it was gonna jump out of the bay. It's all in how you drive it and where you drive it.

KB V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Not sure where where the "5K" price tag came from for the 8.8 swap, originally the full kit was $4500 + about $200 for shipping. Right now the kits are $4050 + $200 for shipping. So that's only $4250 sitting on your door step. Peace Out
    Sorry. Was adding the cost of paying someone else to install it. I would like to install it myself, but I'm not sure if I'll go for it. Plus, I might add the outer cvs.

madramper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Right now the kits are $4050 + $200 for shipping. So that's only $4250 sitting on your door step.
    What is the lead time on a kit? I ordered your motor and tranny mounts last night!

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by madramper View Post
    What is the lead time on a kit? I ordered your motor and tranny mounts last night!
    Let me make a phone call on Monday.....I've had extra sets of axles and drive lines on order for some time now and am still being told 3-4 weeks

?????????????????????????????????????
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

BrunoDC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 05
    Well, well,well fella's.
    2005 cts v 24k in here, diff bushing,trans. & engine mounts all CS combined with a good time on my right & left foot and I can power shift up and and down,left and right and no clunk.
    Slow shifting? No problems... Try to feel it before letting any pedal go and you will eliminate most of it.
    I think the majority of the problem is with that thing behind the steering wheel...aka The Driver.
    Like another fella mentioned earlier:
    Learn to drive it around and enjoy it.
    "Dog it"but learn how to do it...
    Listen to "Ls" he will tell you when and what to do!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Not sure where where the "5K" price tag came from for the 8.8 swap, originally the full kit was $4500 + about $200 for shipping. Right now the kits are $4050 + $200 for shipping. So that's only $4250 sitting on your door step.
    Have a look at our website for what the kit includes. The whole kit is a bolt in project, in fact you could use the factory service manual for the installation.

Take a deep breath everybody, feels good. Peace Out
    If my current DSS/Hendrix axles would work AND if the diff alone could come in at about $2k, I'd be in. Otherwise, I'm done modding ... well, for now, anyway.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Let me make a phone call on Monday.....I've had extra sets of axles and drive lines on order for some time now and am still being told 3-4 weeks

?????????????????????????????????????
    Sounds good! I tried to send you a PM, but I guess I still can't. Is there like a minimum post count or something I have to hit?

I bought a diff bushing from Creative Steel. OMG what a difference!!! There is NO clunk at all. This is what my stock bushing looked like with 23k miles! It basically fell out. The one side is really torn up. The other side looks like it wasn't even glued to the metal sleeve. Before I even loosened a bolt, I made a video of how loose the diff was.

Thanks Creative Steel. I love my car again!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-e0L6iI9A

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I had the same issue. The Creative Steel mount helps a lot, although you may notice that it softens up a bit with time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.