$hit just got real!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, $hit just got real! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I started at 11am yesterday and worked til about 8:30pm. I stopped for lunch and then had to go to ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

$hit just got real!

I started at 11am yesterday and worked til about 8:30pm. I stopped for lunch and then had to go to a buddy's to get the fuel disconnect tool and a power steering pulley removal tool, and stopped for dinner. I took my time and took a crazy amount of pics and wrote bolt sizes down so I can do a writeup later.

Got bumper, radiator, fans, tb, intake, water pump, power steering bracket (left the rest intact....pretty easy after pulley was removed) and got headers, plugs, valve covers, and heads off.

Now I need to remove lifters, balancer, timing chain cover, cam, and oil pump. Hopefully I'll get that done before the weekend.

Hate seeing the ol' V like this.....but it's pretty cool knowing that I'm knee deep in awesome right now lol.

4doorocket and 4doorocket like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

Re: $hit just got real!

Nice! Keep us updated! I think I am going to do the same thing with my Maggie install.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Looks familiar. Don't forget to transfer the fittings from the old heads to the new heads.
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Lol like the title

Quote Originally Posted by soulja View Post
    Nice! Keep us updated! I think I am going to do the same thing with my Maggie install.
    You'll have it easy peazy compared to changing all this nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Looks familiar. Don't forget to transfer the fittings from the old heads to the new heads.
    Yes Sir......weird thing is the ground bolts were the hardest thing to remove out of the whole disassembly!

Couple Questions:

1) Has anyone heard that the LS2 chain is too big for the LS6? The local speed shop guy thinks it's too thick for the timing chain cover and he's done many LSx cars. Granted, never a V but he does know his stuff.

2) Also, does the oil pan need to be removed in order to get the oil pump out?

I know the V oil pan is specific to our cars, but when I read the writeup on ls1howto and they said they drop the pan an inch (granted it's an FBody). Wouldn't you need a new oil pan gasket then?

The LS2 chain is beefier than the LS6 chain and you tell it is just by looking at it. It will fit under the LS6 cover, but will appear to be looser than stock. Nonetheless it will work just fine.

The shop did my oil pump, but they told me that they just dropped the pan a little. Pulling the entire oil pan is a lot more involved and I am sure my shop would have told me if dropping pan a little had not worked. Most of the trouble with the oil pump thing involves getting the rubber seal on properly - many threads generated by those who screwed that part up.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The LS2 chain is beefier than the LS6 chain and you tell it is just by looking at it. It will fit under the LS6 cover, but will appear to be looser than stock. Nonetheless it will work just fine.

The shop did my oil pump, but they told me that they just dropped the pan a little. Pulling the entire oil pan is a lot more involved and I am sure my shop would have told me if dropping pan a little had not worked. Most of the trouble with the oil pump thing involves getting the rubber seal on properly - many threads generated by those who screwed that part up.
    Thanks for the info Boss.

Ya, I'm dreading the oil pump part.

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

i ended up saying screw it on my oil pump swap, i lossened the pan, but must have missed a bolt, couldnt get the pan down. i didnt feel like messing with it, mind you my car only had 20k on it at the time of the swap so i wasnt concerned.
    a few guys chimed into my help thread and said they were able to do it no problem, but i couldnt figure it out.
    so up to you if ya want to mess with it.

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

yuppers thats the one
    to bad i didnt realize i had a cracked pan when i was doing the swap, could have just yanked my motor and done it all at once.
    i just had my pan and gasket replaced 2 weeks ago under warrenty.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Couple Questions:

2) Also, does the oil pan need to be removed in order to get the oil pump out?
    Just loosen all the pan bolts and the two lower transmission bolts that go into the pan and drop it as far as you can. This will give you enough room to get the pickup tube bolt out (10mm, ratchet wrench helps). Place a lint free rag in the opening in the pan or hold with magnet as you loosen it so it doesn't fall in the pan. Once bolt is out remove four retaining bolts then pull out the pickup tube as you rotate the oil pump on the crank and then it should slide right off. Install is reverse of removal, just take your time getting the pickup tube installed back on the pump. Lube the (new hopefully) o-ring and make sure the pickup seats completely in the pump (bolt flange should sit flush against pump housing). Carefully get pickup bolt started and then just tighten everything up!

Oil pan gasket is a bonded o-ring gasket and can be reused if in good shape. I have dropped quite a few ls pans with varying mileages and not one has leaked (that I know of). Of course if you have it all the way off and have the access or the old gasket is separating, then I would just slide a new one in.

PISNUOFF Guest

Buy an LS2 timing chain tensioner. It bolts between the two gears and the threaded holes are already there. Also, don't forget to silicone the 4 corners of the oil pan where the horizontal parts of the timing cover and rear cover mate to it. It's a very common leak spot.

Hit me up on fb or call me if you need any questions answered.
    2007ThunderV and 2007ThunderV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    Just loosen all the pan bolts and the two lower transmission bolts that go into the pan and drop it as far as you can. This will give you enough room to get the pickup tube bolt out (10mm, ratchet wrench helps). Place a lint free rag in the opening in the pan or hold with magnet as you loosen it so it doesn't fall in the pan. Once bolt is out remove four retaining bolts then pull out the pickup tube as you rotate the oil pump on the crank and then it should slide right off. Install is reverse of removal, just take your time getting the pickup tube installed back on the pump. Lube the (new hopefully) o-ring and make sure the pickup seats completely in the pump (bolt flange should sit flush against pump housing). Carefully get pickup bolt started and then just tighten everything up!

Oil pan gasket is a bonded o-ring gasket and can be reused if in good shape. I have dropped quite a few ls pans with varying mileages and not one has leaked (that I know of). Of course if you have it all the way off and have the access or the old gasket is separating, then I would just slide a new one in.
    Thanks man. Everything from the water pump, heads and everything else seems like a cakewalk compared to this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Buy an LS2 timing chain tensioner. It bolts between the two gears and the threaded holes are already there. Also, don't forget to silicone the 4 corners of the oil pan where the horizontal parts of the timing cover and rear cover mate to it. It's a very common leak spot.

Hit me up on fb or call me if you need any questions answered.
    Now I have to buy something else? Dammit.....I thought I was set! Stupid truck motor chains

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Damn, you're not playing around. Props on tackling the job yourself.

Peter
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.