$hit just got real! - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, $hit just got real! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yea hptuners has the same kind of control. I tuned my last car with it. And I am looking forward ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Re: $hit just got real!

Yea hptuners has the same kind of control. I tuned my last car with it. And I am looking forward to doing this beast.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I had to use the taller Yella Terra valve cover gaskets in order to make the rockers stop hitting them. I also dremmeled a little material off just in case. It was clacking like a sunuva at first. Now it's nice and quiet

I averaged 84mph all the way to Woodward Dream Cruise sat....AND STILL GOT 22.5MPG with the new setup!!! Wooooooo!

22mpg... hell that's what I average on the highway and my car is bone stock. That's awesome! But i do have a very heavy right foot.

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

Great to see everything worked out for your install Lolly. Once I can work out my PCM/Tuning, I should be on the road soon too. Can't wait!
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Sweet, just out of curiosity, how do people like HP tuners on here? I still have my HPtuners suite and stuff and I was going to tune my car with it, but if EFI live is a ton better maybe I'll get rid of the HP setup and get EFI
    I use HP tuners most of the time. They both have their advantages, it really comes down to if you do more of a specific vehicle or pcm type. EFI live tends to get access to vehicles quicker, but HP tuners seams to unlock more features in the tuning. It really comes down to familiarity and preference. I prefer HP.

500 miles on the clock so far (since we went to Woodward 2 days after putting it together)

.....everything is A-ok!!

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    I use HP tuners most of the time. They both have their advantages, it really comes down to if you do more of a specific vehicle or pcm type. EFI live tends to get access to vehicles quicker, but HP tuners seams to unlock more features in the tuning. It really comes down to familiarity and preference. I prefer HP.
    Cool, I was just wondering since I'm kind of a late comer to the CTS-V game. I am pretty sure D3 uses it as well. I have seen their cars run at Fontana. And one silver one broke a supercharger pulley last time I was there. But it was also throwing down a huge amount of power.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    500 miles on the clock so far (since we went to Woodward 2 days after putting it together)

.....everything is A-ok!!
    Sweet Are you going to dial in the tune further after everything gets burnished in?

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Sweet Are you going to dial in the tune further after everything gets burnished in?
    I'm debating on going to get a dyno run (on my street tune) and seeing what I put down. Or, have a another tune it on the actual dyno.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I'm debating on going to get a dyno run (on my street tune) and seeing what I put down. Or, have a another tune it on the actual dyno.
    I believe a street tune is the same as a dyno tune.

On my first tune, the tuner's dyno was not available until later in the day, so we spent considerable time driving around empty streets while data logging, which in turn led to changes, and more data logging. The tuner had me driving around at low speeds in high gear to induce misbehavior which was then corrected. The result was a cammed motor that was well behaved under stop-n-go driving at low speeds. Later on the dyno, we installed a wide-band O2 sensor and he verified settings and made WOT adjustments.

On my second tune (after adding heads/intake) my tune was done entirely on the dyno. But most of the time on the dyno was not full throttle bursts, it was rather, using the rollers to simulate street driving.

Now, I am sure there are cases where people tune on the dyno for pure numeric results, including for example, lean air-to-fuel ratios that give a horsepower "pop", but which are not what one would run on the street, (or track for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I believe a street tune is the same as a dyno tune.

On my first tune, the tuner's dyno was not available until later in the day, so we spent considerable time driving around empty streets while data logging, which in turn led to changes, and more data logging. The tuner had me driving around at low speeds in high gear to induce misbehavior which was then corrected. The result was a cammed motor that was well behaved under stop-n-go driving at low speeds. Later on the dyno, we installed a wide-band O2 sensor and he verified settings and made WOT adjustments.

On my second tune (after adding heads/intake) my tune was done entirely on the dyno. But most of the time on the dyno was not full throttle bursts, it was rather, using the rollers to simulate street driving.

Now, I am sure there are cases where people tune on the dyno for pure numeric results, including for example, lean air-to-fuel ratios that give a horsepower "pop", but which are not what one would run on the street, (or track for that matter).
    Ya, I was wondering about that.

We installed widebands onto the bungs hooked up to his laptop, and did a bunch of WOT runs, then stopped, shut down, made adjustments, and did it all over again. The thing that took most of the time to tame was the idle. He said the 102 TB being so big was a little hard to get right. At no time in a WOT does it stumble or get anywhere close to not pulling, so I'm very happy with it so far.

Maybe I'll just go run on the dyno and see what numbers I get with the street tune. They use the thing where they just put the reader in the tailpipe.....is that very accurate?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Maybe I'll just go run on the dyno and see what numbers I get with the street tune. They use the thing where they just put the reader in the tailpipe.....is that very accurate?
    The last time I went to dyno just to get numbers, they installed a wide band just to record the air-fuel ratio to include it with the horsepower/torque curves. I do not know the relative accuracy of tailpipe scanning devices.

In my experiences with tuning my cobalt (Direct Injection is a bitch) street tunes and dyno tunes results are really similar. You just have to have the balls to take the car above the speed limit by quite a bit. Tuning was done at WOT in 3rd on the balts since thats closest to 1:1 ratio for that car. When I tune mine, I will just do a street tune and when I have to get to WOT pulls just toss it in 4th and make a few hard runs from 3k to redline. In my very humble opinion, dyno numbers don't really mean shit. You can set up a dyno to show just about anything, put the car in a different gear make it read differently, or run different dynos to get the numbers you want to show. The important thing is the tune being clean, safe, and ballsy enough to make the driver happy.

joeybutts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Reading this thread and watching that after install vid was probably the dumbest thing I could have done. OMG I want one right now.

Awesome install and log lolly and congrats. Mind me asking total bill on full upgrade? Or pm to me?

Ya, we tuned on a *cough* Closed Course *cough*

Ya, we tuned on a *cough* Closed Course *cough*
    Weird, I do too, or in Mexico. Mexico don't care about speed limits, everyone is too busy dodging bullets

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.