$hit just got real! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, $hit just got real! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ah yes, thats a straight piece, hold on, let me look for a 90 edit: http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=9DRESQ thats a 4.25 to ...
    Oh5V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V *SOLD*

Re: $hit just got real!

ah yes, thats a straight piece, hold on, let me look for a 90

edit: http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=9DRESQ
    thats a 4.25 to 4" 90degree elbow. then id still use the 4-3.75 insert. But wow, that elbow is 66 bucks.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Balancer, timing chain, cam, oil pump all off. Time to put it all back together!!

I bought LS7 lifters and a Melling oil pump

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Nice man!

Thanks boss!

Got timing chain, cam, oil pump, cover, balancer all back in and torqued. Some of the pan bolts were kinda difficult to get to, but not as bad as I was making it out to be. Praying for no leaks!

Now time to clean the head surface on the block and get ready for some head

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Wha happun?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Wha happun?
    This.....

trukk, trukk, yooper and 1 others like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Your engine is exposed. Does it run like that?

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Mamo wants me to buy some "semi limited travel race clip Johnson Lifters for $475...which I think is absolutely outrageous.

I called my speed shop guy and he said 2110R (for LSx) Johnson Lifters are $395 for the set. Still crazy priced compared to an LS7 lifter ($140)
    With a "limited travel" lifter, you are either gonna have to make your PR length selection PERFECT, or will have to go with adjustable rockers. Neither of those options really appeals to me.

In my V1, I'md having some stutter over 4.5k RPMs. I'm thinking it may be valve float: either a broken valve spring (I have duals), or a colapsed lifter. My max lift is .609, lobes are XFI/XER. Keep in mind this is after 70k miles. I should have probably swapped out my springs earlier, and I've never cracked the heads, and have 150k OEM lifters. Food for thought in your project.

I will probabaly go with the Morel Link Bars (the middle of the road ones, not the 'street' (which are cast), and not the 'race', which are the limited travel and require adjustable rockers), since I'm captain overkill.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Clutch Mustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now) <-- SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    With a "limited travel" lifter, you are either gonna have to make your PR length selection PERFECT, or will have to go with adjustable rockers. Neither of those options really appeals to me.

In my V1, I'md having some stutter over 4.5k RPMs. I'm thinking it may be valve float: either a broken valve spring (I have duals), or a colapsed lifter. My max lift is .609, lobes are XFI/XER. Keep in mind this is after 70k miles. I should have probably swapped out my springs earlier, and I've never cracked the heads, and have 150k OEM lifters. Food for thought in your project.

I will probabaly go with the Morel Link Bars (the middle of the road ones, not the 'street' (which are cast), and not the 'race', which are the limited travel and require adjustable rockers), since I'm captain overkill.

-Chris
    Well I ended up going with LS7 lifters since my speed shop guy got em to me for $140. I have to measure for pushrods now since I got the heads torqued and ready to plop em in. I hope the LS7 lifters are ok!

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Well I ended up going with LS7 lifters since my speed shop guy got em to me for $140. I have to measure for pushrods now since I got the heads torqued and ready to plop em in. I hope the LS7 lifters are ok!
    There are things to worry about.....this ain't one of them.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Clutch Mustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now) <-- SOLD

-Chris
    Right on man, thanks!

-Chris
    Should I spend the extra coin on the Manton 11/32" .120 thick Pushrods for $225 (Mamo's recommendation) or go with Manley 5/16" .120 thick pushrods for about $150? (speed shop's recommendation)

I'm measuring for pushrod's tonight. So I'll be ordering soon!

Side tidbit:
    Mamo says AFR's have 450 lb of open pressure. LS7 lifters are good to 475 lbs.....so I should be good to go.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

My vote (on how to spend your money, LOL) is for the Mantons. You cannot really get rigidity with hardness/heat treat alone, it comes from the diameter/wall thickness. The Mantons are great push rods.

Edit: FYI _ If you determine the pushrod length using a Comp Cam adjustable pushrod, which is marked 6.80 inches, the answer you get in terms of pushrod length is "gauge length." Guage length is used by Comp Cams, Trend (which makes Comp pushrods) and some other pushrod sellers. Manton uses "actual length" which is 0.017 inch longer than gauge length. I do not know which unit of measure Manley uses.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Fun build to follow, can wait to see your numbers!
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    My vote (on how to spend your money, LOL) is for the Mantons. You cannot really get rigidity with hardness/heat treat alone, it comes from the diameter/wall thickness. The Mantons are great push rods.

Edit: FYI _ If you determine the pushrod length using a Comp Cam adjustable pushrod, which is marked 6.80 inches, the answer you get in terms of pushrod length is "gauge length." Guage length is used by Comp Cams, Trend (which makes Comp pushrods) and some other pushrod sellers. Manton uses "actual length" which is 0.017 inch longer than gauge length. I do not know which unit of measure Manley uses.
    Well my buddy who works for a machine shop and builds engines all the time, came over last night and we used his adjustable pushrod. We put the Yella Terras (using the "shim" which is just a washer) and tightened them down. We only got 7.325 on one and 7.33 on another.

The directions in AFR heads say using roller setup you can be anywhere from 7.300 to 7.550 <-(I think that's the last number, I can't remember) But that seems awfully low to me. Does that seem right? We are going to try it again with a dial guage and see if different results present themselves.

Ok, you talked me into it I'll get the Mantons as soon as I figure out the push rod length for sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.