Replace H&R springs with coil overs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Replace H&R springs with coil overs? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; 1.jpg I'm looking into replacing my current suspension with coil overs. I have a 2004 V with H&R springs. I ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Replace H&R springs with coil overs?

1.jpg
    I'm looking into replacing my current suspension with coil overs. I have a 2004 V with H&R springs. I bought it that way so I can't compare how the car handled stock. The only complaint I have is that it sits a little too low for my taste- she's laying on the ground. I'm also having difficulties getting an alignment...dealership won't touch it and it's too low for most alignment shops. For anyone who wants to know how the H&R springs perform, it drives very nicely. It rides smoothly over rough roads and is very comfortable on the interstate. The tires have never rubbed and it grips tight around corners (Hotchkis anti-roll bars installed).

So the question is...go with coil overs? I was looking at the kw from tirerack, pricey! For that kind of money ~$2k:

1. Is there a performance increase in handling e.g. H&R vs. KW coil overs?
    2. Periodic maintenance associated with daily driving coil overs such as KW variant 3?
    3. Would I be throwing away money for a gain of 0.5" in height?
    4. Any phantom noises from others that have KW coil overs or equivalent?

Any help would be appreciated. I've groomed the forums and found many satisfied with coil overs.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Larimer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: Replace H&R springs with coil overs?

Go to a real alignment shop that does race cars.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I do not have KWs. Based on the reports over the years of those who have installed them though, the the KWs have a reputation of improving the handling on both street and track. The KWs also have NOT been the subject of complaints about noises in contrast, for example to Ground Control setups that can require some tinkering to get quiet.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

If you are only looking for .5", search around a bunch of people have done small adjustments with rubber spacers in the spring perch. H&R tend to sit low in the rear, so people are usually putting the spacers in to just bring the rear up a bit.

You should be able to get it aligned, just a matter of finding a shop that knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just gonna take out the H&R springs and go with the KW coil overs. I'm at 68k with stock shocks, so the upgrade fixes the ride height and resets my maintenance for dampeners not to mention some performance added to the mix. I want to get headers and I think I need the extra clearance, I'm scraping over speed bumps as it is now.

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V | 07 Aprilia Tuono R

You will like the KW setup. If you need even more height just order stiffer springs for the kw kit.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I loved my Ground Controls.

Now to hunt down a deal on the KW variant 3...

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Make sure you get that SW exhaust installed as close as possible to the body.. 3in pipes are a monster.. install it loose, then jack the exhasut up at the resonator and work your way from the front of the car to the rear impacting the single bolt clamps down.. jack it up till its super close tothe drive shaft.. it will settle a back down.. be ready for a workout if your on jack stands
    philistine and philistine like this.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

As soon as budget allows I'm going the same route, my current setup with H&R springs and stock 60k dampners is not cutting it, to low and every small bump in the road sends me to the chiropractor! I like the KW setup, just have to come up with the cash now!

Found some KW coilovers on ebay. These are for $2033.29 free shipping. Thought I could find a better deal...no such luck yet.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1808226..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V | 07 Aprilia Tuono R

Search on Google for the part # under 2k shipped

Make sure you get that SW exhaust installed as close as possible to the body.. 3in pipes are a monster.. install it loose, then jack the exhasut up at the resonator and work your way from the front of the car to the rear impacting the single bolt clamps down.. jack it up till its super close tothe drive shaft.. it will settle a back down.. be ready for a workout if your on jack stands
    I'm wondering if the CS rear end swap would get in the way of these pipes. Did you install the CS kit yet?

Dropped some coin on the kw's. Did the install over the weekend and really took my time - labor of love. Drove it today and I can only parrot what others have said...feels firmly planted! I went from H&R springs to the KW's - night and day difference.

I know there are other write-ups on the install but I took my time and have about 50 photos from how and where to jack up the car to each complete step of the install. I also projected the adjusted height of the car from interpolating the data from KW. This served as a guideline to minimize the guess work of the ride height. My projections thus far are accurate. I can easily do a write-up and provide a procedure of the install along with calculations of projected height vs. actual - and of course the 4-6 week check-up after springs settle. The biggest PITA was figuring out how and where to jack the car and put on stands - I'm big on safety and found a good compromise.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    Dropped some coin on the kw's. Did the install over the weekend and really took my time - labor of love. Drove it today and I can only parrot what others have said...feels firmly planted! I went from H&R springs to the KW's - night and day difference.

I know there are other write-ups on the install but I took my time and have about 50 photos from how and where to jack up the car to each complete step of the install. I also projected the adjusted height of the car from interpolating the data from KW. This served as a guideline to minimize the guess work of the ride height. My projections thus far are accurate. I can easily do a write-up and provide a procedure of the install along with calculations of projected height vs. actual - and of course the 4-6 week check-up after springs settle. The biggest PITA was figuring out how and where to jack the car and put on stands - I'm big on safety and found a good compromise.
    Then do a writeup

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.