Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rev Shift Motor Mounts Install Writeup Tutorial

40K views 88 replies 35 participants last post by  f2000keith 
#1 · (Edited)
So your stock motor mounts look like this?

If they don't yet, they will.

Time to change them out for some nice new Rev Shift Motor Mounts!
(the Nylon Nuts on the RevShifts are 3/4"):

Tools you'll need:

15mm socket
18mm socket
3/4" socket
Jack with piece of wood to distribute weight
External Torx E-10 (or a 8mm socket)
Extensions

Now you have a decision to make.....

Some people take the stock manifolds/or headers off to do this which makes life a lot easier but takes more time
(lots of extensions and an impact, when removing the motor mount brackets from the block)

Or leave the manifold/headers on and get up close and personal with a wrench.

Remove the wheel and dive on in.

This is showing Passenger Side (3 bolts):
Old Motor Mount bolts on block: 15mm

This is showing Driver Side (4 bolts):
Make sure the bolts with studded head go on bottom so the wire loom can be reattached

Here are the new Revshift Mounts inside both brackets. It's upside down in the pic (sorry I was in a hurry and was trying to take pics on the side)
RevShift also told me the factory heat shields are not necessary and were not installed

The Nut on the hex stud is 18mm

This is the same stud removed (you can use a 8mm socket on it if you don't have an E-10 inverted torx socket):

Here's how I lifted the engine block (and how I've done it every MM change)
My buddy Lance's head is now famous

Gratuitous Dipstick shot (some people say they've done it without removing, but I've taken mine out every time since it's like playing Jenga getting the MM bracket out...that bolt is 15mm)
Wrapped headers FTW

This is trying to maneuver the passenger side motor mount block from the engine bay (That nut on top is 18mm):

RevShift mount installed,,,very nice!:

Initial thoughts after I've put 400+ miles on these so far.......

The idle vibration is raised slightly compared to the UUC's. Now I realize this is all subjective....so a little insight:

The UUC's only vibrated slightly more than the stockers, so being the Rev Shift's being a harder urethane than the UUC's you feel the idle just a tad more like as if you had a tiny cam maybe?

The engine feels like it's more planted though like the power is getting transplanted to the ground a lot better. Placebo effect? I don't know.....but I like it.

I got the 80A blue ones (softer street ones) which are only $149.99....can't beat that price!

RevShift makes red ones (track ones) and even harder. So pick your poison.

All in all I'm happy with them because I like my power getting to the pavement. My UUC's weren't bad (I thought they were) but these are much firmer which hopefully translates to HP being used intsead of lost. (Like my butt dyno suggests) I'm digging em!

Here's a link to buy em:
https://www.revshift.com/shop/bushin...s/cadillac.php

If you have any questions, PM me......And I'm out.

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for the write up! I'm doing this soon...

#3 ·
You didn't have to remove your headers to get at the top left bolt to the engine bracket(drivers side-reversed for passengers)?
I was going to replace my collapsed creative steel mounts with a UMI type mount; but then saw that and said screw it for now. Not that it's hard to do; I just didn't have the time.

#9 ·
This will be my 4th time.....I'm pretty good at it now unfortunately lol.

You didn't have to remove your headers to get at the top left bolt to the engine bracket(drivers side-reversed for passengers)?
I was going to replace my collapsed creative steel mounts with a UMI type mount; but then saw that and said screw it for now. Not that it's hard to do; I just didn't have the time.
I did have to remove the driver's side header to get to that bolt. But I put the bolt with the studded head in that position incorrectly. If it was the regular headed bolt, it should be attainable without removing the header.

#12 ·
FYI:

The pic with the heat shield on the mount is just laying on there. It slides down as soon as it's upright.

Revshift is now saying to use the factory heat shields. I'm not sure how this can be done since the Revshift mount passes right through the stock heat shield. You would have to zip tie (steel ties like the ones you use on header wrap) the heat shield around the mount or something.

#17 ·
Give us about a week and we will have a permanent fix for anyone who is concerned with heat. I am very excited about the solution we came up with
I'm excited too but this would have been better if heat shielding was required/recommended beforehand. Btw, I like the transmission mount, good stuff! I like thinking outside the "box" solutions - bravo.

#19 ·
Yeah, sorry about that. We sort of over looked that recommendation at first. Glad to hear you like our crazy ideas, thanks.

Im glad I have waited to install mine, have had them for weeks (trans and MM's) in the box on the shelf waiting for reviews. Interested on the heat shield fix come Rev shift tell us already....
The necessary materials should be arriving today. We hope to have something to show by the weekend.

#24 ·
We now have a heat shield solution for our mounts. They are silicone thermal jackets that fit over our polyurethane motor mounts. They are available on our website now. https://www.revshift.com/shop/silicone-thermal-jackets.php

Acquiring the proper silicone for this application was a bit challenging. It took longer than expected but we are very happy with the material that we chose. The test results were far beyond satisfactory as well.

#26 ·
So is one side more prone than the other? I may have a busted mount??, gotta do some checking.

Etcts-v is close to my HP output, will these mounts or what manufacture has if so a permanent fix to this delema?. My car gets pounded hard every time I take it out(not good to post for resale) just do not want to do this every season.

#30 ·
The Creative-Steel mounts are only $195 now, and they come with heat shields. The RevShifts are $150 w/o shields, and the shields are $40. With the addition of RevShift, Creative-Steel has lowered the price to stay competitive. Soooo...now that they are the same price (roughly), which would be the mounts to go with?

#32 ·
We do not like talking about competitors products but in this case I feel it is necessary. There is a huge difference between our mounts and their mounts. There are different types and grades of polyurethane. Unfortunately, a lot of people, including some companies, are not aware of this. Our competitor, the one in question, uses a type of polyurethane adhesive sealant which is similar to urethane windshield caulk. It is not acceptable material to use as mounts or bushings. This is the reason why you hear about their mounts sagging, cracking, and melting.

Our mounts and bushings are made from a high quality polyurethane polymer that is intended for automotive use. We process the raw materials and mold the parts ourselves. Unlike our competitors, we actually know the science behind polymer production. We have sold many sets of CTS-V motor mounts and have not had one single failure to date. There has been one instance where a customer installed the motor mounts without any heat shielding and had an exhaust leak which pointed directly at the motor mount. This resulted in a surface blemish on the motor mount but did not cause a failure. We recommend heat shields as a preventative measure in the case of an exhaust leak or some other kind of abnormal occurrence. We also offer two different choices of hardness. 80A blue and 95A red, the 80A is recommended for street use and daily driving, the 95A is recommended for race applications due to its stiffness.

#34 ·
that prob one of the reasons i would switch. more clearance for the headers

#40 ·
Yes. As it says on our website, if you are the original purchaser of our polyurethane motor mounts and they break we will send you new mounts.

I will most likely be ordering these in the next few weeks, just had a good look at my mounts and they are toast, I like the price and warranty so Im down to try out a set and see how they hold up over time. A few options around but Im cool with trying out a newer product, good thing winter is almost here and I can get some quality time under my car.
We look forward to having you as a customer. Thank you.

#39 ·
I will most likely be ordering these in the next few weeks, just had a good look at my mounts and they are toast, I like the price and warranty so Im down to try out a set and see how they hold up over time. A few options around but Im cool with trying out a newer product, good thing winter is almost here and I can get some quality time under my car.

#43 ·
I am installing the Edelbrock TVS 2300 and will have to clearance the hood slightly to make things work. So in my case the extra height is a bad thing. If these are trimmed slightly to support this type of application I assume the warranty would be voided. Is that a good assumption?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.