How to replace / upgrade your LS6 in only 369 days!!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How to replace / upgrade your LS6 in only 369 days!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by killernoodle Tension loads are actually not higher on rods than compression loads. Compression loads are definitely higher. ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

re: How to replace / upgrade your LS6 in only 369 days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by killernoodle View Post
    Tension loads are actually not higher on rods than compression loads. Compression loads are definitely higher. Whoever told you that was wrong.

Rods are more likely to break in tension than compression because of the physical properties of steel and the construction of the connecting rod. As with most materials, compressive strength is much higher than it's tensile strength in steels. Add into this the cross section of the rod bolts (area most under stress in connecting rods during tension loading) vs the cross section of the rod itself (the area most under compressive stress during combustion cycle) and you will realize why most rods fail due to tensile loads.
    I think you're misinterpreting his first sentence. His explanation says exactly what you're saying - that rods (or rod bolts) tend to fail under tension at high RPM.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

WOW.

When do you think you'l get back to the track? I'll be at Chin 2/3 Jul, and then at the 24hr chump race 10-12 Aug.

I've got a pile of parts that needs to be installed in my V, before it goes back out. My bigest bummer is I need new shocks, and am not thrilled about 2.5k (ish) to get what I want, and I spent my shock money on the chump car.

Ohh, well, hope to eventually meet you out at VIR!

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    WOW.

When do you think you'l get back to the track? I'll be at Chin 2/3 Jul, and then at the 24hr chump race 10-12 Aug.
    It'll be a while before I'm back on track. A week from Saturday I'm heading out to HI for 2 months of training (half of which will be at sea), and then to Norfolk for a couple more weeks of training, then up to Newport, RI for a couple more weeks, then finally back to Norfolk for good in mid/late September. After that I'll be getting into my new job, which will keep me extremely busy, but I'm hoping I can get to an event in the fall at some point. I've got a bunch of dates on my Google calendar, I'll just have to wait and see if I can make any of them!

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Great read. Its been a long road..poast what eventually clears the idle issue. After my cam and header install I had the car tuned and I have the same issue 20% of the time. Only really happens upon start up and sometimes coming to idle at a stop. I am not getting any codes either.

Sorry for the thread jack and glad to hear its back together. Its an amazing feeling when she comes to life after a build like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    Great read. Its been a long road..poast what eventually clears the idle issue. After my cam and header install I had the car tuned and I have the same issue 20% of the time. Only really happens upon start up and sometimes coming to idle at a stop. I am not getting any codes either.
    I don't know if I'll be able to tell you exactly what fixes the idle issue, I just expect it to be gone when the tune is done. There's nothing crazy about this setup, so it shouldn't be a problem to get the idle tuned properly (IMO). We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I don't know if I'll be able to tell you exactly what fixes the idle issue, I just expect it to be gone when the tune is done. There's nothing crazy about this setup, so it shouldn't be a problem to get the idle tuned properly (IMO). We shall see...
    That was my thoughts exactly. I had to take the car back a second time and it mostly fixed it, but it still happens. Its embarrassing when you first start it up and everyone hears the growl and heads turn then the car stumbles and dies.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

this is a wild thread, i have never seen a motor damaged like that before.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

What a great thread.....thanks for all the pics and the explanations. Sorry your motor lunched itself, but you made the comeback!

JRane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Great thread!! Sorry about it blowing up on you like that I had something similar happen to me when my radiator blew Took me almost 7 months to put it back together. So I know the feeling but glad to see you got it going again.

Unfortunately, looks like it's going to be a couple months before I see the results of my labors. For some reason the car doesn't want to play with HP Tuners or EFI Live. (The same tuner previously used HP Tuners on it without issue.) If he pulls the ECU out of the car, he can interface with it just fine, but if the ECU is in the car there's apparently some other module that kicks on as the tuning software is about 3/4 through its cycle and interrupts the write process. He's never seen the issue before, and apparently the two tuning software companies were at a bit of a loss, too. He's out of town the latter half of this week, so troubleshooting is at a stop, and I'm leaving for 2 months of training as of Saturday. Bummer.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Pat I remember back in the day (Diablotuner 2003) the tunes didn't play well with OnStar, DRLs, and voltage drops, etc.
    Maybe try pulling a few of those fuses and hook up a battery charger. Its worth a shot...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

What year is yours? My tuner had same issues at first but was able to reload the tune. I heard of some 04's having this problem. Not sure how credible that info is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    Pat I remember back in the day (Diablotuner 2003) the tunes didn't play well with OnStar, DRLs, and voltage drops, etc.
    Maybe try pulling a few of those fuses and hook up a battery charger. Its worth a shot...
    Interesting thought about the battery charger, I'll mention that to the tuner. He told me before he went out of town that when he comes back he was going to bypass all the body modules and then bring them back on one-by-one to figure out what's causing the problem.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

After a few month hiatus (while I was out in HI for training and the car was back in VA waiting for me to return)...

The numbers:

Or, the STD correction (bigger numbers for better bench racing performance ):

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Great numbers and great thread.. thanks for poasting pics of all that carnage

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.