How to replace / upgrade your LS6 in only 369 days!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How to replace / upgrade your LS6 in only 369 days!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; June 7, 2012: She lives! (One (leap) year and 3 days after the engine blew.) It wasn't exactly seamless, but ...
    AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

re: How to replace / upgrade your LS6 in only 369 days!!!

June 7, 2012:

She lives! (One (leap) year and 3 days after the engine blew.)

It wasn't exactly seamless, but it's running. The Service Theft System warning cleared itself - the relearn process for that just teaches it to recognize your key, so I guess using the key last night was enough for it to recognize it. I found two different relearn / reset procedures related to the throttle body, so I tried both of those and then started it up. It was idling pretty rough and had a CEL - two different codes (0220 and 2135), both related to the throttle body / TPS. I had to give it gas to keep it running, and I was seeing a lot of oil smoke out the tailpipes. Like, worrying amounts of oil smoke. I wasn't too surprised that there was some oil in the exhaust from the old engine, but even after idling for a couple minutes at 1500-2000rpm it was still coming out pretty heavy.

So, after keeping it at 1500-2000rpm for a couple/few minutes, I shut it down and went to change the oil. While the oil was draining, I checked the LS2/3-to-LS1/6 throttle body conversion harness. Sho' nuff, one of the pins was bent. I managed to straighten that out,carefully put the harness back together, and powered the car up again. Cleared the codes, no more Engine Power Reduced warning. Hooray! Started it again and it was able to idle by itself. And, strangely enough, the oil smoke was gone.

I had been thinking earlier today that I would drive the car if I got it started, but I had forgotten to account for the fact the hood is sitting on the roof. Tomorrow my brother will come over so we can resolve that issue. I will most likely get the car delivered back to Zip Corvette down by Richmond this weekend so they can tune it again next week, and at last this saga will be complete!

June 9, 2012:

Put some miles on it Friday before meeting up with family for dinner, and then again afterwards. Feels strong, and I'm not even getting into yet. Just doing some moderate acceleration, then letting it coast down to help seat the rings. One way or another I want to get it delivered to the tuner this weekend so he can re-tune it.

June 10, 2012:

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit
    BTW it's amazing the car fired up, idled, and now pulls hard with a cam and head upgrade on a stock tune. My car started but barely ran until the tuner had at it. The 115 LSA will make you happy on the street.
    The idle is somewhat finicky - I've started it now maybe a dozen times or so, and about 50% of the time it has started and idled on its own. The other 50% of the times it died unless I gave it a little gas. Rolling up to a stop sign/light I had to give it gas - it wouldn't drop down to an idle on its own after I put the clutch in. The actual driving has been perfectly fine, maybe the slightest hiccups on tip-in, but not bad at all. The ECM was tuned for the headers a while back, but I wouldn't think that would make much difference with the heads/cam/intake/TB that have just been added to the mix.

My brother and I delivered it to Zip Corvette this morning. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what sort of numbers it puts down, and looking forward to being able to confidently mash the pedal to the floor.

June 19, 2012:

Got the old engine out of the corner of the garage and started tearing the shortblock down so I can scrap the thing. It's basically a bare block now, except the cam won't come out. What's strange is that I had been able to turn the crank (with the timing chain still attached), but now the cam doesn't want to move. I'll try righting the engine tomorrow - maybe being upside-down cause the cam to shift just enough that it's bound up.

And I know what it's bound up on - one of the rod bolts. I don't know if my pictures came out well at all, but I'll post a couple up here shortly. One of the rod bolts is smashed in between the cam lobe and the top of the cam tunnel in the cylinder 5/6 area. The bolt has actually been curved to fit the top of the tunnel, and the cam lobe has machined probably 1/32" or more off the side of the bolt. Very impressive to see and appreciate the forces involved in deforming that high strength steel fastener like that! Hopefully I can manage to get the cam out, so I can then get the bolt out for some better pictures.

After this many posts in a row, I suppose a double post was inevitable.

So, that gets us caught up to now. I still haven't been able to get the cam out, so the block will just go to the metal scrap recycler with the cam stuck in there.

Justin @ Zip Corvette is working on tuning the car this week. I'm hoping I'll be able to go retrieve it on Saturday, but I need to get an update from Justin to find out where he's at. I will definitely post up the dyno graphs once I've got it back.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

jcollege is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Raven CTS-V

Wow man just went through all of the posts, awesome build, congrats on getting it done!

Cobrahunter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Cts-V

glad to see im not the only one that has trouble swapping engines..... mating up the engine to the transmission is a pain!!!!

Good job!!!!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Pat, that was a great read just now! What a saga! Couldn't wait till I finally read the post where the new motor fired up. Whew!

BTW, good luck with your move.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

TheLostDriver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

Lookin forward to an update!

Tuner had some scheduling issues with dyno time, so looks like I won't get the car back this weekend. Sad panda is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    BTW, good luck with your move.
    Thanks. As often as I've done it in the past 10 years, one would think I would get good at it, but as per usual I'll be spending the last couple days before the movers come scrambling to get stuff organized. It doesn't help that I've got a few months between the time I leave here and the time I actually settle at my final location, so I need to figure out what stuff I'll need along the way and thus can't let the movers take.
    2002 - CT to HI
    2005 - HI to DC area
    2006 - DC area to RI
    2008 - RI to WA
    2010 - WA to DC area
    2012 - DC area to Norfolk, VA

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    2002 - CT to HI
    2005 - HI to DC area
    2006 - DC area to RI
    2008 - RI to WA
    2010 - WA to DC area
    2012 - DC area to Norfolk, VA
    One good thing is it gives you the ability to experience tracks all over the place.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Rakenjevnk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Epic Thread AAIIIC. Thanks for posting & for all the pictures.

killernoodle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V --- the RED one :)

That is some of the gnarliest engine gore I've ever seen.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Epic Thread Indeed, thanks for sharing!!

Tension loads are actually not higher on rods than compression loads. Compression loads are definitely higher. Whoever told you that was wrong.

Rods are more likely to break in tension than compression because of the physical properties of steel and the construction of the connecting rod. As with most materials, compressive strength is much higher than it's tensile strength in steels. Add into this the cross section of the rod bolts (area most under stress in connecting rods during tension loading) vs the cross section of the rod itself (the area most under compressive stress during combustion cycle) and you will realize why most rods fail due to tensile loads. A rod will have a maximum tensile load at the max RPM the engine is turning. The tensile load is also proportional to the RPM itself. Compressive loads are variable by the cylinder pressure, that is why you see most rod failures in turbo motors coming from detonation and the rods bend rather than break outright. As long as you aren't turning too many rpms that is.

Whoops double post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.