Looking at the LS7 clutch combo - what else should I do?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Looking at the LS7 clutch combo - what else should I do? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So the vibration from my transmission has caused me to finally bite the bullet and replace the clutch (and flywheel). ...
    perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

Looking at the LS7 clutch combo - what else should I do?

So the vibration from my transmission has caused me to finally bite the bullet and replace the clutch (and flywheel). My 05V currently has 75k miles.

I was planning on ordering the following LS7 kit (with lightweight RAM flywheel) from sdparts.com:
    http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...enter/sdls7ack

However, it says "IF you are using this kit or the stock SDLS7CK on a CTS-V, you must use a spacer for slave cylinder as well. The spacer is located here":
    http://sdparts.com/product/KAT3816/C...CYLSPACER.aspx (link is broken or they are out of stock).

Is it confirmed that this LS7 kit needs to have spacer for the slave cylinder? If so - does anyone know where I can purchase this?

While I'm tearing apart the under side of the car - any other recommendations for things I should replace? Shifter bushings, Delrin bushings, transmission mount/bushings, etc??

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Looking at the LS7 clutch combo - what else should I do?

This is your opportunity to make a MAJOR upgrade to the driveability of this car. Unfortunately, this is the single hardest installation that you can do. That said, the goal is worthy: that stock setup is such a mushy piece of crap...if you lived in my area, I'd help you for free just to see the look on your face when you got back in the car.

You don't need a spacer if you upgrade the slave cylinder. As someone who's been down this route many times, I HIGHLY recommend buying a LS7 slave and avoiding anything to do with spacers. I've been running the PowerTorque CS2529 for over a year now with zero problems.

While you're in there, you'll want to install a stainless steel remote bleeder (18" or greater), the RevShift transmission block, UUC or Creative Steel shifter bushings, and a short shifter (either the PISNUOFF one, or the 2nd generation Katech model sold by Lingenfelter, which I recommend). If you're feeling fancy, you can also pick up a 2nd generation CTS-V shift knob with the color flag, like so:

Definitely replace the transmission fluid while you're down there. My recommendation is 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF and 1 quart Redline MTL 70W80 GL-4. That'll make the transmission much quieter than before and has better protective properties than Mobil 1 ATF (which many still recommend).

You may want to look into replacing the rear differential bushing with the Creative Steel differential bushing and adding the Creative Steel differential block. If you're going to go down that route, also buy yourself a gallon of Redline 75W140 for the differential. You'll thank me later when it feels like you lost 200 lbs off the back end of the car.

Tools-wise: buy the Harbor Freight transmission jack ($75). Seriously. If you doubt me on this, let me know and I'll give you my cell phone number. We'll have a conversation about how that jack will turn the two man, all-afternoon job of getting the transmission back into the car into a one man, 45 minute job. You'll also need 3-4 feet of extension for your socket wrench (if you didn't already know this, you need to stop and gather more how-to's), that one Torx bit--I think it's T40 but someone else will hopefully chime in--to remove the transmission brace, the 26-spline tool if the kit doesn't come with it, and a torque wrench so that you don't make the same mistake I did and over-torque the pressure plate (results in low clutch engagement).

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    I think fuzzy nailed it! Great advice and like he said go with the new LS7 slave, when I swapped mine (have 60k miles) the slave was already a little rough around the edges, glad i have new now.

I got the SDparts kit and the LS7 slave from Oriellys.
    perfect and perfect like this.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Change out all the shifter linkage bushings while you have the trans out! It will remove almost all the side to side slop in the shifter and only cost $30 or so. Contact PISNUOFF about the brass center linkage bushing, you can get the others in the electrical pvc aisle of home depot.
    perfect, perfect, RADEoN and 1 others like this.

perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

Thanks a lot for the awesome responses guys (especially Fuzzy!). I've got some reading to do and need to butter up my mechanic friend with the lifts (and good tools). I'll be ordering a lot of these parts - so I'm sure I'll be back on the board to ask more questions!

Quote Originally Posted by perfect View Post
    Thanks a lot for the awesome responses guys (especially Fuzzy!). I've got some reading to do and need to butter up my mechanic friend with the lifts (and good tools). I'll be ordering a lot of these parts - so I'm sure I'll be back on the board to ask more questions!
    By the way, it's a T47 torx bit that you need.
    perfect and perfect like this.

mike600rr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 V with Maggie

Thanks for asking the question and providing the info guys! +1

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

I am half ways through doing this job now. Let me add one more vote for the harbor freight transmission jack, but don't buy the $75 one, get the "800lb jack" it has adjustors to tilt it forward and side to side, this was helpful getting it out, and should make re-installing even easier.

I was set to buy the cheaper one, but my local store was out, and i didn't want to wait any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gurney View Post
    I am half ways through doing this job now. Let me add one more vote for the harbor freight transmission jack, but don't buy the $75 one, get the "800lb jack" it has adjustors to tilt it forward and side to side, this was helpful getting it out, and should make re-installing even easier.

I was set to buy the cheaper one, but my local store was out, and i didn't want to wait any longer.
    Anything in particular that you need help with? Have you gotten the bellhousing off yet? That's the most mind-numbingly obnoxious part with the original flywheel in place, since it's so thick.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

the trick to the bell housing for me was to pull the starter off, or at least back then i could rotate it around far enough for it to fall right out. (with the starter in it was not coming out.)

I just need my slave cylinder to get here now so I can get it all back together oh yeah and i still need the LAPD-bleeder... and my CS diff block... to arrive as well, the UPS guy is going to love me this week.

On the plus side i did get the home depot electric box "shifter bushings" modified and fitted yesterday. It is actually nice having a little while to get it all apart and back together again.

Then once the car is buttoned up I get to tear my wrangler apart to fix the notorious cracked header, and broken motor mounts.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): All of them

just my .02. I keep the LS7 "kit" in stock. flywheel, clutch, AND slave cylinder (no spacer required) for $648.00 plus a little shipping
    Luke Butler
    703-647-8670
    lbutler@lindsaycadillac.com

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Quote Originally Posted by If you're feeling fancy, you can also pick up a 2nd generation CTS-V shift knob with the color flag, like so:

[IMG
    http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/JD03Cobra/453.jpg[/IMG]
    Just bought and installed this V2 shifter knob myself. 116 to my door from Lindsay...

Calderon979 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Where can i find this shift knob?

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V, 2005 CTS-V for sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Calderon979
    Where can i find this shift knob?
    Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac.

Sweetwilliebrownjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-V

I actually ground the weld off the stud that goes through where the brass bushings go, knocked the stud out, and used a bolt to basically solid mount it. I also tack welded the ball socket where it goes to the actual shift mechanism, and I ordered bearings for the spot where the shifter bolts to the linkage. I have about 1/4" of slack. (due to the detent on the shift rail) and other than that, it's solid precise shifting. Not a sing ill effect, except awesomeness if you're square!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.