Revshift Trans Mount Insert ? - Page 6
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 121
Like Tree16Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Revshift Trans Mount Insert ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just installed the Revshift motor mounts and the insert. My stock motor mounts were completely toast. I am having ...
  1. #76
    Ryan K is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    I just installed the Revshift motor mounts and the insert. My stock motor mounts were completely toast. I am having an issue with 2nd and 4th gear. The shifter knob hits the shifter bezel when pulling 2nd and 4th and makes it hard to get into those gears in a hurry. Help...

  2. #77
    Ryan K is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    Found my problem, the shifter to body bolts were loose.. No that that's fixed I love it!

  3. #78
    SupertreyG's Avatar
    SupertreyG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    18

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    I have had my V for about 2 months and thought i would add my 2 cents to this subject.

    I replaced my motor mounts last month with the revshift blue mounts, then installed the transmission mount insert the next weekend. I noticed an increase in sound in the cab similar to some of the previous posts. Some additional vibrations were felt initially, mainly in the floorboard and pedals.

    The vibrations did reduce to an unnoticeable point after a few weeks, but the noise is what I find intolerable. It can be heard at almost all rpm, and is similar to an exhaust sound except higher pitch. I also now hear more transmission noise, for example, gears clicking during shifting and spinning sounds while in neutral.

    I have no complaints against the revshift insert as a product, it really gave the shifting a much better and more solid feel. However, vibration and noise is an individual preference, and for me it is a little too much. My V is stock and my daily driver, so comfort slightly outweighs performance in this area.

    I read some other threads about Creative Steel's "caddy soft" mount and some people who tried it with success in terms of vibration/sound. They don't make that mount anymore but have a new style mount that is supposed to be good for reducing the vibrations. I'm going to give it a try. It has a hardness of 40 versus the Revshift insert at 80. After I get it installed this weekend I will give a report back.

  4. #79
    Scott2012's Avatar
    Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    I gotta wonder... I replaced the MM and added the trans insert with revshift blue. My shifts are smoother, engine doesn't sway anymore and no shutter at shut down. I have no added vibrations or noise... I wonder if there's some else that could be causing vibration/noise issues as some get it, and like me, some don't.

  5. #80
    SupertreyG's Avatar
    SupertreyG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    18

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    I few words about the Creative Steel mount. It appears to be good quality in its construction. The polyurethane is softer, it gives a little when I push on it hard with my fingernail, the Revshift I couldn't make an indention. This is logical as the CS mount is 40 hardness and the Revshift is 80. The holes properly aligned with the transmission and the studs on the bottom were straight, aligned easily in the support and had plenty of length.

    PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying the Revshift is a poor product or inferior construction! I am completely satisfied with their motor mounts and am considering using some of their bushings.

    I installed the the transmission mount and tested it out. The quality of the shifting is still good and it goes into reverse easily. There are no new or noticeable vibrations, similar to the revshift once it "broke in."

    The biggest difference is in the sound. There is no more spinning sound from the transmission or gear clicking sounds as I mentioned in my earlier post. The car is much quieter throughout the RPM range, though not back to the Cadillac quiet with the original mount. I can hear the radio better at highway speeds and don't have any reverberating or droning sounds.

    The important thing is that, for my use, it is quiet enough. I think I had realistic expectations. I did not expect to obtain stock sound levels, but rather reduce the noise to a level tolerable to me. If this was a pure play car or a track car these would not have been issues for me. The CS mount gave me a good blend of accurate shifting and low noise/vibration levels.

    Hope this helps anyone debating the two and what they are using it for!

  6. #81
    Charlie Costello is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Red CTS-V and a Silver 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Medina, Ohio
    Posts
    62

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    After doing the LS7 clutch kit from East Coast Performance two week ago, I order the revshift insert. I went to install it today, and my transmount looked brand new after 150k miles. I thought why not install anyway. Dropped the front of the Corsa exhaust and jacked up the trans as mentioned in this thread. I used the lube they sent as well as spraying "rubber lube" into the cavities of the mount. Used a 10" long 2X4 and placed it against the insert. About 10 blows later with an 8 lb. hammer on the 2X4, wala, it was in. I only have driven it about 9 miles home from my shop, but I like it a lot. Feels better, and a slight increase in trans gear whining, but it lessened after a few miles. I believe it to be a worthwhile mod since I am also doing the carrier modification with the windshield butyl in two weeks.

  7. #82
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern IN
    Posts
    956

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    On the stock mount, what holds the rubber to the metal plates ?

    I have the insert in there, but 1st and Reverse do not seem to slide in like I remember when I first installed the insert. Trans has been replaced since; insert is still in there. Just wondering if the rubber is separating from the mount.

  8. #83
    Charlie Costello is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Red CTS-V and a Silver 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Medina, Ohio
    Posts
    62

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    The rubber is bonded to the steel components. Do not know the process though. Been doing motor mounts the same way for over 60 years.

  9. #84
    SupertreyG's Avatar
    SupertreyG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    18

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    On the stock mount, what holds the rubber to the metal plates ?

    I have the insert in there, but 1st and Reverse do not seem to slide in like I remember when I first installed the insert. Trans has been replaced since; insert is still in there. Just wondering if the rubber is separating from the mount.
    Even if the rubber separated, it is all held together by gravity and that big center pin.

  10. #85
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern IN
    Posts
    956

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SupertreyG View Post
    Even if the rubber separated, it is all held together by gravity and that big center pin.
    I kinda thought so; figured I'd check with you guys too though. Din't know if it could shift around or anything.
    Seems as I'm slowing to a stop, if I push to 1st just before stopping it pops right in; if I complete stop there's just a little more effort needed.
    No issues though, just curious. Thanks.

  11. #86
    Mongopush is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS V
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Age
    38
    Posts
    93

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    I just had my Revshift motor mounts installed and the trans mount insert,I have no added vibration or noise. Now my shifts are clean and its easy to find the gears. I still have some drive line slack but I believe its mostly due to the rear diff bushing which they said is toast, next on my list. So far I'm loving it, honestly it just made me aware of how bad it was before the swap. I had no clue since the car was new to me with 66k miles on it.

  12. #87
    PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    167

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Costello View Post
    I am also doing the carrier modification with the windshield butyl in two weeks.
    Just a note on this, it might just have been generic terminology, but for anyone filling the driveshaft carrier bearing rubber bushing, you do not want to use a "butyl" material. You are looking for a polyurethane windshield adhesive. Butyl caulk was commonly used for sealing gasketed windows, but butyl has no physical strength in either the non-skinning or skinning variety. Again, it could have been terminology but I'm just clarifying for those looking into the mod.
    -PJ

  13. #88
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern IN
    Posts
    956

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SupertreyG View Post
    I few words about the Creative Steel mount. It appears to be good quality in its construction. The polyurethane is softer, it gives a little when I push on it hard with my fingernail, the Revshift I couldn't make an indention. This is logical as the CS mount is 40 hardness and the Revshift is 80. The holes properly aligned with the transmission and the studs on the bottom were straight, aligned easily in the support and had plenty of length.

    PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying the Revshift is a poor product or inferior construction! I am completely satisfied with their motor mounts and am considering using some of their bushings.

    I installed the the transmission mount and tested it out. The quality of the shifting is still good and it goes into reverse easily. There are no new or noticeable vibrations, similar to the revshift once it "broke in."

    The biggest difference is in the sound. There is no more spinning sound from the transmission or gear clicking sounds as I mentioned in my earlier post. The car is much quieter throughout the RPM range, though not back to the Cadillac quiet with the original mount. I can hear the radio better at highway speeds and don't have any reverberating or droning sounds.

    The important thing is that, for my use, it is quiet enough. I think I had realistic expectations. I did not expect to obtain stock sound levels, but rather reduce the noise to a level tolerable to me. If this was a pure play car or a track car these would not have been issues for me. The CS mount gave me a good blend of accurate shifting and low noise/vibration levels.

    Hope this helps anyone debating the two and what they are using it for!
    Do you think there is any difference in shifter movement between the CS Mount, and the RevShift insert ?

    I'm less concerned with noise and more interested in smoothest fluid shifting.

  14. #89
    SupertreyG's Avatar
    SupertreyG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    18

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    No difference that I can see in the movement of the shifter. Reverse is still a little tricky sometimes, however, a quick shift to second and then to reverse usually works smoothly.

    Other than that shifts are smooth.

  15. #90
    EnV
    EnV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    103

    Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

    Installed the trans mount insert a few months ago. First and reverse still give me trouble sometimes and once a day I'll have problems getting it into gear smoothly between shifts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting