Revshift Trans Mount Insert ? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Revshift Trans Mount Insert ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I installed this today with the tips from Fuzzy it went extremely smooth. I was able to pry it in ...
    xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

I installed this today with the tips from Fuzzy it went extremely smooth. I was able to pry it in without much issue.

I put the vehicle on the ground and shifted gears and it felt good real solid I was excited had just gotten out of an 11 hour shift had been up for over 24hours and went to bed. Woke up late and had to head back into work. I reversed out of my driveway and it felt great. I started driving put it in first... then second? Second? What the hell. Trying to get it into second gear while moving was extremely difficult and when you got it in it would vibrate horrifically unless i held it to the bottom left of the shifter gate with all my strength then it wouldn't vibrate. I said ok lets try 3rd and that was smooth like first. I then tried 4th and everytime you tried to put it in it sound like gears grinding it was terrible. I put it in 5th that was fine even 6th was ok.

Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? I have the (custom short shifter) and am thinking of maybe adjusting that bottom bolt that hooks to the linkage. I know people have said sometimes if the nut is too tight or loose it can cause issues but does anyone else have any ideas?

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
    I installed this today with the tips from Fuzzy it went extremely smooth. I was able to pry it in without much issue.

I put the vehicle on the ground and shifted gears and it felt good real solid I was excited had just gotten out of an 11 hour shift had been up for over 24hours and went to bed. Woke up late and had to head back into work. I reversed out of my driveway and it felt great. I started driving put it in first... then second? Second? What the hell. Trying to get it into second gear while moving was extremely difficult and when you got it in it would vibrate horrifically unless i held it to the bottom left of the shifter gate with all my strength then it wouldn't vibrate. I said ok lets try 3rd and that was smooth like first. I then tried 4th and everytime you tried to put it in it sound like gears grinding it was terrible. I put it in 5th that was fine even 6th was ok.

Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? I have the (custom short shifter) and am thinking of maybe adjusting that bottom bolt that hooks to the linkage. I know people have said sometimes if the nut is too tight or loose it can cause issues but does anyone else have any ideas?
    So far we have heard nothing but great things from the dozens of people who have installed the insert. I have a feeling the issue is related to your custom short shifter. Also, if your motor mounts are sagging it could cause the trans to be angled as well. Keep us posted on what you figure out.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Hmmm.... wonder if you should grind it down a little, so its not quite as tall.

Dealer is finishing up my car then I have to work Thurs and Fri, so I'll probably put mine in on Sat.

Fuzzy, yours still working out fine ?

I do still have the stock shifter in, UUC on the way planning on installing this insert first, so i'll be able to compare the insert with both shifters.

@Revshift I was hoping not to have to change my mounts but it looks like I may have to do that sooner than later if I cant figure this out. I am most likely going to try and modify the bolt and see if that helps. Fuzzy what short shifter are you using currently?

@SevillianSTS I was thinking the same thing as it seems like the angle is most likely off but I dont want to start grinding it down. I am going to have to take a look at it again tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to share

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

I'm using the 2nd generation Katech short shifter. I haven't seen what the DIY shifter looks like on the bottom, but it seems like you might've bent something on that shifter during the installation.

Was the shifter in 1st or reverse during the install?

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

When I installed the insert I did a custom short throw similar to the pisnuoff (sp?) version, and upgraded all shifter bushings. This combo made my shifts more solid and have less play than the TR6060 shifters in the 5th gen camaros.

xbladr: pop the shifter handle/surround off and make sure the shifter is hitting or binding on anything in the console (like the big chunk of foam or rubber grommet) from boost in height from the insert. try removing that stuff and see if you can shift into 2nd and 4th . If not in there, jack up the car and have someone try to put it in second and forth while you're watching from underneath to see what is binding.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    When I installed the insert I did a custom short throw similar to the pisnuoff (sp?) version, and upgraded all shifter bushings. This combo made my shifts more solid and have less play than the TR6060 shifters in the 5th gen camaros.

xbladr: pop the shifter handle/surround off and make sure the shifter is hitting or binding on anything in the console (like the big chunk of foam or rubber grommet) from boost in height from the insert. try removing that stuff and see if you can shift into 2nd and 4th . If not in there, jack up the car and have someone try to put it in second and forth while you're watching from underneath to see what is binding.
    @Fuzzy I did the shifter about 9 months ago but i believe it was in neutral during install. I would link you to another forum that had pictures of the shifter I installed but am not sure if that is agains forum rules/policy or not

@NC-V Thanks I will give that a shot. If I am sitting still i can put it in every gear in fact it seems to go in nicely or atleast it feels like it is going in every gear. Mine is also similar to brians (pisnuoff).

Adjusted the bolt this morning with no luck all it seemed to do was make it easier (loosen) or harder (tighten) to get it into 5,6, or R. Any other ideas guys I can feel it go into gear when im sitting there put the clutch in you can feel it nice and solid in 2 and 4 but when you go to drive if i dont pull it real hard bottom left second gear will rattle and you can feel it... 4th gear you can't really get it in and when i did at slow speed it almost feels like a clutch or flywheel spinning around and at a certain point its u can feel the bump... bump... bump... bump.. with that pause and the faster in the rpm range u go the faster you feel the vibration.

I may just yank this revshift block out. I am not blaming revshift but, not sure what else to try.

PISNUOFF Guest

Sounds exactly like the linkage is hitting the driveshaft yoke. I'm pretty sure you welded a 1" diameter pipe on the bottom which lowers the linkage just about 1". My shifters use to hit with the UUC mount because it is 3/8" taller than the stock mount. I reduced the length of my insert and inverted the pivot ball housing which brought the linkage up about 3/8" and now there are no issues with my shifters and the UUC mount combo. If you don't want to or can't modify the shifter differently you can insert a shim plate between the metal pivot retainer and the linkage bracket and notch out the plastic retaining plate inside the console. This will raise the entire assembly into the console.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Brian like a badass with the answer.
    PISNUOFF and PISNUOFF like this.

Brian thanks dude as always extremely helpful

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Sounds exactly like the linkage is hitting the driveshaft yoke. I'm pretty sure you welded a 1" diameter pipe on the bottom which lowers the linkage just about 1". My shifters use to hit with the UUC mount because it is 3/8" taller than the stock mount. I reduced the length of my insert and inverted the pivot ball housing which brought the linkage up about 3/8" and now there are no issues with my shifters and the UUC mount combo. If you don't want to or can't modify the shifter differently you can insert a shim plate between the metal pivot retainer and the linkage bracket and notch out the plastic retaining plate inside the console. This will raise the entire assembly into the console.
    This definitely makes sense. When I modified my shifter, I didn't use 1" pipe, The material I used only extends about 3/4" lower than the original shifter bottom and with the height boost from the insert, it is tight down there. Let us know what you find!

PISNUOFF Guest

Sagging motor mounts and a taller trans mount may be contributing to the increased height of the driveshaft but the major factor is the bottom of the shifter is too low.

Just put mine in, got home from work and couldn't wait until tomorrow.... well "today" now.

info on car:
    new trans has 700 miles on it
    stock motor mounts installed by dealer yesterday
    stock shifter, for now... UUC on the way
    Borla cat back exhaust -pretty mellow until you get on it quite a bit.
    GForce axles

I like it. It does change the feel of the shifter slightly. I think it may have helped with my wheel hop a little more also. Reverse is easier to get into; wasn't difficult with the new trans... but its even easier now. I feel zero additional vibrations, quarters in my little change holder by the cup holders did not make a sound while on my test drive. Shifter sits perfectly still also, while driving and when idling.

I do think the car "seems" louder now though, just a little, only noticeable when the windows are up. I hear the exhaust more... not that it is bad.
    Either it is transmitting the sound, or maybe lifting the trans to install moved my exhaust around a little and I need to re-tighten.

For sure overpriced; but if I was making these and selling them.... I'd probably charge 50 bucks too.

Yes, car definitely sounds different, you guys think its the insert ? or do I need to get under there and check for exhaust leaks. I'll probably check anyways, but figured I'd get some opinions too.

thanks
    V user and V user like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.