Revshift Trans Mount Insert ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Revshift Trans Mount Insert ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by xbladr I just ordered it and will definitely be putting it in the freezer overnight to help ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Revshift Trans Mount Insert ?

Quote Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
    I just ordered it and will definitely be putting it in the freezer overnight to help move the process along but I had the same idea jack up the tranny relieve some stress shove the mother f'er in there
    Are you insane? It's rubber. Putting it in the freezer is not going to help you--in fact, it's going to hurt you. Big time.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    I just installed the insert and motor mounts. No need to remove the mount, takes 15 min or less.
    -Get the exhaust pipes out of your way (removed the midpipes on my corsa).
    -Put a jack under the back of the trans with a block of wood inbetween.
    -Jack up the back of the trans until the mount hits its uptravel limiter.
    -Lube up the insert
    -Shove it in the gap in the mount (this will take some force. I got it started then bumped it in with a dead blow hammer)
    -Drop jack
    -Re-install midpipes
    -Enjoy no extra vibes, less trans movement and a non-sunk trans mount

I am quite pleased with the whole package (motor and trans mounts)
    Great workaround! My transmission was not in the car when I put mine in and the mount was crushed almost completely flat.

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    Great workaround! My transmission was not in the car when I put mine in and the mount was crushed almost completely flat.
    I tried the exact same thing earlier with poor results. I think his transmission mount is softer / more worn than mine is (24k miles on my 06).

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Are you insane? It's rubber. Putting it in the freezer is not going to help you--in fact, it's going to hurt you. Big time.
    Isn't it a polyurethane; more of a plastic.

Anyways... Got mine on order

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I tried the exact same thing earlier with poor results. I think his transmission mount is softer / more worn than mine is (24k miles on my 06).
    I have 65k on my 05. By no means am I saying it slid right in, but if you jack it up all the way to the stop, lube it, get the front lip/edge started into the mount then you can beat it in with a dead blow hammer. When you are putting it in watch the slot in the insert and make sure the edges aren't getting caught on the center post of the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    I have 65k on my 05. By no means am I saying it slid right in, but if you jack it up all the way to the stop, lube it, get the front lip/edge started into the mount then you can beat it in with a dead blow hammer. When you are putting it in watch the slot in the insert and make sure the edges aren't getting caught on the center post of the mount.
    Yeah that wouldn't have been possible with mine, dead blow hammer and lube made zero difference when I tried it, the main problem was the sides of the mount not the top and bottom. I had to get one side a quarter way in then crunch the other side and use a screw driver while my roommate used the hammer to beat it in, chewed it up a bit.

That said it would have been a lot easier if my transmission had been in the car.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

How much more work would be involved in just removing the stock mount to press this insert into it ?

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Fuzzy it is not "RUBBER" it is a polyurethane similar to what the dif bushing is from CS. Multiple people including myself have frozen the dif bushing with great results. Even if freezing the mount doesnt help thats fine but it certainly wont hurt. However, I would be all ears to hear your explanation on how the freezer will hurt a poly bushing

Fuzzy it is not "RUBBER" it is a polyurethane similar to what the dif bushing is from CS. Multiple people including myself have frozen the dif bushing with great results. Even if freezing the mount doesnt help thats fine but it certainly wont hurt. However, I would be all ears to hear your explanation on how the freezer will hurt a poly bushing
    The reason why you freeze the differential bushing is to shrink its steel shell prior to installation.

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    How much more work would be involved in just removing the stock mount to press this insert into it ?
    Not much although I think you best bet would be to try NC-V's approach first as it gives you a way to force open the mount with a jack.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

it won't hurt the bushing, but if it freezes the rubber and makes it less pliable, i could see how you'd run into issues putting it in.

Just got RevShift transmission mount installed. Now that I'm finished, I could probably repeat the installation in less than 10 minutes. Instructions:
    1. Put car on jacks. Don't bother removing the exhaust or prepping your vehicle in any other way.
    2. Put hydraulic jack under back of transmission (forward of the transmission brace) and lift until vehicle is almost taken off the jack stands. That'll open the gap slightly.
    3. Lube the RevShift transmission block. Get under the car and use a normal hammer to get the front edge seated equally in the gap on both sides.
    4. Turn the hammer sideways and jam the head up past the transmission mount into the propeller flange. Now you have a lever. Push the handle of the hammer toward the front of the car, forcing the transmission block into the mount. You might have to re-seat the hammer a couple of times to get the right angle.

Impressions: my transmission mount only has 24k miles on it, so it was in very good shape. However, there was a very clear difference between the feel of the car before and after the RevShift transmission block installation. The most obvious change was the fact that by raising the back end of the transmission slightly, more pressure was placed on the shifter plate and consequently, I noticed a mild decrease in shifter slop. It's slightly notchier now that it was before (Katech v2 short shifter + UUC bushings), which isn't appreciated, but doesn't affect my ability to shift. I also feel slightly more transmission vibration through the shifter and into the car, which I like because my "butt dyno" has more data to chew on. When combined with the Creative Steel differential bushing and block, there was a slight, additional reduction in the infamous parade clunk that we all hate. I presume that disengaging the clutch is creating a torque reversal that causes upward deflection in the transmission, which this block tries to counteract.

In summary, the RevShift transmission block is ridiculously overpriced (it probably costs RevShift less than $5 to mold this), but still represents a worthwhile upgrade over the OEM Cadillac transmission mount. I didn't have shifting problems due to a collapsed transmission mount, so I'm not the primary audience for this part. Still, I don't regret the $50 because of the peace of mind and increased vibratory feel through the shifter that this block provides. For those of you that suspect that your shifting problems are due to transmission misalignment, this upgrade is a no-brainer.

Thx for the review Fuzzy my shifter is already incredibly notchy so we will see how this goes when i do it on wednesday

Thx for the review Fuzzy my shifter is already incredibly notchy so we will see how this goes when i do it on wednesday
    I doubt it can get any worse. If anything, it'll only improve your ability to get into reverse by improving the angle that the shifter plate sits at relative to the top of the transmission. I went a little too far out into an intersection yesterday and did a 1-2-3 2nd-reverse-2nd to get out of that situation faster than I ever could've before.

On a side note, if you like to keep anything that jingles in the cupholders (e.g. change or small car parts), you're probably out of luck because the additional vibration you get when you REALLY get on the throttle will come straight up and excite anything in there.

Haha ok I will be sure to move the change from my cupholders however, I usually just use them for cups believe it or not.

It goes in tomorrow and will post up my results in here as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.