Tow hook placement - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Tow hook placement in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by OneFast V If you are talking about mine. It cost me $15 for the raw steel and ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Re: Tow hook placement

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    If you are talking about mine. It cost me $15 for the raw steel and about $3-4 for the nuts, bolts & washers. then i just needed a torch to heat and bend it then a drill for the bolt holes and a acetlyene torn to cut the tow hole. I painted it black but I think i'm going to switch to red.
    Yea, Mine were like $200 for front and back on my old car. I gave them to the new owner so I will need new ones for the V before she goes to Fontana. I'm gonna totally skim your design and make some like that. The other ones were really nice, don't get me wrong, but its just a hunk of metal to yank the car around with, it doesn't need to launch a rocket into orbit. And those look really clean, it's not a hack job or anything.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

I totally agree. My while goal was to do a tow hook without cutting any plastics. If u removed the tow hook you'd never know something was supposed to go there or that the car had been messed with.

kyle242gt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Anyone have any updates on this?

Second track day coming up (Thunderhill) and though I've never needed a tow hook, kinda feel like I should have one - even if just for the mojo.

Really really don't want to drill a hole in the bumper(s); with a red car, a black plug would really stick out.

And cutting up the jewelry of the grille seems sad.

How hard is it to remove the lower grille? Might be easiest to remove it, install the hook, go play, then reverse when done.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Anyone have any updates on this?

Second track day coming up (Thunderhill) and though I've never needed a tow hook, kinda feel like I should have one - even if just for the mojo.

Really really don't want to drill a hole in the bumper(s); with a red car, a black plug would really stick out.

And cutting up the jewelry of the grille seems sad.

How hard is it to remove the lower grille? Might be easiest to remove it, install the hook, go play, then reverse when done.
    It requires removes the splash guard at a minimum to get access back there but it obviously easier with the whole grille removed. Just remember that grill does help protect from road debris. I barely cut one row of the grille and it is not visible unless you are looking from a really low position.

Lucky me! No splash guard. used cars are awesome like that!

Can't really see how the grille comes out
    BK03021.gif

there are tabs on the back with those plastic push pins you have to remove. it will be obvious once you get under the car with a light.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

I would just drill the 1 hole and use the factory points like jclayc. Paint the plug red to match instead of leaving it black.
    There really isn't a way to go about adding a tow eye without cutting into something.

PS: After managing to bash my shins on a non folding eye, I updated my rear one with a folding one from Rennline with a GoPro mount built in...

2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

dmax/04v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): A VEEE

Is that a lexan rear window Junior?

Quote Originally Posted by dmax/04v View Post
    Is that a lexan rear window Junior?
    Yes, everything has been replaced with lexan. There is no glass on the car.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    PS: After managing to bash my shins on a non folding eye, I updated my rear one with a folding one from Rennline with a GoPro mount built in...
    Lol damn. I did it so hard on mine once that it split the skin open lol... F*$k it hurt so bad... Nerve endings everywhere down there.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Lol damn. I did it so hard on mine once that it split the skin open lol... F*$k it hurt so bad... Nerve endings everywhere down there.
    I've tried putting it horizontal and vertical, even putting a piece of foam over it. Although I had to actually remember to put the foam over it to get the full effect

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

there's no sandtraps @ thill to worry about, just really really rutted runoff if you get out far enough, in which case, yeah you may need a tow if you hit the wrong rut and break a control arm or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    there's no sandtraps @ thill to worry about,
    Been off more times than I care to admit at THill... and you're right, hard to get stuck there. I've decided to skip it for now (crosses fingers).

Been off more times than I care to admit at THill... and you're right, hard to get stuck there. I've decided to skip it for now (crosses fingers).
    Thunderhill is a pretty fun track. I cannot wait until the finish the second track they are building now.

Hi all - prepping for a day on Thunderhill West next Friday. Last trip there ended poorly, wished I'd had a towhook after all.

I drilled the hole as recommended, mine was a little lower and to the right from the spec posted, but it got me close enough.

Found a 5/8x18 wouldn't go, but a 9/16x20 went in, about four threads, unsure if that's a sign that I was on the right track or not. Hard to be sure with a nearly ten year old thread buried 3" inside the bumper.... Store didn't have a similar M14.

Any confirmation of thread size and pitch would be great. I have a 2005.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.