Tow hook placement - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Tow hook placement in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Thank you sir....
    crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
    Thank you sir.
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

jweymar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Eforce LS3 V

Re: Tow hook placement

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvjeff View Post
    Heres my tow hook front
    more info on this! did you thread the crash bumper bar?

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    here are the measurements - disclaimer: I, personally, would not go by someone else's measurements for this. You may have saggy bumpers or something...

the measurements are using the topmost of the two embossed lines that run across the width of the bumper as a reference point. Looking at the back of the car, the hole is 3/4" above the top of the higher of the two lines. It is approx 4 13/16" from the rightmost end of that top line.

Any confirmation on the thread size?
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

No confirmation of the thread size yet - I've ordered a 5/8 hook, so we'll see. 12mm didn't fit. If 5/8 doesn't fit, the only other size I've seen is 18mm.

Hi everyone - just confirming that the inlet is 5/8. The one I bought here worked: http://www.rennline.com/Race-Hook-6i...ctinfo/E06.09/ There's a folding version of the hook too that looks nice: http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Fol...ctinfo/E13.09/

I'm not going to leave the hook part on daily... I'll just attach it on those days when i hope I won't need it

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    Hi everyone - just confirming that the inlet is 5/8. The one I bought here worked: http://www.rennline.com/Race-Hook-6i...ctinfo/E06.09/ There's a folding version of the hook too that looks nice: http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Fol...ctinfo/E13.09/

I'm not going to leave the hook part on daily... I'll just attach it on those days when i hope I won't need it
    You can take it a step further, rennline also makes a GoPro mount for their folding hook...http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-GoP...ductinfo/PH01/
    yooper and yooper like this.
    2005 cadillac cts-v racecar #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

hXc95SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Dodge Dakota DD, 2005 CTS-V Black on Black
    To the guys that have front hooks, did you weld to the front bumper or drill and bolt a hook in place. This is the only part thats holding me back right now.

Update: I just got finished with the front tow hook/loop. Take off the front bumper and you'll see there are holes in the front of the aluminum bumper support - they are there so you can get to the 13mm bolts holding them to the frame. I chose to take out the passenger's side, inner bottom bolt. I then wedged out the bolt's aluminum threaded clip thingy so just the bumper support and frame were there. I ran a drill bit through the inner bumper support hole to widen it slightly, and then bolted in the hook I bought from Pegasus Racing using the 2 supplied 19mm nuts (1 lock nut). The tow hook from Pegasus is basically a big threaded rod where you use two 19mm nuts to pinch/attach to the frame hole meant for the bumper support bolt.

Here's a look at the back of the hook coming through the bumper support and frame. Note: the lock nut is not tightened in this picture.

I did have to take a drill and dremel to the plastic to make room for the loop. I could have gotten away with just a hole instead of a hole and slot, but that would have meant, to take off the bumper, I'd have to take off the hook.

Perfect? No, but I'm happy to have the front hook after seeing what a tow truck did to a 98 Supra at Limerock the other day

Good thread. Great info. Thanks!

hXc95SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Dodge Dakota DD, 2005 CTS-V Black on Black
    Thanks for the info. I'll get on this project hopefully this week.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Anybody else make any progress here lately?

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    Anybody else make any progress here lately?
    I ended up making my own tow hook with 3/16" steel you can buy at orchard supply or home depot. http://www.racecartowhooks.com/rcth_003.htm Similar to the bottom one on this site. I drilled two holes on the front crash bar/metal bump and bolted it on and bent it so it would come down at the very top of the lower mesh grille. I then cut out a very small portion of the upper section so I could slide the whole front bump assy back on. I will shoot picture and upload them later.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    That's sweet... I can't imagine that making the tow hook like that would be very expensive. I paid like $100 for mine with quick disconnect pins and stuff. Not really worth the expense in my opinion really.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    That's sweet... I can't imagine that making the tow hook like that would be very expensive. I paid like $100 for mine with quick disconnect pins and stuff. Not really worth the expense in my opinion really.
    If you are talking about mine. It cost me $15 for the raw steel and about $3-4 for the nuts, bolts & washers. then i just needed a torch to heat and bend it then a drill for the bolt holes and a acetlyene torn to cut the tow hole. I painted it black but I think i'm going to switch to red.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.