Replace Shocks 05 V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By darkman
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Replace Shocks 05 V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help. I am looking to replace the shocks in the V and ...
    sam273 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Post Replace Shocks 05 V

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help.

I am looking to replace the shocks in the V and am having a hard time finding the info I need. I don't hit the track so I am not looking for a high priced set. I went to a non preformance shop and they wanted to install the same exact shock that would go into a 3.6l CTS. I got under the car to check out my shocks and it looks like I have the FE2's.

Any recommendations? I can't see the stock 3.6L springs working on the ride..Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Replace Shocks 05 V

All you need is a set of FE4s, which are designed to work with the original springs. The fronts carry GM part number 19150079, AC Delco part number 540250 and the rears carry GM part number 25752922, AC Delco part number 540170. I would Luke at Lindsay Caddillac first.
    sam273 and sam273 like this.

Tackelbarry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Darkman,
    Just out of curiousity, what would be the best high performance shock that could be used with the stock springs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackelbarry View Post
    Darkman,
    Just out of curiousity, what would be the best high performance shock that could be used with the stock springs. Thanks.
    I only have direst experience with the FG2s and the FE4s. Of those two options I prefer the FE4s.

The FG2s work well on a smooth track or street but cannot maintain tire-to-ground contact over bumps in a series. This tendency of the FG2s can reportedly be cured with stiffer springs (usually with a Ground Control setup). The other problem with the FG2s is indivdual shocks are not readily available and they are not rebuildable.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

KYB makes a shock for our platform

KYB pt #551605 + #553603

Don't know how they will work with our suspension since they are designed for the FE1 suspension

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

shady thats for the fe1 suspension not the fe4 like our V's have

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

/\ thank you

Quote Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    Don't know how they will work with our suspension since they are designed for the FE1 suspension
    shady thats for the fe1 suspension not the fe4 like our V's have
    i know.. when my FE4s go.. these will go in.. if they are still being made... QA1 are a basically a custom job where you have to get mounts made. bottom line there are very few options

sam273 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    All you need is a set of FE4s, which are designed to work with the original springs. The fronts carry GM part number 19150079, AC Delco part number 540250 and the rears carry GM part number 25752922, AC Delco part number 540170. I would Luke at Lindsay Caddillac first.

Thanks for your help Darkman, This is exactly what I was looking for.

Sam

gsr838 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 205 cts-v

I also need help with replacement shocks. My car has the dealer installed Performance Shock Package ($1260 option). They are too hard for my driving. I want to replace them with a shock that is firm but does not bounce the rear passengers around.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I'm assuming the dealer-installed Performance Shock Package means you have the FG2 dampers. (I didn't realize that was a dealer option, but whatever.) You can verify which you have by looking to see if the big yellow stickers on the dampers have a dashed black border on them. See the Cadillac FAQ for pictures of what you're looking for.

So, if you do have FG2s, you can get FE4s (the "stock" suspension) to replace them. That link I posted has the part numbers, so you can shop prices on Amazon, Rockauto.com, etc. Also give Luke @ Lindsay a call, he generally has very good pricing.

Here are some used FE4s for sale in the Classifieds. Might be able to get those for cheap.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.