Motor Mounts - It's 2012, what's the best option?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Motor Mounts - It's 2012, what's the best option? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I missed a period of time over 2010/2011 and wasn't paying close attention to the forum, and as I look ...
    CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Question Motor Mounts - It's 2012, what's the best option?

I missed a period of time over 2010/2011 and wasn't paying close attention to the forum, and as I look back I see several options have come and some have gone, and some stayed around. It's finally time I address this issue in my V, so I just wanted to confirm the options. I searched and there didn't seem to be any recently updated threads with this information. I appreciate any comments.

UUC - discontinued?

Creative Steel - redesigned the gray mounts that were failing, currently black mounts <---- These seem to be the way to go?

UMI - These are more rigid/solid mounts that will transmit more vibration

If I missed anything, please comment. I daily drive my V, don't race it, so I looking at the Creative Steel mounts over the UMI. Have all the issues been solved with the new CS black mounts? Has anyone run these new black mounts for over a year/10,000 miles or more with no reported issues?

If CS is the way to go, I'll go for them along with the diff bushing and the diff block they have now and get these areas tightened up finally. That being said, if anyone has any of those parts paying around uninstalled that they want to get rid of, please let me know...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Nick4208 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Motor Mounts - It's 2012, what's the best option?

Revshift has them also, I dont know if anyone has tried them.
    https://www.revshift.com/shop/polyur...illac-cts.html

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

I think that Creative Steel mounts are still the way to go.

-I installed Creative Steel Black mounts on 9/2/2010 and I just happen to be under the car last night and they still look like new.
    -I installed Creative Steel Diff bushing at the same time and it seems to be holding up.
    -I installed a Creative Steel Trans mount on 10/13/2010. It is holding up as well, but I never really noticed much difference from stock. If I had it to do again I may just leave the stock trans mount in there until it fails.

I'd have to check my records, but I'm assuming that I've put 10k+ miles of Daily Driving on since then. No track days, but I definitely don't take it easy on my V.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Andringa, what were your driving impressions after installing the differential bushing and transmission mount? Any difference in shifting the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick4208 View Post
    Revshift has them also, I dont know if anyone has tried them.
    https://www.revshift.com/shop/polyur...illac-cts.html
    I haven't heard of those before, it doesn't look like they're for a V. It says 2003-2007 CTS so I would assume they're meant for the 6 cylinder motors and not ours.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    I think that Creative Steel mounts are still the way to go.

-I installed Creative Steel Black mounts on 9/2/2010 and I just happen to be under the car last night and they still look like new.
    -I installed Creative Steel Diff bushing at the same time and it seems to be holding up.
    -I installed a Creative Steel Trans mount on 10/13/2010. It is holding up as well, but I never really noticed much difference from stock. If I had it to do again I may just leave the stock trans mount in there until it fails.

I'd have to check my records, but I'm assuming that I've put 10k+ miles of Daily Driving on since then. No track days, but I definitely don't take it easy on my V.
    Thanks for the info, I had planned on skipping the trans mount for now. I figure after the clutch, motor mounts and diff bushing & block, it should be pretty tightened up and I'll know for sure at that point whether the trans mount in necessary. It's to good to hear everything is good with the motor mounts after a year and a half.

6 SPEED Z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Red Line CTS-V

FWIW, I just did the CS diff bushing and block, well worth it, the tool from CS works like a champ. I dropped the exhaust, watch the cat bolts, of course I had the left ones break, which added some time to the whole project.

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    I haven't heard of those before, it doesn't look like they're for a V. It says 2003-2007 CTS so I would assume they're meant for the 6 cylinder motors and not ours.
    We make them for the CTS and the CTS-V. https://revshift.com/shop/bushings-/.../cadillac.html

We also guarantee our motor and trans mounts. If you are the original purchaser and the mount breaks, we will send you new ones.

Our polyurethane motor mounts are unlike any other mounts on the market for several reasons. We have been working closely with one of the leading chemical manufacturing companies to develop a highly durable, high performance polyurethane formulated specifically for automotive use. We process the raw polyurethane and mold the mounts ourselves. This gives us complete control of the manufacturing process and the quality of the part. We do not simply laminate the polyurethane to the metal ends. We use carefully designed ends with tig welded internal flanges molded deep into the mount to prevent delamination/separation. The hardware we use is the best that we can get. All mounts utilize class 12.9 high tensile strength bolts. They will not bend, stretch, break, or strip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post
    We make them for the CTS and the CTS-V. https://revshift.com/shop/bushings-/.../cadillac.html

We also guarantee our motor and trans mounts. If you are the original purchaser and the mount breaks, we will send you new ones.

Our polyurethane motor mounts are unlike any other mounts on the market for several reasons. We have been working closely with one of the leading chemical manufacturing companies to develop a highly durable, high performance polyurethane formulated specifically for automotive use. We process the raw polyurethane and mold the mounts ourselves. This gives us complete control of the manufacturing process and the quality of the part. We do not simply laminate the polyurethane to the metal ends. We use carefully designed ends with tig welded internal flanges molded deep into the mount to prevent delamination/separation. The hardware we use is the best that we can get. All mounts utilize class 12.9 high tensile strength bolts. They will not bend, stretch, break, or strip out.
    Ok, good to know! That first link pointed to the wrong mounts and I didn't do more searching of your site. As I said, I haven't paid that close attention the last couple years and I'm sure I missed plenty. From your description it sounds like your mounts are very high quality, and the price is certainly the best around. My only hang up would be a lack of reviews from people that have used them, I'm not much of a guinea pig.

I don't see pictures or any mention of heat shields - do your mounts come with them?

Does anyone know the hardness of the CS black mounts? Anyone out there running the Revshift mounts?

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    I don't see pictures or any mention of heat shields - do your mounts come with them?
    Our mounts do not come with heat shields nor do we offer them, for one simple reason, our mounts do not require heat shields. The polyurethane we use is formulated for automotive use which allows it to properly withstand heat from the exhaust manifolds/headers. We make polyurethane mounts for several cars including track only race cars. We have never once had a motor mount fail from heat. If for some reason you were concerned about heat then we suggest wrapping the motor mounts with a layer of DEI header wrap. But again, we have never had an issue with heat and on some cars our mounts are operating as close as an inch away from the headers.

It should be noted that some of our competitors do not use real polyurethane. They use something called Flexane 94 (97A hardness) and Flexane 80 (87A hardness). Flexane is a urethane rubber sealant, it does not stand up to heat very well. It is the same type of stuff that is used to seal your windshield. It is not intended to be used as automotive bushings or mounts. This is why many people believe that heat shields are required. You can google "devcon flexane" to learn more about that stuff.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Revshift this is the first I've heard of your mounts but they certainly do look like quality pieces! Thanks for bringing another option to the table for us V1 guys!

CTSV_510 I've been running my CS Black MM's for well over 15k with no issues to report. (554rwhp for most of them) I was one of the early adopters of the "grey" durometer ones that failed. It was a PITA but Max made it right and I've had zero issues to report since then! I know nothing of Revshift but Maxes customer service can't be beat. Oh and lastly if you are still on stock MM's you are going to love this "mod" more than any other! (Well maybe not the Maggie but close)

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post
    Our mounts do not come with heat shields nor do we offer them, for one simple reason, our mounts do not require heat shields. The polyurethane we use is formulated for automotive use which allows it to properly withstand heat from the exhaust manifolds/headers. We make polyurethane mounts for several cars including track only race cars. We have never once had a motor mount fail from heat. If for some reason you were concerned about heat then we suggest wrapping the motor mounts with a layer of DEI header wrap. But again, we have never had an issue with heat and on some cars our mounts are operating as close as an inch away from the headers.

It should be noted that some of our competitors do not use real polyurethane. They use something called Flexane 94 (97A hardness) and Flexane 80 (87A hardness). Flexane is a urethane rubber sealant, it does not stand up to heat very well. It is the same type of stuff that is used to seal your windshield. It is not intended to be used as automotive bushings or mounts. This is why many people believe that heat shields are required. You can google "devcon flexane" to learn more about that stuff.
    I do appreciate your input and responses, it all sounds very good and at $90 less than the closest competition it is very tempting. I may have to try a set of your blue "soft/street" mounts if I get the courage to be a pioneer. You seem very confident that these work with no problem and without heat shields, but with the nightmares our community has gone through with various motor mount failures between stock and aftermarket, you can imagine my reluctance. For the right deal I would probably be the first on the forum to try them and write a review...if all goes well you could sell a lot of these

The Creative Steel mounts are described as being made from "urethane" but it does not go into specifics beyond that.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I've got an extra set of UUC banana yellows, if anyone's lookin.

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    What's the deal with those? Are they the latest version from UUC? Do they have heat shields? How much $$?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Me, too.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Well in my impatience and excitement to get this car to where I want it, I just ordered the Creative Steel motor mounts, diff bushing and diff block. The diff pieces will be installed next week with my LS7 clutch, the motor mounts soon after.

The new question is...what is the labor time on the motor mount job with headers? Remove headers, support engine, lower subframe, remove old mounts, install new mounts, secure subframe, re-install headers....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.