2007 CTS-V Best Performance Upgrades? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2007 CTS-V Best Performance Upgrades? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; MOST (of course not all) people who get into modding vehicles actually have some sort of grasp of what type ...
    EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: 2007 CTS-V Best Performance Upgrades?

MOST (of course not all) people who get into modding vehicles actually have some sort of grasp of what type of mods even exist, what work needs to be done, what parts need to be beefed up, etc. etc. I'm not saying that you shouldn't eventually have your car modded, or get into that sort of thing. By all means please ask, research and learn. But at this point, judging by the kind of questions you've asked in this thread, there is MUCH MUCH MUCH learning that needs to be done before I'd personally be comfortable saying that you should go and have such and such installed on your vehicle. At this point it sounds like you don't even know what it is that you'd be buying and what services you'd have to pay for. I'm not saying you can't learn, or shouldn't learn. It's just that, compared to most car enthusiasts and modders on this website, you seem to be starting out with a knowledge base consisting of not much more than knowing how to put gas in your car and get it from point A to point B. Whereas most of us here know, simply from the nature and mechanics of cars and engines, what heads and cam(s) are, and what they do and how they affect power, what modern engine tuning basically consists of, that a twin turbo setup and wheel hop characteristics are almost entirely unrelated to one another, etc. etc. Not trying to be insulting either, just trying to stress that putting in the research now, before you go jumping into buying mods and having work done on your car will save you a lot of headaches and possibly a WHOLE LOT of wasted money down the road. Best of luck.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by marshallmind View Post
    I don't know. You sound like you know something i don't. Why don't you educate me on why I wouldn't...?
    I think Edmund is trying to relay that modding is not for the feint of heart. You'll run into issues and with little experience or knowledge of cars it's going to land you into some big bill territory.

I would suggest you create a budget and goals and come back here so we can best advise you on how to go. You can mod, but it's not cheap, especially if you're paying dealer rates for wrenching.[COLOR="Silver"]

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

H/C is better for track, supercharger is better for street, IMHO. Nitrous is cheapest way to big power.

If you're going to dump the clutch, then get some axles.

Talk to PISNUOFF about a short shifter.

Lowering your car makes it look great. There are a couple of popular ways to go.

Killernoodle trailing arms will allow you to wear wider wheels in back.

Clutch can be upgraded with an LS7 or an LS9 kit.

Long-tube headers will allow your car to exhale efficiently at high RPM, WOT.

Less restrictive exhaust systems with (or without) hi-flow cats complete your exhaust setup.

I'm probably forgetting a ton of stuff.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Adding 100 hp generally means you'll end up voiding the powertrain portion of your warranty. You MAY get a dealership to honor the full warranty if you were to pay them to do the modification work, but I would probably bet against it.

Intake/exhaust/heads/cam will get you +100 hp, but there is no single recipe for those parts so you'd have to work closely with a tuner shop to come up with the right parts for how you want the car to drive. A dealership will not be able to help you with this, you should really go to a shop that works on corvettes and cars with corvette motors that also does all the tuning necessary after changing those parts. Once you crack the engine open like that, your dealership will most likely turn you away on any powertrain warranty items. Also, your car will end up sounding very mean, and probably very loud.

A magnacharger will get you +100 hp, and the car will still drive like it does stock, just a whole lot faster. You can get a dealer to install this, and depending on the kit you buy, it may come with a handheld device to change the tune in your car to work with the supercharger. It is also recommended that you have an experienced tuner with a dyno look over the tune after that and make sure everything is right for your car.

From what you have said, a supercharger kit would probably fit you best to give you the power you're looking for and still maintain stock driveability. I love mine

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    H/C is better for track, supercharger is better for street,
    why are heads /cam packages not be good on the street?
    my head cam package absolutley rocks on the street, gobs of power in every gear, or i can be easy on it and it drives real close to stock.
    when i drive spirited i dont see any rpm below 2600 and thats right when my powerband starts. it literally thorws you back it the seat at 2600 right up tell 6500
    plus nothing beats the sound of a huge cam and long tubes/ corsa on a v! really wakes up the neiborhood.
    Overd0s3 and Overd0s3 like this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 2007ThunderV View Post
    why are heads /cam packages not be good on the street?
    my head cam package absolutley rocks on the street, gobs of power in every gear, or i can be easy on it and it drives real close to stock.
    when i drive spirited i dont see any rpm below 2600 and thats right when my powerband starts. it literally thorws you back it the seat at 2600 right up tell 6500
    plus nothing beats the sound of a huge cam and long tubes/ corsa on a v! really wakes up the neiborhood.
    The only reason I say this is because of the typical RPM operating range of the track vs street. Track is typically where high RPM running occurs and that's where most H/C setups are designed to produce their power, and street running is usually in the lower RPM range where a supercharger (Maggie) generates lots of torque. (Maggies in particular will be affected by heat soak on the track which in turn affects max power whereas on the street they have more of a chance to cool down between each session of spirited driving.)

Obviously, this is a generalized statement and only by driving each setup could someone say they prefer one over the other. I haven't driven a H/C V, but I have driven cars that preferentially produce their power at high RPMs, and they drive much differently at low RPM levels. I can also attest that my car will break loose my 275s in back at 2k RPM in 2nd gear just by punching it, and it becomes a hand full as it will try to go sideways.

Okay, let's go back to the OP and spend some more of his money.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

strapp1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Headers - Coated Pacesetters $400 - Amazon.com
    Header Connecting extensions $70 - Amazon.com
    Spark Plugs - NGK $20
    Spark Plug Wires - $80
    Install - $300
    Full Dyno Tune - $400 - $500

Total $1200 - $1300 for 25 - 30 RWHP
    or $2000 total for Kooks or Stainless Works header setup

Bitapaul is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Throwing in a couple cents worth, I am currently running a Magnuson, QA1's, anti hop, eibach's, short throw shifter and a good dyno tune and it is an incredibly good street setup. The comments earlier about a SC running like stock until you hit it is exactly right, and having owned cars with head/cam upgrades in the past it is really a matter of personal choice. The H/C upgrades are great stuff and make good power, but you do start to bump into driveability issues when you start going big. Idle, peakiness, tougher to tune but man does it make some cool power and sound! If you are going for a fast street car, I highly recommend the SC. But the shifter should be first, it makes a large positive difference in your interface with the car.

Have fun, the V is a killer platform!

Ny's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cts-V

Quote Originally Posted by Bitapaul View Post
    But the shifter should be first, it makes a large positive difference in your interface with the car.

Have fun, the V is a killer platform!
    Ya i just installed PISSNUOFF's shifter and OMG what a difference as I recieved it in the mail (definately worth the wait) I compared the two and thought to my self HUH does not look impresive lol. But after one of the best hours ive spent in mod heaven.my jaw dropped and couldnt believe the difference. i thought to myself 'nahh i must have done something wrong the throw is so short i dont think this thing is even fully engageing but to my disbelief I was wrong. A must do mod you will definatly shed some 1/4 mile time doing this as you dont have to go from your back seat to the passenger seat to shift that truck shifter GM put in our car.
    Motown Cad and Motown Cad like this.

marshallmind is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts-v
    Do you have a link to where I can purchase the same short throw shifter for my 07' V?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by marshallmind View Post
    Do you have a link to where I can purchase the same short throw shifter for my 07' V?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...process-7.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.