Noodle trailing arms ordering thread. Y'all with rubbin' wheelz git in here! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Noodle trailing arms ordering thread. Y'all with rubbin' wheelz git in here! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yep, that's the exact procedure....
    killernoodle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V --- the RED one :)

Re: Noodle trailing arms ordering thread. Y'all with rubbin' wheelz git in here!

Yep, that's the exact procedure.

Re: Noodle trailing arms ordering thread. Y'all with rubbin' wheelz git in here!

The arms shipped out yesterday, I swear I heard the guy at the UPS store say they would get there wednesday for you guys.
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Question...you say 19"x10" fit with no problem...what about 18"x10"? May be a dumb question...but.....

Also...have you considered doing this on a turn around basis? I have an emotional attachment to my trailing arms

They would probably help. The kink is a little bit more compact than my original set of arms. I don't have a set of 18x10s to do a comparison against. I basically made these arms by taking measurements off of my original arms with them still on the car. The car is my daily driver so I couldn't exactly have it apart to take more in-depth measurements.

I could do a turnaround style process, but your car would probably be out of commission for about a week. If you're fine with that, let me know.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

UPS man brought 'em today, and this afternoon I put 'em on. Just called my insurance agent to put the insurance back on, and I'm about to go for a ride ... it's been THREE MONTHS !!!!
    JD03Cobra and JD03Cobra like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    UPS man brought 'em today, and this afternoon I put 'em on. Just called my insurance agent to put the insurance back on, and I'm about to go for a ride ... it's been THREE MONTHS !!!!
    Wow, you work fast! Any problems with installation? Did they arrive ok? The ups guy boxed them up, so I dunno how he did it.

Also, make double sure they are on the right side too. I probably should have mentioned that the grease zerk should be on the outside and the arm's bend should droop down. That should put the extension I welded to the flex joint facing up and the threaded part of the flex joint facing down.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Just got arms from Killer today--they look spectacular. Well done, sir. I may not be able to install them until next weekend, but when I do, I'll try to get some comparison pictures up.

Also, I think you deserve some kind of award for packing something that was already basically bulletproof with 3-4 layers of bubble wrap. UPS probably could've tied a rope to the box and dragged it all the way to the Northeast and it would've been just fine.

I only packed it in one layer with zip ties. Then I handed it to the guy a the ups store and he did the rest.

I was only really concerned with the powder coat chipping, as it was almost impossible to assemble the flex joints without chipping it. I didn't want them banging together. Powder is hard, but not harder than a steel tool

Quote Originally Posted by killernoodle View Post
    ... Any problems with installation? Did they arrive ok? ...
    Arrived okay. All the UPS guys did was to wrap a little heavy brown paper around the bubble wrap that you put on, but they used a reasonably stout box, so they were just fine.

Regarding the install, I did not have to take off the calipers. Not sure why the MAP guy did that ... doesn't make any sense. I did, however, have to remove the rear (lower) bolt of control arm (?) to allow the bolt holding the back end of the trailing arm to be removed. As usual, first side took a little while, but the other side went much faster. Lowering the cradle is a PITA what with the torque specs on those darn bolts, but used a cheater piece of pipe on my breaker bar and got them out. BTW, I had to do all four bolts to get the cradle to lower far enough. I got the impression that the MAP thread on how to do it suggested that you need only do the front two and the cradle would "droop." That's not correct ... it does not droop at all. You need to at a minimum remove the front two bolts and back the two rear ones out pretty far. Took be about two hours, and I wasn't hurrying.

Arms sitting on shipping box:

View showing kink (driver side):

Inner lip of Linea Corse wheel where rubbing was occurring:

Took a ride in the car and heard absolutely no rubbing. Wow, I had forgotten just how quick the car is. Woo hoo!
    killernoodle and killernoodle like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

raguncajn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Killer they look great man! I just sent the money for a set of level 2s. Are they still in stock as the original post says?

No, unfortunately I can't edit the original post

I could for the first couple days, but now I can't for some reason.

In either case, I can whip you up a set this weekend and get it shipped early next week probably.

ORDER QUEUE
    1. FuzzyLogic (thanks for all you've done man!) - Level 2 DELIVERED
    2. rand49er - Level 2 DELIVERED
    3. raguncajn - Level 2

I'm in the middle of 5-6 different mods to my car right now, but I just wanted to quickly mention that I installed Killer's arms and they work great. My install process was identical to Rand49er, with the exception that I got pissed off on the front two cradle bolts (didn't have to remove all four, by the way--but the bolts BARELY made it out) and cut off a little bit of excess with my Sawzall so that I could install them upside down (bolt pointing up, nut on top).

Can't wait to get those Forgestar F14s this spring. Thanks Killer! I still think you should take every picture from the two threads, put them together, and post a new thread here and on LS1Tech.
    4doorocket and 4doorocket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    ... My install process was identical to Rand49er, with the exception that I got pissed off on the front two cradle bolts (didn't have to remove all four, by the way--but the bolts BARELY made it out) and cut off a little bit of excess with my Sawzall so that I could install them upside down (bolt pointing up, nut on top). ...
    I barely managed to retain my cool with these two bolts. I am not a patient mechanic (<-- this term is used very loosely) at all. It always helps to have done a job before so you know what to expect and how to deal with it. Alas, how often does THAT happen?

Great pics, Fuzzy. They perfectly show the added clearance the arms provide.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I barely managed to retain my cool with these two bolts. I am not a patient mechanic (<-- this term is used very loosely) at all. It always helps to have done a job before so you know what to expect and how to deal with it. Alas, how often does THAT happen?

Great pics, Fuzzy. They perfectly show the added clearance the arms provide.
    The thing with the subframe that I think I need to mention is that I had to wedge a rubber mallet between the subframe and the bottom of the car in order to open up a gap wide enough to sneak the bolts out. I tried raising the subframe with the unmodified bolts in the inverted orientation and realized that the top of the bolts would have been in contact with the bottom of the car. That's when I whipped out the Sawzall and cut four threads off the end.

If you want, bigger individual pictures of before and after are available. I had to shrink everything down (including the above pic) because the LS1Tech forums don't automatically resize things.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    ... I need to mention is that I had to wedge a rubber mallet between the subframe and the bottom of the car in order to open up a gap wide enough to sneak the bolts out. ...
    Ha! I used a 1 x 4 board I found in the corner of the garage.

I failed to mention that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.