Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rear end goes KABOOM!!!

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  ranger2525 
#1 ·
I don't know if you guys know this (snickering outloud) But if you sidestep your clutch @ 4 grand with 275 tires on good pavement the rear end will be very upset with you. It may even make pissed off noises and refuse to go back to work. I have sent mine to timeout and threatened to replace it to no avail. So now I will sent it on it's way. I am replacing it with a younger
sexier GM version. My question is to the vast pool of knowledge on this forum. Will my new girl come as the latest updated version? Or do I need to ask questions? Buying from a local dealer @ cost. I have also read the newest version has bigger axles. Do these come with the unit? Do I need them? Anything else I should know??

PS. I know what your thinkin' Creative steel 8.8 etc.. But I drive this everyday and do not have the time or $$$ to have that sexy beast. Even though I know she won't be as pissed off when I am trying to show off for a six cylinder Charger!! Oh the pain!!

G
#2 ·
A new version of the diff won't stop the wheelhop. Even the newer stock version of the axles don't stop it. The new axles are bigger but the CV's/splines are the same. The best/budget friendly way to make sure the new diff doesn't break is to ensure its the latest part number and get a set of Gforce axles for $550.

#7 ·
I happen to work @ a dealership. And my cost is 1478 Dealer net is 1378 so if you are getting a new diff for 1400 They are selling it at nearly their cost. I got the new diff. today should be back up and runnin by 6pm. (I hope)

----------

Perfect,
I was telling a true story. I was over on 50hwy near Lee's Summit and a Charger 3.5L six cyl. kept F'n with me so I revved the motor dumped the clutch wheel hopped about 3 times and you know the rest. we were moving from a light and I was going maybe 20mph so I thought I would be OK
but not so much. One high dollar lesson learned. Isn't the rear end in our 2000 corvette the same? I have done this many times in it. I understand the weight difference in cars and the springs as well.But this really should not happen under these circumstances. But then again we all know that!

#15 ·
That sucks! I never dump or side-step my clutch because I'm too paranoid of breaking the rear end. I do have the latest diff though because Mike @ Superior Cadillac (KC) treated me well.

When will you be back on the road? It's too bad we didn't all meet up with this nice weather. Looks like winter is here for good now.

#10 ·
gm has updated the diff a few times and each time the new one replaced the old part number

the only way you'll get an older version is if you order that part number specifically or if a dealer had one in stock still and changed the part number that they stock it as to the new number

i'm pretty sure all the old ones are out of the system though and all that you can get nowadays is the newest version

the GForce axles do seem to be the key (along with the newest diff) to eliminating wheel hop

good luck

#26 ·
Hey Scott, I sent you an email to the address you listed. It's easier for me than having to periodically clean out some inbox space.

To avoid bots and web crawlers, you may want to edit your post to remove the address, though, even if it is your "junk email" - or, alternatively, add spaces/hyphens between each of the letters; use at for @, dot for (.) etc.

#24 ·
i went with hendrix 1000rwhp axels, they are nice and beefy, but dont expect all the wheel hop to be gone. id say to be acurate, axles only help aid the problem, they dont resovle it 100 percent. some guys get lucky and they elimate all of the wheel hop, some dont.
for my situation i put the axles in, still had decent amount of wheel hop between 1-2 upshift. so i put on some michelin super sports and its a bit better now. between getting rid of the run flats, and the axles i will say 80 percent of my hop is gone.

#28 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for your help and information. You guys are the best. A special thanx to Andre(from this thread) and Casey @ G-force. I will be getting my new axle at a great price (also getting it overnight). Thomas @ Hendrix also tried his very best to help me out as well. Just couldn't get an axle soon enough.
Anyway, thank you again guys! Next stop, (after right side axle) Maggie or clutch/flywheel!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.