Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Avoid the PA50-VETTE like the plague!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jwilson2598 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just spent the last couple of hours taking my interior apart again to upgrade my PA15-VETTE (which I highly recommend) to a PA50-VETTE that I bought from SolidSignal here. First off, that package doesn't include the optional Bluetooth module. That module doesn't exist anywhere--I've checked.

Anyway, the PA50-VETTE turned out to be a flaming pile. Not only did one of the power connectors feature a high impedance fault (almost wrecked my battery), the Ethernet cable that the unit uses to connect to my iPhone is several orders of magnitude worse than the crappiest Ethernet cables I've gotten from Comcast or bundled with junky wireless routers. I had to wrap the connection to the included Ethernet extension cable with electrical tape to maintain a solid connection.

Once I recharged the battery and locked down the connectivity, I discovered (to my dismay) that the audio quality on this thing is miserable. Not only was there a persistent, high-pitched whine, but when the unit was in anything except direct mode, the PA50-VETTE would emit bursts of static at 1-2 Hz. Adding insult to injury, despite advertising 2004-2007 CTS compatibility, the PA50-VETTE's interface required me to use buttons that were hard-coded to other CTS-V functions, making it nearly impossible to do what the PA15-VETTE does with ease.

In summary: don't buy this thing. Ever. I tried calling USA Spec for support, but they didn't answer the phone, and their answering machine is set to record for approximately 10 seconds. Screw them. Back to the PA15-VETTE.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, it's like you were in my garage the FIRST time I tried installing it, and wrote down everything I said. :D

First, I still have the PA50, it's not an upgrade or anything, just looking for a decent charging/interface.

The first time I installed it (OH how I love tearing the back seat and deck out. not.), I got sound out of the front right speaker only. Mmmkay. Called support. Phone rang to a cell phone voicemail. Lovely.

Read about cutting wires, decided not to chance it and either find support or send it back. Put car back together, dejected. Yuengling needed. Not happy. I did find some good washers to use on the sail panels where the PO broke 'em.

I called USA SPEC, I called the number in the manual, and finally, found a number (from the 3rd person at USA SPEC) for 'the guy' who knows the PA50.

Turns out, USA SPEC doesn't make the PA50. It's made by another company. Apparently, there's like ONE guy who can help you. So, I talk to THE GUY. He tells me the wires.

Back into the car, rip it all out. Hook it up, everything seems to work. Button the interior back up after snaking cables left and right and all over hells half acre --- and the sonofabiscuit won't charge the device.

I got a couple more ideas from support (THE GUY), but it's not looking good. I wonder if the solder connections are crappy -- and that's the impedance problem and the connectivity problem you've seen.

On the interface, if you do anything but what I do (shuffle all songs. rinse. repeat), and expect to use playlists, find artists, etc --- WOW, what a crappy UI/UX.

And on the Bluetooth module, WHAT A PILE OF DOGSQUEEZE! All the literature you find online talks about how it does BT now! Yay! Then you get the box, and it has a part number for a BT module that doesn't exist. You're totally right, what a pantload that is!

I need to go find a PA15. What was the driver for you to go PA50?

BTW, since I'm apparently writing a novel here...

The Galaxy1000 is working brilliantly for a BT integration. I've never seen anything easier to put in or use. Look into it. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? Every dime.

#3 ·
Wow. This is not very encouraging. I saw it on the Corvette forum. A guy said he had it in his Corvette an V and it was working. Although I believe he didn't have an iPhone for the Bluetooth. (So I guess he never checked)

I'm going to get my iPod back from my sister and see if it charges. The sound quality and connections on mine seem to be fine although the car wasn't running at the time.

I'm hope I don't have to remove it. I only bought it since I knew I had to remove the center console to take out my shifter.

I have the Galaxy 1000 for my Bluetooth and it works great.

#4 ·
I wonder if you can use the Galaxy 1000 with a USA Spec product concurrently. I went for a PA50 over my PA15 because I wanted Bluetooth integration.

Sound quality on the PA15 is excellent. It has a more primitive interface than the PA50, but it was obviously tested for compatibility with the first generation CTS-V. So it gets my vote.

Sympathies on the call to USA Spec (their voicemail system limits you to about 10 seconds) and ripping out the trim. Getting those upper pillar panels screwed back in is a royal PITA.

#5 ·
Yes. The Galaxy intercepts the OnStar, which has nothing to do with the XM module, which the PAxx modules use.

The Galaxy works so well that I can't see USA SPEC coming anywhere close. Especially since you're going to have to run a new microphone for the BT module from USA (when/if it ever shows up).

#6 ·
I have had the Galaxy 1000 installed for over a year, it works flawlessly. I was never intending to use the USAspec product for Bluetooth, so it's not an issue for me. I guess it's hit and miss with the PA50, mine works fine. I'm thinking about getting another sub now.

I think everyone breaks one of the tabs on the C-pillar cover tabs when removing it. Who ever owned my car previously must have ripped it off. The hole the screw goes through was twice the size.

#11 ·
I used to say this, but my phone is jailbroken, so I installed a tweak that gets rid of the "Accessory Connected" message and let's you have full control of the iPod app while still plugged in. The PA-15 at least has direct mode, my wife's Subaru doesn't as was overly annoying until I found this mod, much more useful now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.