Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The Build...

48K views 208 replies 50 participants last post by  CTS-VR 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you guys know, I've been bouncing around the idea of converting the V into a dedicated track car.
Main use will be to run NASA's ST2 class with the possibility of running in other SCCA classes as well.
Today, I'm happy to report that the first step in the build process has begun.
I hope to provide a step by step process that will detail all of the changes from start to finish...

Vehicle as it stands today road ready is:

2005 CTS-V
Light Platinum w/ Black interior
LS6/6 speed tremec
11,771 miles

Current Mods:

Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust
Diablo Predator tune
Ron Davis Racing radiator
FG2 Shocks
UUC Poly motor mounts, tranny mount, and diff bushing
UUC short shifter
Spectre Werkes delrin cradle bushings
Rear Strut tower brace
UUC Braided brake lines
GM Performance/Brembo cross drilled rotors
Motul 600 fluid
Michelin Pilot SuperSport Tires

12/4/11: Conversion

All Fab work for the rollcage as well as complete gut of the interior and removal of all non-necessary parts is being done by Phoenix Performance*
Last year at the V Performance Lab @ MMC, I met John Heinricy who recommended I get in touch with the owner, Joe Aquilante, who happens to build and maintain some of the Vettes that HeinRocket has had much success with running in the SCCA ranks. It also didn't hurt that Phoenix had built the V that John Buttermore has had his success in T2 so I know they have experience working with V's

First order of business is to completely remove the interior and begin fabrication on the SCCA/NASA legal rollcage, as well as remove all of the non-essential parts such as the air conditioning and other heavyweight items.
(BTW, please contact me if you should need any stock interior parts)

Pictures to follow soon...

*About Phoenix Performance: Phoenix Performance, LLC owned by Joe Aquilante, is based in a 32,000 sq ft race shop in Phoenixville, PA. Since 1999, Phoenix Performance-prepared cars have won 21 SCCA National Championship Runoffs in Touring and Showroom Stock classes, 2 professional series Driver and Manufacturer Championships, and the GM Motorsports Winner's Circle Award

See less See more
#43 ·
*UPDATE* 2/24/2012

The cage is all complete and welded up. Car is in the paint shop being prepped for paint...

Vehicle Car Auto part Rim Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Auto part Hood Automotive window part
Vehicle Auto part Engine Automotive exterior Car

Reactions: yooper
#46 ·
Its actually integrated into the cage, you can kind of see it in the 4th picture.
The pictures were taken by the shop at certain angles on purpose, to not give away too much info...
Plus my original brace will still bolt in on top if needed.

#45 ·
Looking awesome Chris. You're on your way man!

#49 ·
* UPDATE * 3/5/2012

Interior and cage just painted.
Coming out of the booth to get unmasked and re-assembly to begin this week...

Glass Vehicle Room Architecture Window
Automotive exterior Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part

Vehicle Automotive exterior Tire Wheel Automotive tire
Wheel Spoke Bicycle wheel Rim Automotive wheel system

#51 ·
....:highfive:
I wish I could do that to mine but shes going to be my DD for a few lol. Great work! I converted my interior from tan to black but still need rear seat belts, the pannel below the back window, the front pillars, side, and sail panels, as well as headliner and sunroof controll deal if you want to sell that stuff....

#52 ·
*UPDATE* 3/29/2012

Reassembly coming along nicely.
Wiring is being put in place and the dash is back in. Provisions for the lexan windows are done.
The Momo steering wheel arrived as well as other misc parts.
Trans Cooler, Rear Diff Cooler and Oil Cooler being routed. Headers and test pipes (thanks to yooper) arrived and are installed. Fire system and control arms are going in as well. Just contemplating doing the clutch, etc while its still apart.
Sorry no pics yet...

#55 ·
*UPDATE* 3/29/2012

Reassembly coming along nicely.
Wiring is being put in place and the dash is back in. Provisions for the lexan windows are done.
The Momo steering wheel arrived as well as other misc parts.
Trans Cooler, Rear Diff Cooler and Oil Cooler being routed. Headers and test pipes (thanks to yooper) arrived and are installed. Fire system and control arms are going in as well. Just contemplating doing the clutch, etc while its still apart.
Sorry no pics yet...
What kind of provisions are necessary for the lexan windows? Tabs on the exterior?
Are the pieces of lexan flat sheets or preformed?

#59 ·
They've got the numbers from when it started off, but unfortunately I've been tied up at work for the past 3 months so I'll only have beginning and end weights...

----------

*UPDATE* 4/6/2012

The suspension is apart and the needed measurements have been taken. Waiting for Delrin material to machine into bushings...
Momo wheel mounted up with very little modification, just waiting on the QD

#65 · (Edited)
*UPDATE* 5/2/2012

Went to shop today. The car is basically almost fully disassembled, the only things still in and on the car are front fenders, hood and motor/tranny :)

The suspension is fully apart for the Delrin Bushings, plus it was easier to drop the whole rear cradle since there was nothing left so that is out as well.
Right now we are fighting with room to run an Oil Cooler with the headers and trying to fit Carbon Fiber brake ducts up front.

Lots of wiring going on, switch panels being made and fire system getting routed.

Suspension-wise I am talking with Anze Suspension for a set of custom Penske coilovers with canisters and Hyperco springs (not sure of 2 way or 3 way yet) and also in the process of sourcing all of the parts to swap out the clutch for an Exedy

Here's a couple of pics showing the replacement of the dash as well as the Momo wheel and Kill Switch. I'm still undecided about putting the center console back in or leaving it out.
Switch plate for the Coolers and Fire system will mount in place of the Radio/Nav and the Center Net will mount through the center A/C vent locations.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part

#67 ·
What size Hyperco springs? I've got a few left over that fit the GC kit...
No clue yet. Way too customizable and too many options :confused: I'm gonna let Angelo handle it...

#68 ·
Chris,

Did you look at the Katech LS9-X(orR) clutch? It uses OEM disks, with a Katech lightened flywheel. I've had *ZERO* issues with mine. It might be nice to put a part on your car that you know you won't have any issues with, since you are changing so much other stuff all at once.

-Chris

#69 ·
Chris,

Did you look at the Katech LS9-X(orR) clutch? It uses OEM disks, with a Katech lightened flywheel. I've had *ZERO* issues with mine. It might be nice to put a part on your car that you know you won't have any issues with, since you are changing so much other stuff all at once.

-Chris
Yep, thats my other choice.
Mike seems to have had nothing but good things to say about his Exedy (Katech's recommendation), plus they ran Exedy's in the grand-am cars back in the day...

#70 · (Edited)
Some Clutch bling to add...
All parts for the swap should be here by next week

#71 ·
Pretty sexy!

#72 ·
Rest of the clutch parts arrived...

LS7 slave, Tick speed bleeder, ARP flywheel and pressure plate bolts

#73 ·
*UPDATE* 5/17/2012

Lots of progress being made. Delrin Bushings are done and installed. Rear cradle is back in the car, most of the suspension is hooked up.
Rear Diff Cooler has been installed and wired up. Rear brakes have been assembled. Getting closer on the Oil Cooler (LOL).
Main switch panel with Fire System arming is installed and operational. Outside kill switch and underhood fire nozzles installed as well.

Shocks have been ordered :) ...went all out with Anze Suspension - Triple Adjustable Penske's with Hyperco Coils and Clevis attachments, upgraded pistons and remote reserviors

Here's some more pictures

Rear brakes

Rear Suspension

----------

*5/17/2012*
Kill Switch, Momo Wheel, Switch Panel

Switch Panel detail

Full Dash

----------

*5/17/2012*
Rear Diff Cooler

Delrin Bushings installed in front control arm

Delrin Bushings

Reactions: crankedupforit
#74 ·
Lot's of progress. Things are shaping up. Nice work.

#77 ·
I think so, they had a vette upper shaft just in case. He said it went on with minimal modifications. I'll double check for you.

----------

..When will those bushings be available?

I NEED EM!

-Chris
Not too long. He just needs to figure out pricing. They won the Grand Am race last weekend and he was busy.

#78 ·
We ended up using a C5 Vette upper steering shaft and a corvette hub...

#182 ·
Chris
Any reason the hub adapter for the Cadi wasn't used? Sparco and Momo both list hub adapters for the non telescopic Cadi columns. Do the steering wheel buttons on the Momo control anything? BTW send me those brake ducts and I'll give them a shot.

Mike

#183 ·
Chris
Any reason the hub adapter for the Cadi wasn't used? Sparco and Momo both list hub adapters for the non telescopic Cadi columns. Do the steering wheel buttons on the Momo control anything? BTW send me those brake ducts and I'll give them a shot.

Mike
Not certain. There was a call made to Momo about that because the part numbers listed were for early models.
The shop seemed to know what route to take so I left it up to them. I have the old upper so I know it was definitely swapped out.
For now the buttons aren't connected but I plan to use them for something later.

I'll get those boxed this week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.