Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The Build...

48K views 208 replies 50 participants last post by  CTS-VR 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you guys know, I've been bouncing around the idea of converting the V into a dedicated track car.
Main use will be to run NASA's ST2 class with the possibility of running in other SCCA classes as well.
Today, I'm happy to report that the first step in the build process has begun.
I hope to provide a step by step process that will detail all of the changes from start to finish...

Vehicle as it stands today road ready is:

2005 CTS-V
Light Platinum w/ Black interior
LS6/6 speed tremec
11,771 miles

Current Mods:

Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust
Diablo Predator tune
Ron Davis Racing radiator
FG2 Shocks
UUC Poly motor mounts, tranny mount, and diff bushing
UUC short shifter
Spectre Werkes delrin cradle bushings
Rear Strut tower brace
UUC Braided brake lines
GM Performance/Brembo cross drilled rotors
Motul 600 fluid
Michelin Pilot SuperSport Tires

12/4/11: Conversion

All Fab work for the rollcage as well as complete gut of the interior and removal of all non-necessary parts is being done by Phoenix Performance*
Last year at the V Performance Lab @ MMC, I met John Heinricy who recommended I get in touch with the owner, Joe Aquilante, who happens to build and maintain some of the Vettes that HeinRocket has had much success with running in the SCCA ranks. It also didn't hurt that Phoenix had built the V that John Buttermore has had his success in T2 so I know they have experience working with V's

First order of business is to completely remove the interior and begin fabrication on the SCCA/NASA legal rollcage, as well as remove all of the non-essential parts such as the air conditioning and other heavyweight items.
(BTW, please contact me if you should need any stock interior parts)

Pictures to follow soon...

*About Phoenix Performance: Phoenix Performance, LLC owned by Joe Aquilante, is based in a 32,000 sq ft race shop in Phoenixville, PA. Since 1999, Phoenix Performance-prepared cars have won 21 SCCA National Championship Runoffs in Touring and Showroom Stock classes, 2 professional series Driver and Manufacturer Championships, and the GM Motorsports Winner's Circle Award

See less See more
#149 ·
Good luck Chris. Nice work. If Fischer and Buttermore can be winners, so can you!

#151 ·
Don't buy used shocks....

#157 ·
Empty weight was 3366. "Competition Weight" includes driver/gas so I'm using 3566 and HP is 401.
Sedans get +.4 added and I have to add +.35 (for the weight over 3550). The Grand Am Conti's are not subject to the -.75 penalty

#161 ·
Are you at 401 whp? What mods have you done? I only saw the initial post about engine mods.
Yes on the 401.
Mods are: Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks 1 3/4, No Cats, Magnaflow, and Tune

#158 ·
Good lord. Sounds like you're about 500 pounds lighter than stock. Based on your prior posts, I know that a lot of the modifications that you've done are non-starters for those of us who don't want to give up seats or functionality. Do you have any weight reduction recommendations that you consider low hanging fruit (either because the mod is cheap from a price/lb perspective or because it comes as a side effect of a different performance mod)?

Personally, I estimate that I've lost about 100 lbs: 26 for headers, 30 for the Magnaflow, 10 for the spare tire tub, about zero between the various gains and losses for the plentitude of mods in the engine bay, 5 per corner due to the Ground Control kit, wheels, and tires, 20 for the LS7 clutch and Fidanza flywheel--and then I borrowed back about 45 lbs for a good 10" subwoofer and multiple layers of acoustic cladding (damper+MLV) in the rear.

#159 ·
The biggest bang I think was the combination of Seats (stock ones are like 80lbs each, my Recaro's are 18lbs each), Clutch/Flywheel, and Windows (my Lexan is maybe 40lbs in total). Like you said though its a bit unforgiving for the street.

Aside from the clutch/flywheel, headers and exhaust that you already did. I know there are some gains to be had with the battery (easily 20lbs), 2 piece rotors and the TD Wheels. (you already have aftermarket) But the 18" are lighter than 19". Not sure about the coilovers but there could be some there as well.
The removal of all the A/C stuff, Airbags, and interior trim really adds up after a while. But its just that its a nogo on a daily driver...

#165 ·
Went to NJMP Lightning with PCA yesterday. Unfortunately after the 2nd lap I noticed a strong fuel smell and shut it down.
No leaks but I didn't want to try out the fire system, so its back at the shop for a few days...

#166 ·
Some pics from Friday @ NJMP with PCA
It was never off the trailer from the shop and it was a spur of the moment thing. Found out about it at 9pm and left for the track at 4am
First pictures ever at a track. Never had a chance to pack. Had to borrow a helmet, had no numbers, even had to grub tape and make some cheesey ones...

#168 ·
I've got no clue, whatever was there is still attached to the bottom of the carpet in a box. I think its just some extra padding around that area IIRC. I can take a look and measure...

#171 ·
Turned out to be one of the holes that was drilled for the closeout panel went too far and put a 1/8" hole in the top of the tank.
New tank is going in now...

#173 ·
I like that interior pic. Outside looks pretty stock still. Once you sneak a peek in there, you know something serious is going on.

#174 ·
There's a DE event at NJMP Thunderbolt with PCA on 10/19 if anyone wants to meet up...

#177 ·
Washout today at NJMP. No rain tires yet...
Got the car back. Heres a pic of the hole that was in the tank:

#179 ·
*cough* NJMP Thunderbolt. November 8 *cough* I'm there :) opentrackdayevents.com if anyones interested

#180 ·
I don't know how I haven't posted in this thread yet. I guess I've just been too busy admiring... :D

Do any of the new NASA rule changes affect your build at all? I haven't read everything, but it looks like there are some big ones for the whole TT/PT/ST format. I didn't do TT at all this season due mainly to Air Force stuff, but I was thinking about moving to TTA next year. It doesn't even exist anymore.

#181 ·
Yes. Based on the rule changes that came out a week before the car was done I will fit right into the new ST3 without any issues and should be competitive.

#185 ·
Always meant to ask if you're running a fuel cell. Understand you don't need to with our car anyway. The reason I ask is because in one of your pics it looks like a fire system tube and nozzle is penetrating the rear bulk head you had fabbed up. I assumed this was headed for the trunk where a fuel cell would mount. ATL has a cool one that mounts in the spare tire well. It's only 12 gallons but most of us can probably get away with it.

Ooops.....remember you posting Phoenix drilled a hole in the tank by mistake..... so no fuel cell. So what's that line going to the rear trunk area?

#186 ·
the line I think you're talking about is for the fire system...

Two options if you go with a fuel cell. The Powell guys put it in the same postion as the stock one to aid with weight distribution IIRC. As seen in this pic:

Or in the trunk like the Bill Black car :

#187 ·
Whats the status on the car?

-Chris

#189 · (Edited)
Currently hibernating for the winter. Busy season is coming up for me so I won't be able to do anything for a while. Trying to get some things lined up for late April and early May...

----------

Clear your inbox Chris.
done...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.