Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The Build...

48K views 208 replies 50 participants last post by  CTS-VR 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you guys know, I've been bouncing around the idea of converting the V into a dedicated track car.
Main use will be to run NASA's ST2 class with the possibility of running in other SCCA classes as well.
Today, I'm happy to report that the first step in the build process has begun.
I hope to provide a step by step process that will detail all of the changes from start to finish...

Vehicle as it stands today road ready is:

2005 CTS-V
Light Platinum w/ Black interior
LS6/6 speed tremec
11,771 miles

Current Mods:

Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust
Diablo Predator tune
Ron Davis Racing radiator
FG2 Shocks
UUC Poly motor mounts, tranny mount, and diff bushing
UUC short shifter
Spectre Werkes delrin cradle bushings
Rear Strut tower brace
UUC Braided brake lines
GM Performance/Brembo cross drilled rotors
Motul 600 fluid
Michelin Pilot SuperSport Tires

12/4/11: Conversion

All Fab work for the rollcage as well as complete gut of the interior and removal of all non-necessary parts is being done by Phoenix Performance*
Last year at the V Performance Lab @ MMC, I met John Heinricy who recommended I get in touch with the owner, Joe Aquilante, who happens to build and maintain some of the Vettes that HeinRocket has had much success with running in the SCCA ranks. It also didn't hurt that Phoenix had built the V that John Buttermore has had his success in T2 so I know they have experience working with V's

First order of business is to completely remove the interior and begin fabrication on the SCCA/NASA legal rollcage, as well as remove all of the non-essential parts such as the air conditioning and other heavyweight items.
(BTW, please contact me if you should need any stock interior parts)

Pictures to follow soon...

*About Phoenix Performance: Phoenix Performance, LLC owned by Joe Aquilante, is based in a 32,000 sq ft race shop in Phoenixville, PA. Since 1999, Phoenix Performance-prepared cars have won 21 SCCA National Championship Runoffs in Touring and Showroom Stock classes, 2 professional series Driver and Manufacturer Championships, and the GM Motorsports Winner's Circle Award

See less See more
#115 · (Edited)
UPDATE * 8/30/2012*

Rear Deck sheetmetal is being fabricated

Hard-wired Transponder is getting installed, almost time for dyno and corner-weight...

#116 ·
Do you plan to sitck with the stock V1 calipers?

#117 ·
Yes I do...for a few reasons:

I've never had a problem with them.
Its a consumable item, so its cheaper/easier to get rotors in stock sizing.
And I could swear I read something in the rules that only allowed for the stock sizing of rotors.

Reactions: yooper
#118 ·
* UPDATE * 9/10/2012

It runs :)

Lots of progress these past 2 weeks.

Both seats are mounted and harnesses installed
Front and Rear tow hooks are installed
Relocated and hotwired the trunk release for access
Wheels and tires mounted up
Front brake ducts just about complete...(don't ask)
Connected battery and started right up. No leaks, no drips

#119 ·
Sha-wingggg!

I want those brake ducts Chris. Looks like you said goodbye to the front wheel tubs.

Car looks fantastic!!

#120 ·
Sent ya a PM regarding.

Don't know on the wheel tubs yet, the ducts are just layed in there right now. We removed the stock one in the opening of the fascia and replaced it with a carbon fiber scoop. I was tempted to either remove the whole marker light housing similar to D3's car or do like yooper/powell did and run hose from the carbon fiber to a mesh screen...

#123 ·
UPDATE * 9/14/2012 *

Just got a couple of teaser pics from the shop...

The car is off the lift, washed up and driving on its own
The windshield support bars were installed and getting ready to install the front & rear lexan

#124 ·
Lovely. Well done.

#127 ·
Should have the figures in another week or so...

#128 ·
UPDATE * 9/18/2012 *

Had a track day at NJMP with a friend and Aaron Povoledo so I decided to stop by the shop.
The rear bulkhead is now completely finished and painted.
Both Front and Rear lexan has had the edges painted black and are installed
They did some grip tape in the foot wells and clear protective tape by the door bars.
Also, since the steering wheel trim was scratched, I had them remove the buttons on the left and relocate them. I can now toggle through my guages again.
Just some odds and ends left before we go to corner-weight and dyno...

#129 · (Edited)
UPDATE * 9/21/2012 *

Tuned and Dyno'd today... 401 hp and 376 tq
Weight is 3366 lbs
Aligned, corner weighted, and ride height was adjusted

Reactions: yooper
#132 ·
Lookin great Chris!

#133 ·
wow, looks great but, more than that - WOW, that's light!

#134 ·
I'm gonna need to lighten up the driver now too :)
You would think adding that cage would have negated it but...The stock front seats are like 60-80lbs a piece, I got rid of that anchor of a clutch/flywheel. The TD wheels are lighter, the 2 piece rotors helped and switching to lexan helped alot. The best part is there are still some things I can do

#135 ·
Chris
You're running headers only right? Nice dyno numbers for only headers. What does ST2 allow in the V?

#136 ·
Correct that is headers, no cats, and magnaflow. ST2 is pretty open. If my math is correct I have some room for improvement. The horsepower to weight ratio is 8.7. The way I added the adjusments it puts me over a little bit which means I can add horsepower, take off weight, or both. My plan was to go as light as I can make it and then add horsepower to get as close to 8.7 as possible. Heads and Cam are definitely in the cards and if I play it right down the road a dog ring box can make it in

#153 ·
Yep lucky for me, the car is still loaded on the trailer...
ST2 is going to get faster. But actually if I read and did the math correct, I'm right at ST3 now without touching anything. May open another door for me, gonna wait and see what takes place

#154 ·
Yep lucky for me, the car is still loaded on the trailer...
ST2 is going to get faster. But actually if I read and did the math correct, I'm right at ST3 now without touching anything. May open another door for me, gonna wait and see what takes place
Agree, should be some nice car counts in ST3. I still have the CCW wheels if you need more tire.

#139 ·
Out of the batteries I checked on it seemed the Braille one that I bought was lighter @ 21lbs. The only ones I found that weighed less were full blown lithium ion and the prices were a little too crazy. They weighed next to nothing tho.

#144 ·
Junior1 is swanky. He might need the AC. ;) Since he's not quite finished, just wasn't sure he removed it yet and whether the weight was with or without it.

#145 ·
Probably do a little Cool Shirt setup down the road

#146 ·
UPDATE * 10/9/2012 *

DONE

So after 10 months and approximately 240+ man hours, the car is now done
Aside from some fitment adjustments made today everything went smooth
The car is now home and ready for some shakedown. There is still a few things on my list to do but I am going to see what track time I can line up in the next couple of weeks.
The car is still loaded in the trailer and I should have some more pictures up tomorrow or the next day since its been raining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.