Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The Build...

48K views 208 replies 50 participants last post by  CTS-VR 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you guys know, I've been bouncing around the idea of converting the V into a dedicated track car.
Main use will be to run NASA's ST2 class with the possibility of running in other SCCA classes as well.
Today, I'm happy to report that the first step in the build process has begun.
I hope to provide a step by step process that will detail all of the changes from start to finish...

Vehicle as it stands today road ready is:

2005 CTS-V
Light Platinum w/ Black interior
LS6/6 speed tremec
11,771 miles

Current Mods:

Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust
Diablo Predator tune
Ron Davis Racing radiator
FG2 Shocks
UUC Poly motor mounts, tranny mount, and diff bushing
UUC short shifter
Spectre Werkes delrin cradle bushings
Rear Strut tower brace
UUC Braided brake lines
GM Performance/Brembo cross drilled rotors
Motul 600 fluid
Michelin Pilot SuperSport Tires

12/4/11: Conversion

All Fab work for the rollcage as well as complete gut of the interior and removal of all non-necessary parts is being done by Phoenix Performance*
Last year at the V Performance Lab @ MMC, I met John Heinricy who recommended I get in touch with the owner, Joe Aquilante, who happens to build and maintain some of the Vettes that HeinRocket has had much success with running in the SCCA ranks. It also didn't hurt that Phoenix had built the V that John Buttermore has had his success in T2 so I know they have experience working with V's

First order of business is to completely remove the interior and begin fabrication on the SCCA/NASA legal rollcage, as well as remove all of the non-essential parts such as the air conditioning and other heavyweight items.
(BTW, please contact me if you should need any stock interior parts)

Pictures to follow soon...

*About Phoenix Performance: Phoenix Performance, LLC owned by Joe Aquilante, is based in a 32,000 sq ft race shop in Phoenixville, PA. Since 1999, Phoenix Performance-prepared cars have won 21 SCCA National Championship Runoffs in Touring and Showroom Stock classes, 2 professional series Driver and Manufacturer Championships, and the GM Motorsports Winner's Circle Award

See less See more
#2 ·
Go for it Chris. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Dropped it off at the shop yesterday...

Let me know if you need any black interior parts

#9 ·
got any non peeling radio buttons?

Reactions: VisBoss550
#14 ·
Nothing set in stone as of yet other than to try and shave off as much as I can in increments.
2 piece rotors, TD wheels, carbon fiber race seats, carbon Fiber body panels, Lexan windows, etc.

What I do have is a ratio. That ratio is equal to or greater than 8.70:1.
NASA uses this "adjusted" weight to horsepower ratio to classify the vehicle. Which basically opens up the door to unlimited performance/body/chassis and aero modifications. Certain items such as a dog ring gear box carry a penalty of -0.2 and other things such as it being a four door allow +0.4.
I can go greater than that ratio (less competitive), but under that ratio bumps me into a faster class (in this case it would be ST1 with a ratio of 5.50:1)
My plan is to trim as much as I can and get as close as possible to that 8.70 ratio.

#16 ·
Yep similar idea, that was for Time Trial IIRC, + or - points.

These get added or subtracted from the overall ratio

#18 ·
Sorry about that Donny. I got your PM the other day but I was just waiting back for an email. I'm pretty certain you are talking about the "sail panels" and unfortunately both of mine have the same plastic tab thats snapped that allows them to pop out erery so often.
You can get in touch with Luke from Lindsay, I think he had them in stock and they were not too expensive IIRC.

#20 ·
*UPDATE* 12/15/2011

Moved into the Roll Cage shop

Removed all of the interior, the windshield and the back glass and everything else inside that would be in the way of the roll cage assembly.

Today, they will start prepping the mounting points for the roll cage and bending bars !!!

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Engine Auto part
Vehicle Car Auto part Hood Automotive lighting

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Trunk

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part Rim
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine City car

Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Hood
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part City car

#21 ·
This is going to be epic! :pop2:

#23 ·
LOL wifey said the same thing...I said "look someone stole the whole interior"

#24 ·
LOL,

I just sent Joe an e-mail about a possible cage for my car, before I even bothered to do a search over here.

Junior, Can you PM me your e-mail, I'd like to talk if possible.

-Chris

#25 ·
This would be would be awesome to have..

When people got in they'd think, "uhh, this dude is serious".

Say you get chosen for lunch taxi... you get squirrely and people start questioning your behavior, demanding to get out of the car, etc, you just say: "shutup and relax!, we have a rollcage."

I wonder if you get a discount or dropped by the insurance company with this mod :hmm: :alchy:

#34 ·
*UPDATE* 12/30/2011

Removed caulk and seam sealer from the interior.

Put on the lift and prepped anchor points from below.

Race seat came in, Recaro Pro Racer HANS XL, along with aluminum mounting brackets

Black Product Personal protective equipment Sportswear Sleeve

More pics to follow over the weekend...

#36 ·
*UPDATE* 1/4/2012

As promised, some updated pics after I went to the shop to drop off the seat and brackets...

Caulking, seam sealer, and sound proofing removed. Mounting points being prepped

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part Trunk
Auto part Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Engine
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive tire Auto part

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Trunk
Auto part Vehicle
Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior Subcompact car

Hood Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Wheel
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hood Automotive window part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Hood

#38 ·
*UPDATE* 1/20/2012

Few more pictures to add...

Making some progress on the cage...Main hoop, Halo, Door Bars, A Pillars and Rear Mounts
And removal of some unnecessary items and A/C equipment underhood.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Rim
Vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle door Car Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Sedan

Reactions: Houdini
#39 ·
* UPDATE * 1/25/2012

Lexan windows got delivered today. Windshield, Back glass and Rear Door glass with Makrolon coating.
All 4 pieces plus the shipping materials and box were not even 50 lbs.

Textile Linens
Material property Textile Paper Auto part Plant
Pattern Textile Pattern Linens Paper

Reactions: Ikera and Houdini
#42 ·
Not exact numbers but with the removal of the stock seats and all interior trim they figured it to be pretty close to even.
With the addition of the lexan though we're pretty confident we are well under now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.