Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Project "VANQUISH" Widebody kit for CTS-V

84K views 171 replies 56 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
#1 ·
Hello All,
Some of you may know about this build that I alluded to in a previous thread called “First Ever Penske 7500 Double Adjustable True Coilover for a CTS-V”. So, let’s start from the beginning.
Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, blah, blah, blah…I owned a 2005 CTS-V, which I had for a couple of years. At that time, there were very few performance after-market parts available for this car. And, as in my case, every vehicle that I’ve ever owned, I’ve modified in some way, shape or form. I was invited by Cadillac/GM to test drive the 2nd generation CTS-V before they were released in the showrooms, on a road course in New York. After test driving the new V, I was told that GM, would offer a track package for this car. But, because the economy went into the crapper, GM decided not to go forward with this package. So, I decided to wait. At the same time, I test drove an XLR-V on the road course and really enjoyed the car. I knew with some modifications, as always, that the car could be that much better. So, I bought one.

A couple of years later, in 2010, I remembered how much fun and driving enjoyment I got out of driving my CTS-V and figured by this time, there should be performance after-market parts for the car. So, hence, the search began for a 1st generation CTS-V. I decided on the 1st generation, compared to the 2nd, for a couple of reasons. First, I’m a road racer, not a drag racer, so I wanted something that was naturally aspirated, not super charged. Second, the 2nd gens were quite a bit heavier than the 1st gens. And, the electronics – well, let’s just say that the same ECUs and electronics that are in the XLR-V, are also used in the 2nd gen CTS-V. So, for modification purposes, at this time, it’s quite a nightmare, even for some of the most knowledgeable out there.

I found a 2006 CTS-V: one owner, very low mileage, and no accidents. So, this was the perfect platform with which to start. I started with the suspension. I put in a call to Angelo at Anze Engineering, who has built suspension systems for these production cars, along with the race versions. And, since he was using Penske, I knew that he was the best choice for my suspension.

In saying all this, I knew that one of the biggest things that people want on these cars is to put on larger wheels and tires. But, because of suspension, clearance and geometry issues, there were limitations. With all this in mind, I wanted to build a wide body kit to address all these challenges, without major modifications to suspensions or geometry of the vehicle.

After much research and knowing how many people love to take these cars on a road course on a high performance track day, I knew it was time to get some real, solid production parts for these cars, and not some of the so-called after market bling that really does not produce much gain. So, in April 2010, I started to look for someone to work with to build a wide body kit for these cars that doesn’t look like aftermarket, slap-on Jeep fenders.

Finding someone local was my intent, but if need be, out-of-state was an option. Fortunately, I found that person, and he is local. So, thus began the design work. There were three points that I was not going to budge on: Form, Fit and Function.
While designing, I looked at other avenues of the vehicle that I thought needed upgrading, such as larger brake system (not that the OEM isn’t capable, as it is very capable). But, in performance, success is measured in milliseconds and the better the braking capability, the bigger the edge. I have been working with vendors on upgrades to the upper and lower control arm bushings, coilovers to adapt from the OEM rear to a true coilover, 6-point roll bar, and a few other aerodynamic goodies which are being developed. While speaking with quite a few manufacturers over this build, some had expressed the desire to display the car at SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturer’s Association.)

So, the building of the kit commenced on January 25, 2011 and Project “VANQUISH” was born. Knowing that we were heading to SEMA, the amount of work for this car increased trifold. Unfortunately, we hit some snags; some good, some bad. Good ones include my fabricator’s new baby girl in Sept (and as most of you know, life changes dramatically with a new baby.) Some of the bad include the extreme high heat and humidity this summer which made working with fiberglass a challenge. Not to mention health issues. Fortunately, when we were accepted by a manufacturer to display the car, I told them to have a back-up, just in case. And, as of late September, we knew we were not going to make the deadline. Considering there is only one fabricator and one me, and my relentless pursuit of perfection, we did the best we could.

Now, let’s get to the details of the kit. This kit will contain the front bumper, left & right fenders, left & right rocker panels, left & right rear quarter panels and a rear bumper. Options include a heat-extractor hood, front splitter, and rear wing. There will also be a six point, welded or bolted, roll bar available (more on this in another thread.)

To give you an idea of the type of quality that I expect in the vendors that I work with, see Photo 1. It is one of my cars that was featured in national and international magazines and has won countless awards

The kit will be made out of fiberglass. I am investigating the possibility of also providing a carbon fiber kit. The front bumper, rear bumper, fenders and rocker panels are going to be bolt-on. The rear quarter panels will require a skilled body man to install, due to the fact that 98% of the rear quarter panel will be cut out. This kit will allow you to run a 315 tire on an 11” wide wheel, with OEM back spacing in the front, and a 335 tire on an 18” wide wheel, with OEM back spacing in the rear. This kit will only be sold to CTS-V owners and will require your VIN number for purchase. This is to keep the clones at bay. Pricing is yet to be determined, but I will tell you now, that the pricing will be extremely competitive. At this point, our goal is to be ready for production orders in January.

I know you are waiting for photos of this. The only photos I can show you are Photo 2, which is the car as of a few days ago. As you can see, not much to look at….but Photo 3 shows some of the parts, on stands, that have just emerged from the primer booth, waiting to be blocked & sanded to make the final molds for production parts.

I’d be glad to answer any questions that you may have. I promise to keep you up to date on our progress. At this point, the few, (and I do mean few – you can count the number on one hand) who have seen this car, have made comments like “…if I saw this car in my rear view mirror on the street or track, advancing towards me, I would move over…””Mean” “Wicked”

Thank you for your interest and patience; I know you won’t be disappointed.

Attachments

See less See more
#114 ·
Hi All,

Got back from the Rolex 24 great race. If you have never been it is one thing to go and see as far as races go.

We should finally be getting in the fiberglass we have had ordered today. We will start making final parts next week .

In the mean time we are working on the rear wing brackets so they can be mounted to the frame of the car.

I am also working on the possibility of Carbon Fiber. If We do this the parts will not be like alot carbon fiber stuff you see out there which either has one layer of carbon fiber and the rest fiberglass or they use black fiberglass which looks like carbon fiber but does not have any of the properties of carbon fiber,Strength or weight advantages.

For instance the hood would be made out of a dry carbon and honeycomb and will only weigh 3-4lbs and it will be a full fledge competition piece.

All of the parts will require a autoclave to produce the strongest and lightest parts. And that is not cheap by any means so if your are looking for carbon fiber BLING these parts are not for you, they will have to be painted or wrapped because they will not come with a glossy finish as you see on a lot of carbon fiber pieces. If any of you have ever seen a true race car with carbon fiber pieces before a wrap or paint you will know what I am talking about.
I don't want to discourage you, I just want to let everyone know that up front and not mislead you about cost. These parts will be for competition.I hope to have some pricing in the next few weeks.

I will continue to keep all of you updated
Thank You

#119 ·
UPDATE...........

Rear bumper, side rocker panels, right fender are done. Glassing left fender today. Front bumper next week, then the hood.

Production panels are very light (have not weighed yet for true numbers)The Fiberglass that we have used is for aircraft so it has an amazing amount of flexibility for fiberglass. Things are moving along.

Anymore photos will not be released untill the car is finished that way you will be able to get the whole picture instead of production bits.

#120 ·
UPDATE...........

Rear bumper, side rocker panels, right fender are done. Glassing left fender today. Front bumper next week, then the hood.

Production panels are very light (have not weighed yet for true numbers)The Fiberglass that we have used is for aircraft so it has an amazing amount of flexibility for fiberglass. Things are moving along.

Anymore photos will not be released untill the car is finished that way you will be able to get the whole picture instead of production bits.
Any idea as to when we'll get to see the end result?

Also, would you be able to integrate vents (seamlessly) on the rear side of the flares that would aid in evacuation of built up air from within the wheel wells?

#122 ·
I built a DIY front undertray for a Miata I used to own. It incorporated a 1"-1.5" splitter as well, as the nose of the car easily allowed for the addition. I extended it rearward to the cross beam of the engine cradle, as wide as possible from wheel well to wheel well without the tires touching at full lock, and as close to the control arms but with room for them to move without interference. Driving without it and with it demonstrated it had an enormous improvement on front stability at highway speeds. Can't say I noticed an improvement in engine cooling, but one must be cognizant of not making the tray so long that it blocks airflow through the engine bay. A heat extractor hood was eventually added, and the front stability and coolant temps were again significantly improved. So much so that I had to add a rear spoiler to compensate. I used 1/8" black ABS plastic, and it held up quite well, even in parking lot dings. If I had gone more than an inch or two longer on the splitter, I would have added supports, but I think less than 2" of splitter won't require additional supports. I think the V would require 2 pieces; one behind the front air dam and a second piece in front for the splitter. I think if tabs were left on the ABS, they could slide into the existing slots for the air dam, and once secured with fasteners, provide additional front aero. Again, I wouldn't go overboard on the splitter length, or supports would have to be added.

If one built a tray behind the front air dam, either the existing factory tray would have to remain intact, or the DIY tray would have to be secured to the existing panels so that at least the current level of sealing in front of the radiator were maintained. Airflow leakage around the front of the radiator is a significant factor to consider.

One good thing about 1/8" ABS is that a heat gun on a low setting is good enough to mold it to tighter shapes without much effort. Too much heat will bow or melt it, and weaken it.

#123 ·
Hi All, UPDATE.......

I have been swamped but we are finally making the production hood this week. The rest of the panels are done, after the hood is finished everything gets block sanded then it is off for the motor and all the other goodies (In boxes) that have been taking up my garage space for way too long.

#124 ·
:bump: :pop2:
any new pics?

#133 ·
zz, Angelo says hello...

Few questions: looking to do some aero, where are you at with the rear wing? and regarding the hood, any status on carbon fiber? otherwise whats the weight on the glass one?

PM me if you want...

#144 ·
UPDATE:

Hello all,

Waiting on backordered parts for clients cars so we have had time to work on the "V". First paint job is finished and when I get back from "SEMA" we start on the engine(dry sump,oil,trans,diff coolers and engine work etc..., .Then off to do the roll bar. Finally second paint job and to reassemble. I will try and post some photos when I get back, not much to look at since the car is in pieces.

For all those members on the East coast hope you are all safe!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.