Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My F1c Pro-Charged CTS-V is complete

20K views 86 replies 25 participants last post by  crete68s 
#1 · (Edited)
Project finally done on my 2004 CTS-V. Here are pictures of the set up most of you been waiting for.

Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Luxury vehicle
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Grille

Original LS6 motor stroked to a 383 with all forged internals, diamond pistons, kooks long tube headers, dart 225 heads,LS7 throttle body, fast 92 intake, Ford 8.8 rear end,
cam, magna flow exhaust, twin 255 fuel pumps, 60lb injectors, F1c pro-charger, huge 4 core intercooler, 50mm blow off valve and etc. 9lbs boost 641 rwhp and 575 torque with 4 1/2 pulley. With 4 inch pulley made 718 rwhp and 637 torque.

See less See more
#2 ·
So, what kinda boost you runnin with the 4" pulley ?
Is there a filter on that ProCharger intake ?

#6 ·
13lbs with the 4 inch pulley. There is no air filter only a screen cap that goes over it. I was thinking to either cut the pipe shorter to attach a filter on it or add an elbow and then attach the air filter. I think it would be better for the pro-charger. How much boost you running?

So, what kinda boost you runnin with the 4" pulley ?<br>
Is there a filter on that ProCharger intake ?

#3 ·
Looks clean. Good numbers too.

#10 ·
Sorry no dyno sheet but I'm sure it could be printed out. Car is making this power with a mild tune. In a couple of weeks my tuner is coming down to tweak it up a little making it more aggressive. Now the timing is only at 14. It should be at least 18. I will post the before and after dyno sheets.

#16 · (Edited)
I will put in story mode for you. When I first bought this car in 2005 in the first week had a 125 shot nitrous wet system installed and a tune. I went from 337 rwhp to 464 rwhp. Next as always you want more power. That is when the kooks long tube headers, dart 225 heads with port work, dual spring, fast 92 intake, ls7 ported throttle body, cam which a 232-234 on 112 lobe which still the current cam that I'm using now and magna flow exhaust came in. Oh I also bumped up the nitrous to a 150 shot. With the tune I was making 575 rwhp and 560 torque. With that set up I was beating my friends 2007 Z06 vette stock. Then my friend had done a few mods on his Z06 making 510 rwhp. We raced again maybe the 10th time he finally beat me by 1 car length. We raced again I was wheeling in on him and that when my fuel pump went out. All I see is a huge white cloud behind me. My CTS-V had a quarter size hole in the piston:helpless:. Next day I had the Caddy towed to the dealer. The price they told me for the repair was crazy. So I used the repair cost in better use. I figure the price it cost to get it fix is the same price to get it stoke to a 383. I told the dealership I will have the towed to my friend shop. That is when the new goodies came in. Nice all forged rotating assembly, diamond forged pistons, bearings, original block machined and balanced. BTW in between this story the rear end broke twice on the car. Now after the new build the rear end blown up on second gear. The dealer already replace the unit twice. So I had enough with this week rear end unit. That time there were still no solutions for the cts-v rear end units. The wheel hop kit were crap. It never worked for my car. So I remembered a buddy of mines with a 2004 cobra just in stall a straight axle on his car. I ask his if he still has his 8.8 irs.Yes. Only $400 bucks:cool2:. I had a eaten posi unit with the 355 gears installed. I had my car towed to my friend shop and they do any fabrication work. The spline is different. So I call Moser Engineering I told I need a custom axle made. I told them all measurements. Make one side spline into the ford 8.8 and the other to the cts-v hub. This idea worked. I still had all my traction and stability control. Also I had the drive shaft modified and balanced. That was the best investment. I also had drag bags install too. Now I got tire of filling up nitrous bottles and not being prepared for sudden race's. That's when the F1c pro-charger came in. I took the car to my friend shop to beef up the transmission. I told him I'm tired of the nitrous. I was in his office and I seen a huge pro-charger on top the desk. WOW! I ask him what is that for? He told he was going to put it in his car but he change his mind. He wanted to go single turbo on his race car which is a honds s2000 with an LS3 motor under the hood. He recommend me to go pro-charged. He said this is not a regular pro-charger. It is a F1c with upgrades gears. I was excited when told me I could make it work in the cts-v. So I told go ahead. I gave permission to do whatever he needs to do make work. You don't need to call me. Just surprise me. After six weeks. Wow! What a surprise. They wrap the rear wheels with mickey thompson et steet radials and the fronts with the new c3 rated for 200 mph. They install a huge 4 core intercooler rated for 1600 hp, turbo smart 50mm blow off valve, twin fuel pumps, 60lb injectors, custom piping, and etc. When I had finally had a chance to drive this Caddy after it was all done, it was just unreal. The car pulls so hard. It boost from 2000 rpm on up. I'm very happy with this build.

#14 ·
NICE! Is that a corvette bracket?
Did you go with speed density tune? Is that a threaded IAT sensor by the bypass valve? How did u adapt it to the stock IAT sensor pigtail?

BTW, Why didn't you clock the volute straight down and ran the charge pipe to the front off the car. That way you could run a horizontal flow intercooler.

#17 ·
Yes, that is a corvette bracket. I did go with a speed density tune. That is a IAT sensor near the blow off valve. The wires that was connected to the mass air flow sensor we pulled 2 of wire from it to wire the IAT sensor. It worked perfect. As for the piping we had a custom 4 core intercooler made with the in and out on the same side. When it comes to custom work we all have different idea's. We also use a different radiator from a LS7 Z06 corvette and aftermarket fans that is thin and powerful.

#19 · (Edited)
turbo smart 50mm blow off valve ??

I hope this is not what I think it is... BOV are for TURBOS only.
you should NOT be using a blow off valve on a pulley driven blower.
you need a bypass valve, (its your choice if you have it recycled or open to the atmosphere)

You can read my reasoning here:
http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performance/BOVvsBypass.htm

Regardless...
Very clean looking install... very nice!

So, is the inlet filtered? no. Hmm.. i would think about adding something.
Using the Corvette bracket removed the bullshit dealing with separate blower crank pullies and the need to customize the power steering pump mounting bracket as well. Nice idea.

700rwhp+ with 60lbs injectors. What is your IDC at?
Doesn't look like you are referencing the fuel (FPR - i dont see any in the pics), so your still using a return-less style. I am surprised... I had nothing but issues with pressure drops with the regulator in tank being the issue (i am running twin GSS340s), removed the in tank regulation.. then ran return line and a FPR.

what is your Static CR with this nice setup?

18° timing with 10 pounds of boost.. mmm.. maybe. I would say 17 at best with 11.8:1AFR, pending IATs, but around there. 14 sounds like about it at peak tq though. so up the timing 5500 and up.

#21 ·
turbo smart 50mm blow off valve ??

I hope this is not what I think it is... BOV are for TURBOS only.
you should NOT be using a blow off valve on a pulley driven blower.
you need a bypass valve, (its your choice if you have it recycled or open to the atmosphere)

You can read my reasoning here:
http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performance/BOVvsBypass.htm

Regardless...
Very clean looking install... very nice!

So, is the inlet filtered? no. Hmm.. i would think about adding something.
Using the Corvette bracket removed the bullshit dealing with separate blower crank pullies and the need to customize the power steering pump mounting bracket as well. Nice idea.

700rwhp+ with 60lbs injectors. What is your IDC at?
Doesn't look like you are referencing the fuel (FPR - i dont see any in the pics), so your still using a return-less style. I am surprised... I had nothing but issues with pressure drops with the regulator in tank being the issue (i am running twin GSS340s), removed the in tank regulation.. then ran return line and a FPR.

what is your Static CR with this nice setup?

18° timing with 10 pounds of boost.. mmm.. maybe. I would say 17 at best with 11.8:1AFR, pending IATs, but around there. 14 sounds like about it at peak tq though. so up the timing 5500 and up.
I appreciate the info on the difference between the 2 valves. My car has no mass air flow sensor. My tuner did the speed density tune. The blow off valve is working great with the set up. There is no stalling whats so ever. I read that there are issues with the BOV when you run the mass air flow sensor.

As for the fuel system I'm surprised also that it is working with the stock fuel rail. They were no issues, no pressure drop. We were getting good readings on the computer. We did buy the fast fuel rails. About a month from now or so we are going to install the fast fuel rails and make a return line. The same time we are going to change the pulley going from 4 1/2 to a 4 inch pulley.

The compression on my engine is 10.8:1. So as for the timing...you recommend 17 degree @5500 and up? My tuner is coming down this Wednesday to do some adjustments.

#20 ·
spd

i was going to stop by your dry cleaners today but because of the rain i figured you wouldnt want to show off the car.. next nice day down here and ill be swinging by.

- will

#22 · (Edited)
Its pretty much default you are running SD. 2Bar minimum... this has nothing to do with the type of valve choice (using MAF or not), only placement! The idea is that you MUST release the pressure on light throttles for better response as well as reducing pressure on the impeller and also keeping IATs as cold as possible. A Blow off valve does NOT do that, it only opens when a certain PSI is reached, hence Blow off. One is open during any vacuum present (a surge or bypass valve) and one ONLY opens when spring rate(PSI is reached - for turbos only)...Anyways.. not saying a BOV wouldn't work, its using the Wrong item for the application and is not ideal.

You might be using the proper item, perhaps just mixing up terminologies. At idle (with vacuum preset, the valve should be OPEN, releasing air, not closed. and will close the closer you get to 0 vac or opening the throttle. A BOV would always be closed until boost is reached, usually when you 'let off' when turbo is spooling, will 'spike or increase the pressure in the intake track... causing the BOV to release...

If you are using a MAF...
The only thing to remember is PLACEMENT of the surge valve should be AWAY from the MAF to avoid air disturbance and fluctuations. A typical setup is Procharger >> Surge Valve >> Intercooler >> MAF >> throttle. I have done a few Boosted with MAF, using saxon screens to straighten air flow. MAF needs to be away from bends and the surge valve. Other problems come into play when using large Slot MAFs 4" + but that's a separate discussion.

Your Running SD, so Surge valve can be anywhere... I prefer Closer to the procharger, mainly to reduce 're-compression through the system (intercooler)' which increases air temps... so releasing the pressure right from the head unit keeps the air cold as can be. If you had it after-cooler, ESPECIALLY a BOV (which is closed at light throttles and idle) the head unit is continually compressing the air and will limit you the faster you spin the head unit (trust me, it will become a factor if you plan to push the system to its limits). -hope that makes sense. Its another reason NOT to use a BOV, again, those are for turbos only. And you are 10.8:1. your setup is not forgiving for increased air temps. Cold air is Key!

Your tuner will find that 4000-4500 will not like too much timing (this is based off an LS6 cam type curve- may be different in your case), regardless, peak tq... and you can then increase after that. (This will be the last row in the timing table... 1.2g/cyl)....if your AFR is sound, yea, I would be shocked at that compression to get near 18°+... but from 14, there is some on the table. Meth Inj?
And your going with a smaller pulley? (Im going to also guess you have the ATI damper 7.4" with 4" pulley.. and that high compression. Not sure on that one... Ethenol or meth inj is knocking on your door.
I think your tuner has a very good idea what he/she is doing, if its running no problem at these levels... i would guess he has done the P0068 adjustment, P0106 Max table, IAT spark base, adjustments for DFCO to work, and then your obvious VE/Spark/PE/BE and so on...

I like your setup! Awesome!
and your friend...s2000 with an LS3? geezuz...lol

Sorry for the huge rant...

Do you have a list somewhere of what you have done?
Clutch used?
You didn't have hood clearance issues? You had to have had to remove the fire/sound cloth minimum... that head unit sticks up a bit. The thing is large!
Im also curious as to how (Im guessing 3" piping) got around the ECM on the drivers side if your intercooler is single sided in/out.

#26 · (Edited)

i saw this beast yesterday. sounded like a jet on the tarmac idling. Really not as invasive as i thought especially compared to the GTO bracket the other guys have used. ECU relocated. 2 holes cut for the intercooler and the rad support cut and rewelded. looks like a mass produced kit. stock procharger vette bracket not the A&A.. vette radiator

oh and this beast has over 100k on the body... monsta

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.