Corsa vs B&B vs Magnaflow vs Stock exhaust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Corsa vs B&B vs Magnaflow vs Stock exhaust in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Corsa vs B&B vs Magnaflow vs Stock exhaust

Well, after trying them all, here are the pros & cons as I see them.

Stock exhaust, well its stock all you hear is the motor.
    No fun for an enthsiast! out with that one.....

B&B..
    Pros... I like the back half of this exhaust ! Its a beauty, looks great. I really like the 4" tips. Pipe fit of the components is very good. Sound is agressive, deep note. Sounds like a big block thru the gears.

Cons
    Minor drone with the cones in the 1500rpm range when low speed loading. Just fine going thru the gears. Should have been made with the ball flare flanges up front like the factory system. (might have been difficult with 3.0" pipes though).. Hangs a little low due to its size. Needs center support.

Corsa
    Pros.. absolutely no drone. Sound wise, higher pitch, really barks when you jump on it, nice growl thru the gears. Has the ball flare mounts on the front pipes. Alignment and fit of the components is good. Fits up tight like the factory system.

Cons
    Too many joints, 6 clamps and the pipe fit is too short and sloppy. You have to crush the outers to get a good squeeze on the pipes (my opinon). Takes more effort to get this system perfectly aligned. I dont like the rear muffs hanging below the body line! Finish & welding (nothing special) although it is pretty uniform throughout.

Summary.. It depends what you like. The B&B was a bit to loud for me although it had a better Idle note, deeper sound thru the gears . Corsa sounds more like a Camaro (throaty) at idle, off throttle popping more noticeable. Its my choice of the two. When I get time, I will pull the system intact and TIG weld it. Im not too thrilled with the <2" bite on the connections.

Magnaflow
    Drove around with the Magnaflow a bit. Its louder then the corsa at warm Idle but quieter than the B&B. The nice thing is that the magnaflow keeps the same volume for the most part. It doesent get incredibly louder when you are on it. Has a drone on lugging but not as loud as the B&B. There is a weight savings though. This system has to weigh 20lbs less than the Corsa.
    Build quality is mediocre! Cant get the tips straight vertically or the mufflers to lay horizontally unless you want to see a visible difference in pipe height below. Needs a little surgery to get it 'right'. Blip the throttle and it sounds great, no cans, no flapping etc.

This is why I like aftermarket stuff so much...When they welded the 2 pipes together w/ strap they didnt have the twist the same. One pipe was higher than the other. The right muffler is rotated relative to the long pipe. The guy must have been drunk when he put the jig together. A lot of scrapes from the mandrel bends. Tip and muffler are welded correct but the pipe off the passenger muffler was also rotated.
    Front to back adjustment is easily done . Just loosen the clamps, slide the pipes
    What these guys need to do, Corsa, B&B, magnaflow...is use V bands for the exhaust and get away from flanges and gaskets. Had em on my turbo car. Easy to remove and never leak!

Its overall an OK exhaust. I probably got a dog and should have sent it back but that would have been another 2 weeks . I will just tweek it my self.I don’t like the minor drone but of the three, I like the sound of this system best! YMMV!
    And that folks, is my story.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Corsa vs B&B vs Stock exhaust

nice, thanks!!

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Very helpful. Thanks for the review.

I am contemplating an exhaust swap because I feel like the engine needs to "breathe" better and the stock exhaust is so quiet (restrictive) that it just has to go. However, I don't want an overly loud "boy-racer" exhaust on the V. I have a Z-06 for that.

It sounds like the Corsa is the way to go for my purposes although I have been very impressed by personal attention that Billy Boat extends to users of the forum.

Carl

Rickerbucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm leaning toward the B&B. If anyone wants to sell theres, let me know.

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

B&B Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane

bbexhaust is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Keep in mind the B & B is available in three versions:

Touring- this system is a little milder but still with the deep B & B tone. It has a 2 1/2" front section with the same 3" rear mufflers. If you are on the fence, give this a try.

Resonator-Full 3" system with a center resonator.

X-pipe- Full 3" system with a center x-pipe.

Headers- The full system with 5" metal cats is now available. After dynoing a number of combinations, I went with a 4 into 1 header with a longer tube primary length. On ther dyno my car made 358 hp with headers and the x-pipe. My only problem is the rate I am wearing out the rear tires.

Thanks.

Billy Boat
    President, Billy Boat Performance Exhaust

blown65 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

cool, I'll prob do the Resonator-Full system and hopefully the intro price doesnt go up before I scrape the few bucks together.

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

I just got my b&b resonator exhaust installed about an hour ago.

Sounds great not to loud or to soft just perfect....well for me anyways.

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Billy

Regarding your Touring edition, I have a few questions:

1. Does it fit like the stock system or is it slung lower like the 3" system?

2. Does it require supporting brackets like the 3" system?

3. Do you recommend cones for the Touring edition?

Thanks for your input and advice.

Carl

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

No report on the Borla? What gives? HMPH! (just busting your b*alls). Thanks for the writeup. No one answer is perfect for all owners.

-Ben

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hey Ben, its bad enough I took a bath on the B&B! I should have waited but I ran out of patience... What Corsa did inside the pipes is really trick! There is no noise in the cabin.. amazing.

PneuBird is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

nice writeup lastass....I've got to agree on the Corsa Exhaust....the bark is there when you want it and sometimes you just want to cruise down the road listening to the radio.

Jerseyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by crowan
    Very helpful. Thanks for the review.

I am contemplating an exhaust swap because I feel like the engine needs to "breathe" better and the stock exhaust is so quiet (restrictive) that it just has to go. However, I don't want an overly loud "boy-racer" exhaust on the V. I have a Z-06 for that.

It sounds like the Corsa is the way to go for my purposes although I have been very impressed by personal attention that Billy Boat extends to users of the forum.

Carl
    Don't think that just because an exhaust is quiet that it is restrictive. It used to be that way back in th eday but things have come along way in muffler technology. The OEM's are actually doing acoustical tuning and using sound cancelation technology on the exhaust, something that used to be reserved for high end vehicle interiors. I've personally been privy to a test of a Random Tech 3" exhaust v.s Corsa 2.5" Ti system test. On a 750RWHP Z06, there was no difference in power betweeen the two, but the Corsa was more mellow at idle, had more of a V8 sound at WOT and weighed 70lbs less!

As for the Borla system, I'll put money down that it will drone, just like thier systems for the C5.

Jersey

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
    Don't think that just because an exhaust is quiet that it is restrictive. It used to be that way back in th eday but things have come along way in muffler technology. The OEM's are actually doing acoustical tuning and using sound cancelation technology on the exhaust, something that used to be reserved for high end vehicle interiors.
    Jersey
    Jerseyboy (and anyone else who wants to chime in):

I had the B&B exhaust, but the drone drove me crazy. So I had it taken off. B&B sent me the cones later, but I haven't put the exhaust back on.

My question: I like the stock exhaust. I'm not a kid and I don't need it loud. Your point in your last post was that the OEM exhaust is not very restrictive, although you didn't directly talk about the CTS-V (I believe you referred to the Z06). Am I giving up a lot by keeping the OEM exhaust? My seat-of-the-pants opinion is I'm not. FYI, performance options include CAI and TPIS headers with high flow cats.

rushguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

When you guys talk about Corsa, do you mean the one that is mentioned as a dealer installed option but has been delayed? I want the one they have in the dealer accessory brochure but the dealer says it hasn't been released yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.