Sparco seats winter project (PICS) - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Sparco seats winter project (PICS) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Junior1 Looks good Mike. BTW, been trying to get in touch, clear out your PM's, your inbox ...
    crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Re: Sparco seats winter project (PICS)

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    Looks good Mike.
    BTW, been trying to get in touch, clear out your PM's, your inbox is full. I need to ask you a few ?'s

thx
    10-4. All clear Chris

Thanks
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

thanks for the update.. looks great.. naf ever send you any detailed pics of the 3point mounting points.. [b pillar exposed mounting spots]

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    thanks for the update.. looks great.. naf ever send you any detailed pics of the 3point mounting points.. [b pillar exposed mounting spots]
    I'm not counting on it. He did post some pics earlier in this thread but not much detail. My problem is that these particular Sparcos fit very close to the B pillar space may be an issue. I'll keep you posted.
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

jweymar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Eforce LS3 V

Any Updates?

lilgCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)

bump

I went with Schroth 4 point ASMs (Profi II FE). Like I said before the Chronos style seat doesn't leave much room for a B pillar belt. Another style seat probably would. I've decided to go with a 4 point roll bar and mount the harnesses that way. It's going in on the 21st for the bar. The car will still be completely streetable, but the back seat will be off limits to passengers. For the guys wanting the 3 point, don't get discouraged. It's been done and the parts are available from Wesco http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seatbelts.html. I'll post up some guidelines and pics on how to install the seats tonight. Then you can decide if this mod is for you. They are pretty simple to install. Getting them lined up is the trick. Putting the old seats back should be fairly easy as well. I'm going to state in my post that this is a track only mod and not for a street driven car. You will disable some airbags which may be unlawful. Stay tuned.

Here are a few hi lights of the Sparco Chronos seat mod for the V1. DISCLAIMER. Let me start off by saying that this mod will disable or remove some of the car's airbags. Some of the original safety features of the car will be changed. This modification is not recommended by me for operating a vehicle on the street. Do so at your own risk. This project is about 80% finished. I have yet to install the 4 point roll bar which will be the anchor point for the harness tail straps. More on that later. The fasten seat belt indicator will not message the DIC with the connectors unplugged. The air bag light is still on until I figure a way to by pass. I started with the following:
    2 Sparco Chronos Road seatd (medium)
    2 Sparco universal mount kits
    2 Sparco universal slider kits
    2 Schroth Profi II ASM FE 4 point harnesses.

The seat cushion and the seat back removed made it easier to get the seats in and out. Once it's out I located the fuse panel in front of the rear seat on the passenger side. I looked under the lid at the diagram and removed the air bag fuse. I relocated to a spare position. There is a plastic tool in the box you can use.

I then removed the torx bolts from the two locations in the rear of the seat. This will become my lap belt anchor points so I saved the bolts.

I then unplugged the grey and yellow connector under the front of the seat.

Removing the seat was easy. I tilted the seat forward by pushing the top of the seat back up and forward. I then pulled the seat backwards out of the two hooked slots in the front of the seat. The seat is heavy about 83 lbs.

The rest of the install was a bit of trial and error. Pictured below is the way the frame sits on the floor. The left side of the pic is the front of the seat frame. Notice the hooked slots I was speaking about. Notice the black plastic heat vent for the rear heat in the following pic. In my install the front rail sat exactly at the seam where the carpet is sectioned. I'm 5'10" and that gives me plenty of fore and aft adjust. If you try to move the frame any closer to the firewall, you may have to trim the heat vent. Also you have to open the slit in the carpet to move the cable harness back a bit.

See next post.

----------

With the Sparco seat assembled to the frame I marked the position I liked then removed the seat from the frame, I pulled up the carpet to begin putting in 4 holes. This is where it gets a bit tricky. The floor is not flat. The front bolts needed to be blocked up with a machined spacer or washers. I used washers. Also I had to flatten a small spot or 2 in the floor with a hammer so the spacers sit flat. The rear holes drilled through 2 layers of sheet metal. I used the frame for a drill template as pictured below.

I should have anchored the lap belts next, but I figured that out later and had to pull the frames back out. Below is the shot of how the Schroth lap belt anchors. Using the original Torx seat mounting locations, I bent the inboard lap belt bracket to 90 degrees (it's OK they are made for that). I bent the outboard lap belt to about 15%. These brackets should always be metal to metal anchored. They hold you in the car not the seat. The old seat mounting locations are perfect.

I made sure when I bolted the frames to the floor I used reinforcement plates under the car. i made these from 3 X 2 stainless steel.

I have TEMPORARILY mounted the tail straps to the rear seat belt anchor mounts. I don't like the angle of the shoulder harness so I'm getting a roll bar.

I'll keep you updated when I get it all wrapped up

Mike

54inches is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Yeah those mounting points are bad, bad, bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
    Yeah those mounting points are bad, bad, bad.
    Roger that. They'll get me to the roll bar shop and that's about it.

Funny that Schroth says a 25 degree angle or less is required. The rear seat anchor mounting is fairly common, but I can't see how anyone can achieve 25 degrees or less with that kind of set up.

The seat back mounting studs are just above the seat belt mounting points ( see pic). They might give you a 25 degree or less tail strap angle.

Ooops forgot the lap anchor pics. See edited post.

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Have you updated this thread? Sorry if you already did, as I did not use search.
    I am really interested in mounting 3 point b pillar seat belts. I want to mount recaros for proper support but do not track enough to warrant going to 5 or 6 pt harnesses. Also I need to keep backseat usable for kids.

Have you seen any pics of b pillar mounting points?

Thanks in advance.

There was a member (NAF) who had a 3 point mounted on some Sparco Milano seats somewhere back and he posted up some pics. I'm still fiddling with a bunch of other stuff right now and haven't got to the 3 point yet, however I'm sure this kit will work out and it doesn't seem too complicated to mount.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Thanks for the link. NAF's pics were taken down.

incubusjunkie614 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

hey crankedupforit i tried to message you but was unable. i am also in the milwaukee/ chicago area and i would love to see your setup. seats are high on my list of mods. any way i could contact you with questions? I think my low post count is preventing me from pm'ing

Sure. We can connect after the holidays. As you may already know from my posts my car is mostly a track toy but the Sparcos I have installed are great street seats as well. They're comfy and they recline. I don't have a 3 point harness or an airbag warning resistor (yet) but I'm sure you can get the idea after you see my car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.