Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Success - C5/C6 pfadt shock mounts go on

13K views 73 replies 23 participants last post by  heavymetals 
#1 · (Edited)
Success - C5/C6 pfadt spherical shock mounts go on

Did threaten to do it. With a bit of improvisation these mounts give your shock a very proper swiveling movement and angle, and zero deflection.

I'll go into some detail as to what was improvised and engineered but all in all pretty easy to do. Quite a big difference in the rear (much much tighter and no longer squeaking from the rubber).

Pics of old (this is what I mean by rubber carnage) and new mounts on the upper rear shocks attached.

Old, wondered what the hell could've mangled it. Only thing I can think of is that the angle was wrong so eventually the rubber gave too much play and massaged that top washer into something that came out of those coin pressing machines you see at amusement parks.

Mounts were the new pfadt spherical swiveling upper shock mounts (made of nice delrin, yes we like it).

OLD:

OLD:

NEW:

NEW:

NEW:

Mounted back up:

Notice the new 'proper' angle of the mounts (way it should've been).

Huge improvement on noise and feel in the rear now. Mind you coming from the rubber mess above putting in a tin can up there probably would've improved it.

Anyway, just saying for those of you with aftermarket shocks or busted upper mounts we have a very viable option.

P.S. It's $250 for a set of 4. You can only use a pair so I have a pair left. If anyone wants to save some money it's $125 + modest shipping.

Drop me an email: ichpen@gmail.com

Link to the actual mounts: http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/139

See less See more
#2 ·
Email sent.

#3 ·
And they're sold to you sir. Thanks for the prompt response. :)

#5 ·
Sorry........however at least my car is running........I should have first dibs.:p

#10 ·
C5 flange.....right ichpen? Although you told me the stock will work (which you described as rubbery) as well.

#11 ·
Yep, old flange off a C5. It was hollowed out already hence why we used it and as you can see my stock rubber was mangled nicely. The stock should work also. You may want to cut out the rubbery bit first to give you enough room to install the top spherical mount. Depends on how long the top pin is on your shocks. I know the length varies between shock makers.

Personally I'd ditch the stock flange/bracket and just get a metal solid one. Any vette one will work as they're all the same size. Just need a couple of pairs of bolts and nuts of similar size.

#16 · (Edited)
Nik
Did the C5 flanges increase the total shock height? They look like they may have added to the stack height since they are not as flat as the stockers.

#12 ·
P.S> Sold it already to the crankedup young fellow.

You guys can just go halfsies on new sets. They're $250 for 4.

Shame that I can't make these work up front with our silly shock bushing arrangement.

Nik

Extra parts you may need: a few thick washers (as you can see from the pic). Top washer you can reuse, you may want to put a washer on the bottom also.
Brackets/flanges that are hollowed out and/or solid. Though you can optionally just install the bottom spherical mount only. It'll still swivel but obviously will be rubberized on top. Or cut out the rubber bushing from the stock bracket. Shouldn't be hard. It's pretty soft rubber.

And this was the first thing that my suspension shop recommended I do after they checked out the car.

Now to figure out how to un-seize my stupid BMR rear tie rods.

#13 ·
Some heat and PB!

Reactions: lollygagger8
#15 ·
Yep, easy enough to replace. And thread started on what size the heim joint is on the BMRs.

#17 ·
Don't think so. If anything it was negligible.

#19 ·
Here's what they look like on KWs with the stock flanges opened up. I had this work done buy a local chassis builder guy since it's been so f***ing hot it would make Naf sweat and I needed to get this done before my next track outing.

#21 ·
Looks good mate. Glad you got them installed.

Penske's were to the best of my knowledge a one off (or rather a few were built, I believe total of 5). The rears are apparently custom (or at least the bracket is). Picked them up a while ago from a member here.

#22 ·
#26 ·
Yes that's right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.