Upgraded front wheel bearings - SKF X-Tracker
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Upgraded front wheel bearings - SKF X-Tracker in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Cliffs Notes version: The SKF X-Tracker style front wheel bearing / hub assembly for the STS-V (part number 930537) will ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Thumbs up Upgraded front wheel bearings - SKF X-Tracker

Cliffs Notes version: The SKF X-Tracker style front wheel bearing / hub assembly for the STS-V (part number 930537) will fit on the CTS-V, and is probably a good upgrade for those who track their cars.

Full story: Last year a guy on another automotive forum I frequent PM'd me about a upgraded front wheel bearing assembly. Apparently, SKF had a new design on display at SEMA in a 6-lug variant, so this guy had contacted SKF to find out what the story was. Their response was...
    Quote Originally Posted by SKF email
    Thank you for your email inquiry. Currently SKF is only in production with a 6 lug @114mm (4.5") bolt pattern. This is used on the Cadillac STS-V. It is an extremely stiff bearing specially designed for that application. The stiffness helps reduce deflections of the corner during high speed manuvering [sic] and helps reduce brake piston knockback due to the brake disk pushing the pads back into the caliper during cornering. It has the standard GM trianglar [sic] 3 bolt hole mounting flange for the knuckle and a passive ABS sensor built into it. The bearing is roll formed so it is self contained and is suitable for driven and non-driven applications.
    Apparently, SKF was tapped by GM to develop wheel bearing/hub assemblies that would survive on the STS-V. Here's some info from SKF's webpage about the resulting X-Tracker wheel bearings, and a PDF that has similar info. You can see there are some pretty significant improvements in rigidity of the bearing/hub assembly. While I can't say I've had any issues with pad knock-back, it certainly can't hurt to have stronger/better wheel bearings, particularly on a car that sees track time on sticky R-compounds.

At the time, I had just replaced both front hubs with Timken units, so I filed the above information away for future reference. A couple months ago, during a pre-track day tech inspection, the tech at Lindsay told me I had a just a little bit of play in the passenger front bearing, so I went looking for the SKF hubs.
    I was under the impression that the STS-V and CTS-V used the same knuckles/hubs/brakes, but when I looked up the part numbers through gmpartsdirect.com and rockauto.com, they showed different numbers. I don’t have the OEM part numbers handy, but the SKF part numbers were quite confusing. They showed the CTS and STS used the same bearings (930298 front and 930081 rear), which would seem to confirm my initial impression (that the parts were compatible). Both of those parts were shown to have a “flange offset” of 1.66”.

Confusion started to set in as I looked at some of the other STS/STS-V part numbers. First, there were 2 different rear 6-lug parts listed, one for the STS-V (930539) and one for a non-V (930458). A 6-lug non-V? The non-V part had that same 1.66” flange offset, but the V hub assembly showed a 2.67” offset. Hmmm, that doesn’t make sense… Double .

When I looked at the CTS-V part numbers, I saw (as expected) the same 1.66” flange offset for front and rear (930313 and 930368, respectively). But the front STS-V bearing (930537) was listed with that same weird 2.67” flange offset. All of the pictures of the bearings looked essentially the same, so I couldn’t see where that extra 1” of flange offset was supposed to be.

In the end, I decided to just go ahead and order the X-Tracker bearings for the front of the STS-V (930537) from rockauto.com. I figured if there really was a 1” difference in any of the dimensions, it would be readily apparent, and I would just return them if they weren’t right for the CTS-V. As you’ve probably already surmised, in the end the X-Tracker hubs fit on the CTS-V just fine. I think I might have a picture at home of the SKF X-Tracker STS-V hub assembly sitting next to the Timken CTS-V hub assembly just to show that the dimensions are the same. I just sent an email to SKF through their "Contact Us" page asking what the "flange offset" measurement is supposed to be, and to clarify whether the 2.67" vs. 1.66" thing is a mistake in their catalog. We'll see if I get any response.

I don’t have any data to show that these bearings are better than the non-X-Tracker assemblies. However, the 5-lug variant is apparently the hot ticket for the Vette guys that open track or race on sticky tires. I also don't know if the rear X-Tracker bearings (930539) will work on the CTS-V, but I'm pretty sure they would.

One final note – How do you know whether a bearing assembly is an X-Tracker, say if you’re shopping for another vehicle? Well, I don’t know. When I was researching these parts just a couple of months ago, when you called up the “Attributes” for each bearing, below the dimensions it also listed “X-Tracker: Y or N”. Now that’s gone. I don’t know why that line is no longer there. Perhaps they’re transitioning all of their bearings to the X-Tracker design, so they no longer need to differentiate them?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Re: Upgraded front wheel bearings - SKF X-Tracker

How timely your post. I was just thinking about wheel bearings. Having a hard time doing a part number search on rockauto.com for 930537. Can't seem to locate it. Have a link?

Never mind it's BR930537

Great find BTW

Yeah, BR930537.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

If I may think out loud here: isn't pad knock back SIGNIFICANTLY less of an issue for fixed caliper applications? If the rotor pushed the 2 outer pistons back, the inner ones would move toward the rotor, just to equalize the pressure, and no fluid would actually be moved out of the caliper, unlike a floating caliper. Well, technically, if the rotor is at an angle (it would be if the bearing deflected) then the pads would spread just a touch more than if it moved 100% laterally (remember geometry?). But I suspect this is much, much less of a concern in our applications.

Still, it's nice to know there's an upgraded, even OEM, bearing available.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

FYI, there was some STS performance package that had 6-lug wheels and the Brembo brakes, but was not a V. I assume it was a way to use up parts or something.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

^^^Perhaps in 08 when the GM Performance Division was in hiding.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Cliff notes version of the PDF Pat linked from Pioneer Tire and Wheel

The X-TrackerŪ hub is a unique, high performing hub bearing assembly manufactured
    exclusively by SKF. It was developed for the OE market to deliver precision performance
    and handling requirements of high performing sports cars and light trucks.
    Some key points to remember on X-TrackerŪ hub units by SKF:
    • Asymmetrical design increases the bearing's stiffness and capacity by over 50%
    • Allows wheel to run truer during cornering and acceleration
    • Reduces deflection (flexing) of the hub face providing better braking and handling
    • Minimizes rotor run out and pedal pulsation
    • Improves NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) characteristics
    • Up to 40% more bearing life in the same size package

Strength and bearing life (if all of it is true) makes this a smart buy.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

So does that mean our factory wheel bearings aren't anything special? Are they SKF? I thought I read that somewhere...

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    So does that mean our factory wheel bearings aren't anything special? Are they SKF? I thought I read that somewhere...
    Previous SKF discussion:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-bearings.html

POS VETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I wonder if this is the same upgrade SKF hub for C5/C6 except for the different number of studs. If so, this is also an opportunity to convert to 5-lug configuration.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

The 04-07 hub units are not SKF hub trackers, some of the STSV's were. More to come.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

I mentioned this thread to Luke (Lindsay) and he ordered an STS-V Bearing to compare to a CTS-V bearing.
    Here is what Luke said:

Looked at a STS-V hub today and the only noticeable difference I see is that the plate where the studs are is slightly beveled which makes it a little thicker. Overall height seems to be the same (again with the naked eye). The center of the STS-V hub is open and splined because it is the same hub they use on the all wheel drive STS. I don’t see that that would be an issue though.
    Does that sound like the X-Tracker?
    If so, his price seems good at <$300 each.

AAIIIC- Many thanks for this info.

They are splined, as Luke said. I could've sworn I took some pics of the SKF hub assembly side-by-side with the Timken assembly or one of the stock assemblies, just to show they were the same dimensions, but I don't know where I saved those pics.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

http://www.skf.com/skf/news/html/pop...age=en&lang=en

States SKF began supplying the X-Tracker for the 2006 model year STS-V, and that they are being made specifically at their Italian plant. What does the "made in...." label say on your hubs, AAIIIC?

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    States SKF began supplying the X-Tracker for the 2006 model year STS-V, and that they are being made specifically at their Italian plant. What does the "made in...." label say on your hubs, AAIIIC?
    Sorry, but not much chance I'll get to look for that any time soon, as I'm broken and somewhat restricted in my ability to do anything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.