Got Katech LS9 Clutch Kit Installed ... finally.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Got Katech LS9 Clutch Kit Installed ... finally. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; It's been sitting in the basement for six months now, but finally got it installed along with Luke's stainless steel ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Got Katech LS9 Clutch Kit Installed ... finally.

It's been sitting in the basement for six months now, but finally got it installed along with Luke's stainless steel brake lines.

As background, I drove ronr's car after he had it installed last fall and that was only at low speed. I didn't notice the parade clunk and raved about it here at the time. Well, I still have a clunk, but I'd estimate that it's about 80-90% reduced. Clutch disengagement, shifting, and clutch re-engagement is markedly smoother ... like butter, as they say. I still notice a clunking, but it seems to come from rear of the tranny (two-piece driveshaft?) and is much easier to feather the clutch pedal in a way so as to completely eliminate it. Just takes far less concentration than it did before. I cannot say that this is better than other clutch solutions for our cars (Monster, LS7, etc), but this is a big leap better than stock. Is it worth $1.3k? I suppose if you need a clutch (I didn't) and really desire a more refined drivetrain, it is worth it. For me, I like my car $1.3k more now. It feels much more redined now. This is as it should have come from the factory.

FWIW, the UUC FW always worked great ... no complaints ... but I'm glad I did this. Here's a couple of pics of the stock clutch at just under 56k miles and the UUC FW both when new and now with 9k miles on it. Clutch isn't bad, really. FW looks good (as it should). BTW, these are not like your miles ... these are old-man miles.

Stock clutch at 56k miles:

Stock clutch at 56k miles (close up):

UUCFW when new:

UUC FW at 9k miles:

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Got Katech LS9 Clutch Kit Installed ... finally.

Give it 500 miles and then do some young man driving on it

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Give it 500 miles and then do some young man driving on it
    Going to Mackinaw City Friday ... 275 miles one way ... almost all expressway. I suppose those miles don't qualify.

But, I will -- in due time -- put some "young man" miles on it.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Glad you finally got it installed. Hopefully you won't have the same luck as brain (pisnuoff). I'd love to get the ls9 clutch kit in my car just for the smoothness but can't justify that price and don't have the power justification either.

PISNUOFF Guest

Mine will be for sale at a discounted price after I get it warrantied, again. My miles were like pissed off teenager miles.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Going to Mackinaw City Friday ... 275 miles one way ... almost all expressway. I suppose those miles don't qualify.

But, I will -- in due time -- put some "young man" miles on it.
    Nope those don't count young man!

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Finally Randy! Watch how young you get with that clutch.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

for someone with a maggie, is the LS9 clearly worth the price above and beyond the LS7?

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Finally Randy! Watch how young you get with that clutch.
    Yeah, I might even become 56 again.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    for someone with a maggie, is the LS9 clearly worth the price above and beyond the LS7?
    I can't answer that one having only enough knowledge to just barely spell L-S-7. I've never experienced one first hand.

The Katech setup is definitely nice, but it's also definitely pricey.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

at roughly 2x the price of a LS7, its no small purchase. My concerns are drive ability and potential clutch slippage from an LS7.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Drivability and and slippage is not an issue with the LS7 even with a Maggie. The pressure plates on them suck though. They can go bad and start sticking to the floor practically over night. I have had two LS7 clutches, one being a stock LS7 and the other a SPEC and both failed. The OEM did last longer than the SPEC though. Now I have an Exedy twin disk and love it. Don't skimp on a cluth purchase.
    PISNUOFF and PISNUOFF like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    ... Don't skimp on a cluth purchase.
    Even with a typo, I'm thinking that's a good suggestion.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Randy,

Did the new clutch reduce the gear rattle that bugged you so much with the "spring-less UUC/LS6" combo?

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Randy,

Did the new clutch reduce the gear rattle that bugged you so much with the "spring-less UUC/LS6" combo?
    Read your post this morning before going to work, so I tried it. Absolutely no vibration let alone teeth-jaring vibration with slight throttle opening in 5th gear at 25 MPH (that was the worst condition) or in 6th gear at 35 MPH.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Read your post this morning before going to work, so I tried it. Absolutely no vibration let alone teeth-jaring vibration with slight throttle opening in 5th gear at 25 MPH (that was the worst condition) or in 6th gear at 35 MPH.
    The good news then is no noise, the bad news is that you'll have to fight the temptation to drive around in 6th gear all the time and mess up the transmission.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.