Electronic exhaust cutouts, what size and brand?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Electronic exhaust cutouts, what size and brand? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Was thinking of getting cutouts for my 2007 CTS-V....I like it quiet most of the time but it would be ...
    Mangtas83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Electronic exhaust cutouts, what size and brand?

Was thinking of getting cutouts for my 2007 CTS-V....I like it quiet most of the time but it would be nice to open it up with a flip of a switch....I was looking on jegs web site and it doesnt specify what ones i need for my car there are 2.5 and 3.0 inch and bigger....
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Dougs-Headers/...82659/10002/-1
    which one would i need?
    Thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Electronic exhaust cutouts, what size and brand?

I can't help you with the selection other than to report that our stock pipes are 2.5 inch. Be sure to read this other thread before choosing where on the system to install the cut-outs.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...touts-cel.html

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Dmh low profiles. They come off the side of the stock pipe and don't require y-pipes.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Qtp are nice. My exhaust guy said he hasn't seen a set of these go out yet. I'd be more worried about failure than a Y pipe since these aren't really the cheapest things

boosted353 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I LOVE my DMH low profile cutouts. The stock exhaust is 2.5" and is setup perfect for the DMH design. If you put them right before the resonator it is surprisingly loud when they are open. I got them thinking I was going to leave them closed most of the time and only open them when I wanted to play around. After getting them put on, the only time they are closed is if I am going home late (don't want to piss off my neighbors), if I'm on the phone, or talking to someone in the car. I can take a video of them open and closed if you want to get an idea of what it sounds like with the stock exhaust.

perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

DMH Low profiles for sure! I got mine from Stainless Works (who uses the DMH low profile cutouts). I had them installed 2 weeks ago with a switch under the dash (which is quite inconvenient).

The sound, however, is phenomenal. I keep them closed most of the time since it's just "too loud" otherwise.

Cobrahunter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Cts-V

DMH lo pros. Couldn't be happier. OBX LT headers & Cutouts & stock mufflers.....silent or amazing sound!!!!!

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

DMH low pro's without question... a bit expensive but well worth it and the warranty is top notch

Quote Originally Posted by boosted353 View Post
    I LOVE my DMH low profile cutouts. The stock exhaust is 2.5" and is setup perfect for the DMH design. If you put them right before the resonator it is surprisingly loud when they are open. I got them thinking I was going to leave them closed most of the time and only open them when I wanted to play around. After getting them put on, the only time they are closed is if I am going home late (don't want to piss off my neighbors), if I'm on the phone, or talking to someone in the car. I can take a video of them open and closed if you want to get an idea of what it sounds like with the stock exhaust.
    that would be cool....No problems with getting check engine light?

Also what should i expect to pay for install?

I was quoted at $400 for my install (although, I talked them down to $100 but that was ONLY because I was spending $XXXX on a big cam install job at the same time).

I have a CEL but no idea if the cutouts are to blame or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mangtas83 View Post
    that would be cool....No problems with getting check engine light?

Also what should i expect to pay for install?
    I haven't had any issues with a check engine light. I open and close them at least once a day and daily drive the car. As long as you put the cutouts past the o2 sensors it shouldn't trip the check engine light. Mine are right before the resonators where the pipes bend in 45* so they are a reasonable distance past the downstream O2s. I'll try to post the pictures tomorrow of where they are welded and get a video of how they sound if the weather if decent.

I got quoted $80 to get the cutouts welded in. It was easier than he thought it would be because it is literally 2 cuts and 2 welds. It took maybe 20 minutes from the time I drove up to to the time I left. He charged me $20. I left the shop with the cutouts closed, drove over to a friends garage, and we wired them up in a couple of hours. I'm not sure what a shop would charge for wiring them up. Let me know if you have any questions if you decide to do the wiring yourself.

Hey boosted, do you notice that your low end torque suffers with the cutouts open? I think that we have ours in roughly the same position in the car and I notice (in the good ol' butt dyno) that I just don't get up and go as fast when the cutouts are open. Everything sounds great but I am noticeably quicker with the cutouts closes. I'm assuming this has something to do with loss of backpressure.

(Keeping in mind that I have headers and no cats...so with the cutouts open I'm essentially running an open exhaust)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted353 View Post
    I haven't had any issues with a check engine light. I open and close them at least once a day and daily drive the car. As long as you put the cutouts past the o2 sensors it shouldn't trip the check engine light. Mine are right before the resonators where the pipes bend in 45* so they are a reasonable distance past the downstream O2s. I'll try to post the pictures tomorrow of where they are welded and get a video of how they sound if the weather if decent.

I got quoted $80 to get the cutouts welded in. It was easier than he thought it would be because it is literally 2 cuts and 2 welds. It took maybe 20 minutes from the time I drove up to to the time I left. He charged me $20. I left the shop with the cutouts closed, drove over to a friends garage, and we wired them up in a couple of hours. I'm not sure what a shop would charge for wiring them up. Let me know if you have any questions if you decide to do the wiring yourself.
    Yeah i wouldnt do the wiring myself, im bad with wires and electronics so i would have them do it all..I wonder if any exhaust shop will be able to do this or i should take it to a specialty shop....

SoSueMe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I went with 3inch Race Ready Performance.. absolutely love them...

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I have been really busy the last couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by perfect View Post
    I was quoted at $400 for my install (although, I talked them down to $100 but that was ONLY because I was spending $XXXX on a big cam install job at the same time).

I have a CEL but no idea if the cutouts are to blame or not...
    The $400 install seems on the high side. I would pay $100 so you did a good job talking them down! For an afternoon project though, it really isn't that bad to do it yourself. If you put the cutouts before the resonator you can run the wires up through the shift boot and run the switch on the lower side of the dash on the drivers side. I ran the power and ground under the passenger dash and wired it into a switched wire on the passenger side (should be pink). I haven't had any issues at all with the way mine are set up. I'm having problems getting pictures up, but as soon as I figure out how, I'll post them and hopefully that will help show what I'm talking about.

If you are running headers with no cats the CEL is probably P0420 and P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold on Bank 1&2) you can go to autozone or advanced and get them to pull the code for free just to be sure that is triggering the light. If those are the codes, you can get them tuned out if the light is bothering you. If you are still running cats the CEL shouldn't be related to the cutouts.

Quote Originally Posted by perfect View Post
    Hey boosted, do you notice that your low end torque suffers with the cutouts open? I think that we have ours in roughly the same position in the car and I notice (in the good ol' butt dyno) that I just don't get up and go as fast when the cutouts are open.
    I have noticed that the low end does seem to suffer some, but the versatility of the cutouts is worth it to me. I can always close them if I want to feel the extra little bit of torque, and open them up when I am wanting it to just make a ton of noise haha. The loss of torque definitely isn't a deal breaker IMO, but it is something anyone in the market for these cutouts should at least consider before throwing $400 at them. It would be interesting to get a dyno pull with them closed and then open to see how much of a real difference it actually makes. Its possible that with them open it just sounds meaner, and we expect it to throw us back in the seat a little bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangtas83 View Post
    Yeah i wouldnt do the wiring myself, im bad with wires and electronics so i would have them do it all..I wonder if any exhaust shop will be able to do this or i should take it to a specialty shop....
    The exhaust shop I went to said they wouldn't mess with the wiring, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. The worst they could say is no. I got lucky and had a friend help me that has been rebuilding vettes since he was a kid. His dad owns a corvette restoration business. He buys them wrecked, fixes them and sells them. He knows everything GM inside and out, so I never got a quote from a shop to tell you what kind of price to expect.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.