everything went great until the harmonic balancer...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, everything went great until the harmonic balancer... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Maggie snapped on like a charm, well almost because they ran out of LS2 directtions and sent LS6 instead. Not ...
    leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

everything went great until the harmonic balancer...

Maggie snapped on like a charm, well almost because they ran out of LS2 directtions and sent LS6 instead. Not such a big deal, just a matter of which tubing goes under the unit, which goes on top. Mechchanic told me "basically you can tell by how much they give you." New install directions alreaready been emailed. I will give an A- to Magnuson for customer service, they try their assess off to keep the consumer happy. A STRONG word of caution when dealing with Hendrix Engineering. Hendrix (or should I say Thomas at Hendrix) has the reputation for underselling EVERYONE else handling Magnuson supercharger kits. The reason he has this reputation is because it's COMPLETELY true! I purchased my MP 112 lock stock and barrel for $4900-NO ONE can touch that price! Go ahead and try, I dare ya, no I double dare ya! Problem is they leave out the hand held tuner unit that containts the custom tune for your CTS-V. Magnuson will sell the unit for $400, supposedly all ready to go for whatever it is we have done to out lovely Cadillac CTS'v. Apparently if you have an 04 ot 05, you must send the entire ECU in for a reflash, while 06 and 07 can be "maill ordered" back with the tuner. The other option would be to flat bed the V and send it to a nice reputable LS tuner and start from scratch. I'm looking at just sending it via flat bed and buying SCT3, which Cindy at Manuson assures me hold up to 4 different tunes
    So the OBX headers went on "flawlessley" according to Ling Pao Chung (not his real name). He did run over to the local Chvey dealy and replaced gaskets and bolts. We tied the stoxk OBX "resonators (fake cats)" directly into the stock 06 CTSV exhaust system. LOOKS superlative...haven't heard it run yet, nor have Mass or CT state police! That should be an interesting exchange of ideaas. This installer has chose to apply heat wrap tape to known vulnernable areas, such as starter and battery cables, brake lines, there was NO TOUCHING of the steering column, at all! He was actually able to poing out areas where GM had already insulated problems spots with an aluminized foil tape materieal.
    Now the problem spot (isnt't there always one?). Freaking Innovators West Harmonic Balancer. It's such a pure thing of beaty that I've left it on my kitchen table as a centerpiece for the last three weeks! Words can't describe it's beauty!! The drill holes are so close to the crank that they emit light! Anyway, problems putting it on. It arrives "keyed" but most folks prefer to just go ahead and drill two holes throught the piece and "'pin" it to the crankshaft. For some reason yet unknown to me, my wrench does not see to be able to do this. He became very upset last night and refused to discuss the matter anly more. I mean this is basically the last step until drive the sucker away! Anyone albe to descibribe this layer of frustration we have encountered, or suggest an alternative suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Re: everything went great until the harmonic balancer...

Did you get the IW crank pinning kit? The Magnuson one will not work. Lucky for me, the guy I bought my short block from keyed the crank so I didn't have to drill!!!

Yeah, that was the final solution. I just get nervous when I'm told "well that part's no good anymore!" I also purchased te Magnuson hand held tuning unit for $400. What I found out is if you DONT install their tune initially, your warranty id void. So anyone considering purchasing from Hendrix Engineering beware, because they DONT include the tuner "99% or all my sales are without tuners" Per Thomas at Hendrix. I was not told this upfront, it was actually Cindy Hernanadez 805-642-8833 EXT 264. If you want the info, go to the source! Hendrix Engineering does not work for Magnuson!

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Just tell them yes if they ask, they have no way to know and how would the tune hurt the blower? If you retune the car, it voids it anyway.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Maybe someone knows (I don't), but is it possible to limp the OEM tune over to a good tuner thereby using that $400 toward a dyno tune?

Of course, this doesn't address the Magnuson warranty issue, I realize.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Actually according to Magnuson your LS2 kit doesn't have warranty Because they don't/can't ship a tuner kit.

Yes fine to limp it to a tuner as long as you stay below boost.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    ... Yes fine to limp it to a tuner as long as you stay below boost.
    That's what I thought.

Heck, and you could still polish off a couple 3 Series Bimmers or Mustang GTs on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    Actually according to Magnuson your LS2 kit doesn't have warranty Because they don't/can't ship a tuner kit.

Yes fine to limp it to a tuner as long as you stay below boost.
    spoke to sales manager at Magnuson today "any kit leaving here that is 100% complete is covered by full warranty. If you dont buy the tuner, you dont get the warranty." Sorry, but I gotta go with what they are telling me. Even if the tuner is EMPTY, its still worht $300 for the 3 year/36000 mi waranty, I would think? I see them all day for $379 on the Bay. So, drive it around on the Maggie tune, if I lose just one street race, its off to the dyno we go!

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

If you bought the kit from Hendrix it should be a full and complete kit. I does not make sense for them to sell you a kit without something to tune it properly. I would definitely talk to Magnuson and say you ordered a FULL kit and expect the SCT tuner be included with your purchase, I would not accept anything less. this is something they should provide. When I first received my kit i did a full brush down of all the parts and determined i was missing the tower brace(LS6). I called Magnuson and told them i had not been sent the brace and they corrected that immediately. What would make you or them believe you purchased an incomplete kit?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.