Cradle bushings or G-Force axle?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Cradle bushings or G-Force axle? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Sorry the multitude of threads, but I have a few ?s before I take my car in for quite a ...
    a3ritter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Cradle bushings or G-Force axle?

Sorry the multitude of threads, but I have a few ?s before I take my car in for quite a bit of work. One area I am planning to improve is stress on the rear via cradle bushings or axle. I have been told the bushings will be good enough for the power I am planning to generate, cam/ headers/ full exhaust/ P&P TB/ CAI/ tune, and the axle would not be of much benefit. I am curious of your thoughts and which would be a better way to go. Thankx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Re: Cradle bushings or G-Force axle?

Axles.... definetly axles.... (i say this without using the bushings myself) but i have a feeling others will chime in with the same.

The axles just work so good.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

I'm sure most of the replies will be to get the axles. But I'll give you a Specter bushing owners point of view.

They work great on my Maggied car with the original 05 diff. I've done clutch dumps and have broken the tires loose simply by giving it too much gas. Minimal hop at worst, but usually it's smooth tire spin. I do get some hop in the rain though.
    I did get some whine out of my otherwise quiet diff. But they also tighten up the whole rear. The car handles better now. Especially on a bumpy road/highway.

Either mod will handle the power you'll make. In fact I don't think power makes any difference unless you get into serious power.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Do the bushings get rid of that annoying side-to-side sway feeling over certain surfaces? I can only assume that the cradle is moving around all over the place when I feel this.

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

axles - yes
    cradle bushings... = i removed mine as it amplified the whine of my brand new diff. once removed diff was silent. up to you, mild loss of what was left of my wheel hop after the axle or amplified diff whine. i chose the quiter diff. dunno why as i have kooks headers, borla exhaust and cutouts.
    i reccommed hotchkis sway bars. they keep the car flat in turns.

I'm talking about more of a waddle feeling. Seems to be coming from the rear and I always pictured the cradle moving around, causing it. I was just wondering if someone added bushings and noticed this feeling was gone. Though this isn't the thread for this...but people with bushings will theoretically be weighing in.

kentuckyplow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS, 2005 CTS-V

"I'm talking about more of a waddle feeling."

I know that exact feeling you're talking about and was wondering what the cause was myself. And more important, the cure.
    Hopefully someone can educate us.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

I had the same feeling with 275/40 x 18 tires on oem rims. After checking the torque of every bolt in rear suspension I put 245/45 x 18 on rears and the waddle went away. Check to see that your coil springs are properly positioned in their mounts. Next came the SW bushings and then the axles, then the BMR Trailing arms and toe rods. Now the play is concentrated at the trailing arm lower bushing and there is way too much movement. Getting rid of all the play will eliminate wheel hop. There will always be stress on the OEM diff due to the way it's mounted in the cradle. Look at the V2 diff mounting points.

IMHO this car needs delrin bushing at all suspension joints front and rear if you want to fully utilize the handling capabilities of the V. If your goal is a daily driver, replace the OEM clutch/flywheel with the LS7 kit from Luke, get a good tune and enjoy, but don't dump the clutch! Even with all the soft rubber bushings, these cars handle pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    I'm talking about more of a waddle feeling. Seems to be coming from the rear and I always pictured the cradle moving around, causing it. I was just wondering if someone added bushings and noticed this feeling was gone. Though this isn't the thread for this...but people with bushings will theoretically be weighing in.

It does handle great! In fact, in a corner, I never notice anything that feels odd. It's mainly going straight over certain surfaces.
    Also I have stock size tires.

I think I was hoping that the bushings would get rid of that feeling, plus reduce wheel hop. I guess I could find the time this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    It does handle great! In fact, in a corner, I never notice anything that feels odd. It's mainly going straight over certain surfaces.
    Also I have stock size tires.

I think I was hoping that the bushings would get rid of that feeling, plus reduce wheel hop. I guess I could find the time this summer.
    At first I thought you were talking about how the rear moves around in turns. The bushings do eliminate that. But your probably talking about tracking in groves. Like if a lot of trucks use a road and it develops a grove. You can make it better by taking some toe out of the front. But then your car wont feel so precise. I tried it and decided I'd rather live with the tracking. To be honest, I don't remember if the bushings helped with this or not. Either I'm used to it, or something made it better. But it really doesn't bother me anymore.

I don't think it's tramline, but the rear moving around. Trust me, my Caprice on 255/50-17s tramlines way worse than these cars do.

If the rear is moving around, the bushings will help.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...eo-inside.html

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

My cradle bushings make the diff very noticeably louder and I'm planning to get rid of them when I get around to it. Axle stops the wheel hop 90%, bushings might be a contributer too but I'm not really convinced of their value. Whoever told you that the bushings will be able to "handle the power" and axles won't be of much use doesn't know what they're talking about quite frankly. Stock power is way more than enough to cause severe wheel hop.

a3ritter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Well again, what I was told was that the bushings would be enough to handle the wheel hop, essentially making the axles overkill and unnecessary.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I would recommend doing a gforce passenger side axle first and go from there. It will make the biggest difference by far and is inexpensive. If you are still getting hop you could try either doing the driver side axle as well and/or do the bushings. As mentioned there can be a big trade off with the bushings but not with the axles. For me and some others it is a constant annoyance in exchange for possibly eliminating a rare annoyance. Do you already have diff whine?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.