cuttouts and cel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, cuttouts and cel in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just had my e cuttouts installed at ecs in nj. They installed them right near the o2 sensors, since ...
    italianant02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-v

cuttouts and cel

I just had my e cuttouts installed at ecs in nj. They installed them right near the o2 sensors, since i am running no cats up front there was room. When i got it that night there were no lights everything was good. I finnaly starting opening them up and running and the check engine light cam on. My car is not inspected so i have to get rid of it to pass, but they keep coming back on. Is this always going to happen when i open them? i Havnt had a chance to call them yet i was just trying to get some quick info from you guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

Re: cuttouts and cel

I have cutouts (stainless works - DMH low profile) and headers with no cats. I have mine in the same position and I ALWAYS have a CEL.

Unfortunately, my tuner can't seem to get rid of it and I'm choosing to live with it and will deal with it if I ever sell the car (no CEL check here in Kansas during the inspection, fortunately).

Good luck and please let me know if you ever find a solution!

carfreak06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

How far away from the cutouts are your o2 sensors? I remember reading somewhere that running with an open exhaust near the o2's causes air to creep into the opening at idle and it will throw an oddball signal from your o2's. But if it was doing that, I would figure it would cause an sparratic idle due to wrong air to fuel ratios caused by the extra air hittin the o2's... just food for thought

they are pretty close but idle is fine. I have herd of putting a spacer in the o2 sensors just like a spacer for a spark plug. i herd something with the air flow it doesn't set the cel off. My buddy does it all the time for trucks with bad cats to pass inspection.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

The little spacer trick is for post cat sensors. You want the pre cat sensors in the exhaust stream for the most accurate data. The problem is the O2 sensor is too close to the cutout. Move the cutout farther back and you shouldn't have any CEL issues. I cant tell you how far though, thats the only problem. I would think anything over 1 1/2 - 2' should prevent the false readings.

well unfortunately i just had my cuttouts welded in to my stainless steel exhuast so there not moving anytime soon but thanks for the info

perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

Yeah, lol, I just had my cutouts welded into place so I'm not expecting to move my cutouts anytime soon either.

Italianant02...maybe it's time to buy a cheap code reader/clearer and just clear the code right before your inspection...

My buddy works at a shop and he tried getting it threw inspection but he says that the monitors need to set before it goes threw you can't just clear and go. I don't know if it because of some jersey law or w.e but it sucks haha

catch2otwo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS_V

Would it help if you added a length of pipe after the cutout? Maybe adding a little bit of backpressure will keep some more exhaust gas in the pipe near the o2.

that maybe an option there are 4 bolt with a peice you can disconect and weld a pipe to

Cadispeedster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V, 2003.7 Mazdaspeed Protege, 08 Honda CBR1000RR

Try a spark plug non Fouler... think that's similar to that "spacer" thing mentioned... Just google spark plug non fouler trick. I know tuner guys do it all the time with there turbo 4 bangers... I have one on my 2nd O2 bung running no cat on my speed protege... No CEL... If anything, any auto zone or discount car place will let you use a CEL reader if ya don't have one. They'll just as for an I.D. or come out and do it for you. Should be able to clear the code also.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    What code are you throwing? I'm guessing the ones for the second O2s that are post catalyst in the stock exhaust. That would be the logical ones that are throwing codes... I don't think I could get close enough to the front O2 sensors to throw a code with a cutout if I tried.

Tell your tuner to turn off your P0420&p0430 codes for your post cat O2 sensors. There are a few ways to do depending on what software I suppose. With HP tuners you go into engine-> diagnostics I think and there should be a huge list of all the CEL codes. Turn it to off completely or turn it to not set the light on the dash even if the conditions are tripped. ANY tuner should be able to do that.

I throw codes with my headers, both of those codes. I haven't turned em off yet but I also haven't tuned my car yet, too busy with a new baby and work and stuff. In my old car turbo 4 banger I had not cats and just turned off all the cat codes... No issues.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Is your car tuned for the cat delete, with the codes removed? I think you need to check and see what the codes are. Does it only do it with cutouts open? Or with them closed too?

Specific codes would help.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by italianant02 View Post
    My buddy works at a shop and he tried getting it threw inspection but he says that the monitors need to set before it goes threw you can't just clear and go. I don't know if it because of some jersey law or w.e but it sucks haha
    It's like that here in Cali also. They can tell if you've recently cleared the CEL.
    Not sure but would O2 sensor eliminators work to stop it?

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

They can tell if you've recently cleared CEL because it resets the emissions, cat, and o2 systems. Then you have to do a full drive cycle before it warms all the systems out of open loop.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.