Tuners: How are you getting Air / Fuel ratios when tuning, and where is it mounted?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Tuners: How are you getting Air / Fuel ratios when tuning, and where is it mounted? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Tuners, I have a HP Tuners, and a good baseline and modified tune (Thanks PGA,) but my question is: What ...
    550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Tuners: How are you getting Air / Fuel ratios when tuning, and where is it mounted?

Tuners,

I have a HP Tuners, and a good baseline and modified tune (Thanks PGA,) but my question is: What Air / Fuel ratio kit are you using, and where did you mount the display? I want to get started on tuning, but cant seem to find any info on this. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Re: Tuners: How are you getting Air / Fuel ratios when tuning, and where is it mounte

Google "Wideband for HP Tuners" and you will get about 10,000 results...most of them on LS1 Tech. Lots of threads on what wideband is the best/easiest to install and log with, many with step by step instructions on how to integrate into HP Tuners through the EIO so you do not need the gauge.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Tuners: How are you getting Air / Fuel ratios when tuning, and where is it mounte

Usually there is another "bung hole" that a tuner uses for the sensor and it is pre cat.

Ahh I see. So use the HP tuners to display the A/F Ratio. I think I need to upgrade to their "Pro series" to do that. Thanks for the info.

DMM

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    Ahh I see. So use the HP tuners to display the A/F Ratio. I think I need to upgrade to their "Pro series" to do that. Thanks for the info.
    Well, not really...there are a bunch of threads where guys were using different sensor inputs (like EGR and A/C sensor) to log the wideband, and it works very well. Gotta hand it to them, where there is a will there is a way.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I use the LM-2 and connect it ot my EFI kit. Now idle i try and get it to 14.6-7 and whist runnin under partial throttle you should have 14.6-7 at 100KPA and 16 at 30 or less KPA.

If you are tunin a 04-05 its easy, but if you are tackling a 06+ make sure you know what you are doing...

On the old style PCM leave the VE alone and play with the PE and Injector Flow chart. And if needed slowly alter the MAF. First tackle the Injector flow chart, but remember to remove the PE so there is no interference from it...Then once you get 14.6-7 in the highs and 16 in the lows with 14.6 at idle then you re-activate the PE and get the tune to be 13.0 at WOT from 3000/3500 to redline. Now this is where expereince comes into play, you may have to play with the MAF, but only as a last resort...LEAVE THE TIMIN ALONE, Thats the one thing GM did right on our cars...

If you are tuning a NA then you can install the o2 post cats, if its FI than pre cats.

Have fun tunin, and do one change at a time, you dont wanna be chasin your tail tryin to get the tune right...

Wow. Looks like Im selling my HP Tuners and taking the car to jessie. I have no clue what any of that means.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Tuners,

I have a HP Tuners, and a good baseline and modified tune (Thanks PGA,) but my question is: What Air / Fuel ratio kit are you using, and where did you mount the display? I want to get started on tuning, but cant seem to find any info on this. Thanks!
    I have an AEM UEGO with a bung in my header on the opposite side of the O2 sensor. Comes with a display. Display is useless for tuning though. You need the wiring to hook it up to your EFI or HPT analogue input so you can log the data. AEM have an extra wire for that and there's a company that sells the rj11 cable for $20 (pre-made). HPtuners uses some sort of coax cable I recall.

DMM

Gotta admit, it is pretty intimidating. Here are a few places you can read up and get a better idea of things:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742

http://www.mediafire.com/?amd2yi94msg (This is a download)

http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuninghelpfiles.php

Plenty of books on this also. If this is the only one you are doing, might be best to pay for a tune.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Ignore post #6. Don't know where he got that info. Once you start reading the tuning forums, you'll find that the injector settings (if you didn't change injector size) is the last thing you touch.

I use the LC-1 and hook it up to my interceptor gauge. Some people don't like it, but one thing I like about it is that you can hook it up to your laptop (comes with software) and check the actual AFR. This is key with the CTS-Vs horrible ground offset.
    I turned off my rear O2s and put the wideband in the drivers side bung, behind the cat. It's recommended that you install the wideband before the cat, but IMHO, it's not that far off behind the cat.

It's a steep learning curve. But if you like messing with your car, it's a lot of fun. Just go on the tuning forums and read, read, read!

AGAIN forget post 6. On a boosted car you shoot for about 11.5 AFR at WOT. And you NEVER turn off PE.

Tony
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Wow. Looks like Im selling my HP Tuners and taking the car to jessie. I have no clue what any of that means.
    If you don't have a TON of time to learn then take your own advice. Also don't listen to Naf's post about not messing with the VE table and raping the PE to get your AFR in line....lol terrible advice!

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    I use the LM-2 and connect it ot my EFI kit. Now idle i try and get it to 14.6-7 and whist runnin under partial throttle you should have 14.6-7 at 100KPA and 16 at 30 or less KPA.

If you are tunin a 04-05 its easy, but if you are tackling a 06+ make sure you know what you are doing...

On the old style PCM leave the VE alone and play with the PE and Injector Flow chart. And if needed slowly alter the MAF. First tackle the Injector flow chart, but remember to remove the PE so there is no interference from it...Then once you get 14.6-7 in the highs and 16 in the lows with 14.6 at idle then you re-activate the PE and get the tune to be 13.0 at WOT from 3000/3500 to redline. Now this is where expereince comes into play, you may have to play with the MAF, but only as a last resort...LEAVE THE TIMIN ALONE, Thats the one thing GM did right on our cars...

If you are tuning a NA then you can install the o2 post cats, if its FI than pre cats.

Have fun tunin, and do one change at a time, you dont wanna be chasin your tail tryin to get the tune right...
    As others have said 13 at WOT on a stock boosted motor?

Anyway, do the opposite of what he said.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.