Newbie - Week #1 Modding Results
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Newbie - Week #1 Modding Results in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; No pictures or dyno numbers yet, but I did want to share regarding my weekend's worth of work on my ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Newbie - Week #1 Modding Results

No pictures or dyno numbers yet, but I did want to share regarding my weekend's worth of work on my 2006 CTS-V. I think I accomplished quite a lot:

Lesson Learned #1 (tools): You can NEVER have enough tools (especially box wrenches of various sizes and lengths). Worst thing ever is realizing that you're missing a tool and having to undo your work to head over to the store. The lack of a long 7/8" box wrench stopped me from installing my headers today (couldn't apply enough torque to remove my O2 sensors). Also, get heavy-duty Nitrile gloves. Not only will they keep you from getting burned, they do an excellent job of keeping you from getting cut when a wrench slips.

Lesson Learned #2 (Exhaust Removal): when removing the rubber brackets from your exhaust, the easiest two to get off are the ones located on the outside edge of your tailpipes. Apply a thin lube (Liquid Wrench or WD-40), get on your back, and man-handle that thing with one hand while simultaneously lifting the muffler up and toward the mount with the other hand. Regardless of how you manage it, it's hard work--those rubber mounts are really tough.

Lesson Learned #3 (Muffler Gutting): First off, you have to remove the exhaust from the car to do this. There's is no fiberglass in the bottom of the muffler. A 3/4" hole in the top/center of the muffler is sufficient to pull it all out. I have videos to show the difference in sound before and after (will post separately, once I finish with the car). Short version: no discernible difference in volume. Car starts up a little more smoothly, however, and revs a little bit quicker. Alone, this modification is not worth the time--it's part of a system that includes your catalytic converters, manifold, and CAI. Do 'em all, or don't bother.

Lesson Learned #4 (Differential Fluid): First off, if you haven't changed this fluid before, DO IT. I have 15,000 miles on my (babied) 2006 CTS-V, and this fluid was black. I filled/flushed with 2 quarts of Royal Purple Max-Gear. I normally corner like a banshee, and during turns, it feels like I just lost 200 pounds off the rear end of the car. Bonus: no more of that echoing *ka-chunk-ka-ka-ka" when disengaging the clutch at high RPM, rev-matching is easier (feels like I just changed the engine oil), and the car is coasting significantly better.

Oh, and by the way, if you haven't done it yet, taking that fill bolt off is a $#@%ing [censored]. If it hasn't been broken free, you'll almost certainly need to remove the exhaust to give yourself enough room to put sufficient torque on it. I had to lay on my back, jam my feet in the jacks, and pull with both hands to free it.

Lesson Learned #5 (Laser/Radar Detector Hard-wire): I'm kind of handicapped here by being an electrical engineer, but for anyone else out there who also knows the red/black convention: when it comes to Beltronics products, green is +12V and red is ground. Seriously, wtf guys?

Lesson Learned #6 (CG Lock): for some unknown reason, Cadillac opted not to include a locking seatbelt buckle for the driver (although they're in every other seat). The CG lock solves this problem, and it holds much better than GM's design. Driving experience is greatly improved with this thing--best $50 investment on this car yet. I will be talking to the person who does the V-series brake caliper decals to create a custom decal for the CG Lock if anyone else wants in.

---------

With that, I'm out (for now). I'm tired and I smell like Liquid Wrench, Royal Purple, mushed worms (it rained yesterday), and sweat.

A sample of the upgrades to come in the following 3 weeks:

- LS7 clutch / 20 lb steel flywheel
    - Wrapped OBX headers
    - CAI
    - Katech short throw shifter + UUC bushings (if Luke would only hurry up)
    - Ground Control spring kit + MM spacers
    - V2 shifter + custom shift boot
    - Hawk HP+ brake pads and repainted calipers with new silver "V" decals
    - Embroidered headrests (let me know if you want in)
    - Complete LED light overhaul (replace all incandescents)
    - EL wire mood lighting
    - Rear radar detector hard wire

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Re: Newbie - Week #1 Modding Results

Congrats! Probably feels like a new car! BTW - welcome to hell...mod hell

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Careful. Mods are like crack. Tough to stop once you start.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    ... for anyone else out there who also knows the red/black convention: when it comes to Beltronics products, green is +12V and red is ground. Seriously, wtf guys? ...
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

PISNUOFF Guest

The rubber exhaust mounts come off easily with lube and a pry bar. Installation is easier if you put the mounts on the exhaust first, then on the fixed posts (with the exception of the forward most one on each side, unless you remove the locking washer first).

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

no motormounts? you really should check them out and replace them now when the headers are out asaposed to down the road..

-EL wire mood lighting
    whaaaa?

also--

perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

Fellow EE here as well and was a bit peeved at the wiring convention of my hardwired V1.

And +1 to "you can never have enough tools".

I'm sorry, but--as I went to review your responses I saw what I originally wrote, albeit totally out of context.

Apply a thin lube (Liquid Wrench or WD-40), get on your back, and man-handle that thing with one hand . . .
    Anyway, I will be taking pictures (especially after adding the EL wire), but I want to wait until I get closer to completion.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    no motormounts? you really should check them out and replace them now when the headers are out asaposed to down the road..

whaaaa?

also--
    +1 on the motor mounts, and go aftermarket vice OE so that you do not have to do them again.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Kudos to the OP for adding value instead of only lurking!

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Careful. Mods are like crack. Tough to stop once you start.

Randy, That joke isn't funny if you live in a city full of gun toting crackheads..........

If you're really bored, check these before / after gutting exhaust videos. Don't listen for a difference in volume or timbre--there isn't one. Instead, wait for the third rev (4,000 RPM), and note how the engine has to struggle less to breach the 3,000 RPM barrier.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...CIMG0016-1.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=CIMG0017.mp4

Conclusion: less backpressure = more linear throttle response.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

I think there's definitely a sound difference after gutting the mufflers. It sounds the same when cruising, but has more growl when accelerating. It's not particularly loud, but certainly sounds more like a V8 than it did originally. I did not notice any difference in driveability or performance.

It was easy enough to do, I'd certainly do it again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.