Where to buy a 165* T-Stat
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Where to buy a 165* T-Stat in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I installed a new 165* T-stat when did my cam last week and its crap...my temps vary widely from 160* ...
    DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Where to buy a 165* T-Stat

I installed a new 165* T-stat when did my cam last week and its crap...my temps vary widely from 160* to 192* while driving constant highway speeds with 55* ambient temps.

I am tired of buying junk crap or not getting what I paid for...does anyone know where I can get a decent T-stat? Or, should I just put the OE one back in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Re: Where to buy a 165* T-Stat

I was at Auto Zone chain today looking for a 160-guy thought I was crazy, kept repeating "186 only one availalble for that motor." Finally told me "go to Cadillac dealer! I was going to check Summit...

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    I installed a new 165* T-stat when did my cam last week and its crap...my temps vary widely from 160* to 192* while driving constant highway speeds with 55* ambient temps.

I am tired of buying junk crap or not getting what I paid for...does anyone know where I can get a decent T-stat? Or, should I just put the OE one back in?
    There may be nothing wrong with the 165 degree thermostat. A lower temperature thermostat will not, in and of itself, lower the temperature at which your engine operates unless you have the cooling capacity to maintain the lower temperature. Our cars do not have excess cooling capacity and lower temperature thermostats only lower the operating temperature: before the car warms up; in cold weather; at high speeds; with altered fan settings; or with the addition of cooling capacity.

I would return to the OEM thermostat because it is much easier to tune an engine that runs at consistent temperatures.

(I also believe that these engines make more horsepower at higher temperatures, but that is another subject.)

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

I really never understood, despite the dozens of posts over the years, the measurable benefit of a 160 stat.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Did you reprogram the fans for the new stat?

If you did it would stay at or around 180F dropping to 160 whilst driving...Have a 160 in both my cars and in my caddy it stays around 82c all the time and in my tahoe i only drop to 82-83 and while i idle it climbs to 87-88 because the fans are not programmed...

What brand did you get for a Stat? I get either Hypertech or LPE

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

160 stat: any Corvette tuner shop should have on on the shelf
    or try Luke, he has all the parts you want:

Luke Butler
    Lindsay Cadillac | 1525 Kenwood Ave | Alexandria, VA 22302 |
    Direct: (703) 647-8670 | Main: (703) 998-6600 | Fax: (703) 671-4517
    Visit our website www.lindsaycadillac.com

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Thanks guys, will try those options. The fans have already been reset for the new temps. The one I got is a Mr. Gasket piece from Jeggs...all I can say is never again. Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.