Advice on meth kits
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Advice on meth kits in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Got the Maggie, Innovators West harmonic balancer, full Hendrix axle/CV upgrade, 1 7/8 headers are in the mail. I'm comtemplating ...
    leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Advice on meth kits

Got the Maggie, Innovators West harmonic balancer, full Hendrix axle/CV upgrade, 1 7/8 headers are in the mail. I'm comtemplating buying a meth kit while I'm waiting. Anyone running one with a set up like mine? Is it worth it? I will NOT be racing this car, just edgy street/highway driving for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Re: Advice on meth kits

A very big reason that people use meth kit's out here in california is because our gas is terrible. If youve got the money for it, why not? And now that you have all that power you need some FG2's for ur suspension : ).

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm thinking Killer Chiller myself, won't bump up the octane but drops intake temps around 50*.

will the fg2s lower the car enough to cause crushed header syndrome? Someone was trying to sell me their "slightly damaged" Kooks due to Vtoolow. I think Mass gas is just as bad-actually began this build as an E-85 conversion. Believe it or not I have a full time E85 station in this tiny little town way out in Western Mass. I think meth would do the same thing, basically. Which kits ones are the "good ones?" One installer told me "if you bring me a Snow product I will refuse to install it." Guess he's not fonda Snow?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy compton View Post
    I'm thinking Killer Chiller myself, won't bump up the octane but drops intake temps around 50*.
    I've been told the meth DOES increase octane during boost, 108 comes to mind...

You misunderstood, I meant "killer chiller" won't bump up the octane like a meth kit.

what's killer chiller? http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html claims up to 116 octane with meth!

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Coolingmist.com I used them on my NA engine, and to be honet they are COMPLETELY controllable. I can set it to flow X at Y temp and Z RPM...and i can also see how much flow is going, either 50% or 100%...

LASTLY they are the best bang for buck. Got a complete kit for nothing compared to the crappy snow kit....

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

No offense, but I don't get all the buildup. E85, meth, these are so you can run more boost. But you are using an MP112. It can only move so much air efficiently.

Why not get the car put together first, and go from there?

just dreamin, I guess. I've never done ANY of this stuff, caught the disease from these forums! I wanted a bigger blower, but....just too much time and money because no one makes an easy one for this car. So, what are the alternatives? But you're correct-Maggie is sitting in the box, headers are in the mail, etc., etc. It's all free entertainment until the credit card invoices show up! Went the same route with Italian motorcycles 10 years ago, this is just the latest version.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by leosul@verizon.net View Post
    So, what are the alternatives?
    I'm not the expert by far. But I just can't imagine a 112 moving a ton of air for a 6.0L engine that revs to 6,500+. At least not and stay in its efficiency range.

So instead of trying to build boost, and then using E85, meth, etc to control detonation, why not build a motor that can breathe better? Headers seem like a smart move, but how about getting your heads cleaned up while the intake and exhaust manifolds are off anyway? Maybe a blower cam? These things will get the engine to move more air, so the maggie can stay closer to its efficiency range. You are planning on overdriving it, so perhaps this will get it moving air without stacking up lots of boost/resistance, thus keeping the MP112 a little further away from the ragged edge?

Or instead of spraying meth, spray N2O? I wonder how much power a stock LS2 can handle, though, but maybe a lot?

But hell, I don't know. What exactly is your end goal in terms of power?

Don't know if you've seen this:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the green lines relate to the RPM of the blower? That would make sense, as it's a positive displacement blower, and air moved will be fairly linearly related to blower speed. Anyway, you can see you can't just speed the thing up arbitrarily and still maintain efficiency.

Compare that to a Gen VI 1900. Notice the efficiency blobs are stretched out more horizontally, so you can vary the blower speed to more finely match the engine size you are putting it on, without getting out of the higher efficiency areas.

Meth kits are not just benificial for adding more boost it also helps with heat soak, problematic with a 112. Personally I've got a 3.3L whipple waiting to go in. While My Iat Temps aren't going to be a problem with a whipple, I still want to go with a Killer Chiller for when I do push it. I have major plans for my build and a KC or even meth kit if I choose instead, will fit right in.
    If I had a maggie I'd probably still look into something to keep IATs down regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    I'm not the expert by far. But I just can't imagine a 112 moving a ton of air for a 6.0L engine that revs to 6,500+. At least not and stay in its efficiency range.

So instead of trying to build boost, and then using E85, meth, etc to control detonation, why not build a motor that can breathe better? Headers seem like a smart move, but how about getting your heads cleaned up while the intake and exhaust manifolds are off anyway? Maybe a blower cam? These things will get the engine to move more air, so the maggie can stay closer to its efficiency range. You are planning on overdriving it, so perhaps this will get it moving air without stacking up lots of boost/resistance, thus keeping the MP112 a little further away from the ragged edge?

Or instead of spraying meth, spray N2O? I wonder how much power a stock LS2 can handle, though, but maybe a lot?

But hell, I don't know. What exactly is your end goal in terms of power?

Don't know if you've seen this:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the green lines relate to the RPM of the blower? That would make sense, as it's a positive displacement blower, and air moved will be fairly linearly related to blower speed. Anyway, you can see you can't just speed the thing up arbitrarily and still maintain efficiency.

Compare that to a Gen VI 1900. Notice the efficiency blobs are stretched out more horizontally, so you can vary the blower speed to more finely match the engine size you are putting it on, without getting out of the higher efficiency areas.

NICE graphs! Perfect color. I would also assume the blower is the only thing going that fast. Wanted the 1900 more than anything. REALLY shoulda just bought an 09, but the deal on the 06 for with 3,200 mi for 26 grand was just too tempting. NOW I'm getting the education retrograde. Blower cam has been suggested by another (Behe performance in Maryland, Lindsay's go-to speed shop). Maggie/headers, got talked into the harmonic balacer by Hendrix while buying the supercharger. Also ended up buying the upgraded axles with the CVs, which is probably still a good idea-I like 1/4 mile stile launching, which this car historically has a problem with. Blower cam instead of meth kit? Lingenfelter's version was suggested. Someone on the LS1 forum melted electical components AGAIN today by using unwrapped/uncoated headers. I prefer coated, but have to wait week-10 days around here in New England. So maybe while waiting for header coating I should buy a blower cam? Any other suggestions beside Lingenfelter? Think they get around $500 for their version. Thanks for the graphics-finished my master's last year and haven't studied those kind of pictures since! Oh, power goal would be to get as far over 500 RWHP as possible, seems like a nice round number to beat. I have no experience with nitrous (at least in engines, anyway), but my likely stereotypical view is it's something one uses to win the drag race at the end. What kind of work should I do on the heads, also?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.