Cadillac Owners Forum banner

LS9 Clutch Carnage

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  PISNUOFF 
G
#1 ·
Broke the pressure plate last Tuesday night. One of the fingers broke and took out the starter housing and blew a couple holes in the bell housing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn man. Were you having a vibration problem at 1800 - 2300 and then gone just due to the increased RPM? I put a kit in and am having the vib problem. I had it balanced yesterday and am waiting for the reinstall, but I won't be getting this back till tomorrow. The way mine was vibrating, seemed like it would cause a failure. I had both my clutch and flywheel balanced and was told that both were way out of neutral balnance. Just hoping neutral balance is correct as every vendor / manufactorer has said they were but the service manual is different.

Also, did you use new GM bolts or ARP?

G
#3 ·
That's an LS9 pressure plate that failed in 4th gear at 5500 rpm. It went 'bang' and I couldn't disengage the clutch anymore. I had to shift with the clutch the rest of the way home.

#4 ·
Damn. That sucks. I bet that bang scared the sh*t out of you.

#5 ·
Yeah ouch. Sucks Brian, why do you figure it failed? Just a normal defect within tolerance and you got "unlucky" or something wrong completely?

#10 ·
the fatty strikes again.. Katech giving you any hassle about getting it warrantied for a defect?

G
#11 ·
I didn't buy it from Katech. I Only bought the flywheel from them. I deal with Luke for all my stock GM parts. I'm sure there isn't going to be a problem getting the issue taken care of.

#12 ·
That's a serious clutch you just shredded. Here's to hoping it's a defect :cheers:

G
#13 ·
I am pretty sure it was a defective strap, although the other ones seem to have some discoloration from heat. At least after 3000 miles, the mating surfaces still look perfect.

Here is the discoloration.

#16 ·
Was it a finger or a strap that broke?
If a strap broke, then they must not be able to handle the torque.
With factory parts you almost never know if you got a bad manufactirung lot.
I was about to switch to this clutch, so I appreciate your post about what happened.
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.