choices on a good set of heads that dont cost me a arm and a leg?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, choices on a good set of heads that dont cost me a arm and a leg? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ive got the mod bug and would like to know what heads are the best for are cars? Ive been ...
    SRTTOCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

choices on a good set of heads that dont cost me a arm and a leg?

Ive got the mod bug and would like to know what heads are the best for are cars? Ive been looking at Texas speed and hear that the 5.3 heads are pretty good. but on the other hand I hear that LS6 heads with a good port job is can be just as good and better? can someone give some input. I have a full B&B exhaust, comp cam 224/230 581/588 114 LSA and tune and only make 383hp and 363trq. I'm wanting 400+... suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: choices on a good set of heads that dont cost me a arm and a leg?

I use the Texas Speed heads on my V.

They work, but not cheap.

SRTTOCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Which ones?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The lowest cost option is to have your stock heads reworked. I would call Mike Schmidt at Total Engine Airflow. Advanced Induction also does great work on the GM 243 castings. (About $1,100)

Another mid-range option is a set Trick Flow 220 as cast heads at about $1,700.

Finally, if you've got the coin I would look at Trick Flow 215s (about $2,500).

The Trick Flow heads, and most aftermarket heads for that matter, come off the shelf with bronze valve guides which require aftermarket roller rockers to prevent premature guide wear. However, if you get your aftermarket heads from a head assembler, such as Total Engine Airflow, you can specify powdered metal valve guides that can be used with your stock rockers. (I would recommend the Harland Sharp or Comp Cam trunion upgrade for the stock rockers.)

(I have the Trick Flow 215s with a milder cam than yours, with a stock exhaust system other than RT cats and I am making 407 rwhp / 391 rwtq on a Mustang dyno.)

PISNUOFF Guest

Patriot Performance sells a stage 2.5 stock casting set for $1250. You can always sell your used stock 243's for at least $400 and recoup some of your money. With regards to the bronze guides, they tend to show side wear when used with really high lift cams and stock rocker arms because there is a slight side load put on the top of the valve stem. A roller tip eliminates this load. I used stock rockers with a cam that has a slightly higher lift than your's and they didn't wear out and leak in the 50,000 hard miles I put on that motor. I guess it depends on your definition of premature. I now have a set of Texas Speed LS3 heads that are P&P (Precision Racecraft Components) and they come with the stock guides. I'd give them a call or get a set of the Patriots. The trunion upgrade is a good idea and only $150.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SRTTOCTSV View Post
    Which ones?
    PRC stage 2.5 LS6 heads will come with stainless steel 2.02"/1.57" valves.

jeffthenail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 TG V1

I recommend a nice pair of CNC ported LS3 heads and change to the LS3 Intake Manifold. Not quite as financially respectful but if you're serious, dump the Cathedral ports.

CI-V-IL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jeffthenail View Post
    I recommend a nice pair of CNC ported LS3 heads and change to the LS3 Intake Manifold. Not quite as financially respectful but if you're serious, dump the Cathedral ports.
    LS3 heads/valves require at least a 4" bore. Assuming he has an LS6, since he mentioned ls6 heads above, his only route for LS3 heads that I am aware of would be the mast heads:

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...sembled&id=360

And they definitely arent cheap!

bjohnso0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS V

PRC is the best bang for the buck and they have the absolute best customer service I have found at any speed shop ever. I went out there last September to pick up my rotating assembly and they are some nice folks to deal with. I also have stage 2.5 LS6 heads.
    The stage 1 LS6 heads would be an option. They get the same P&P as the 2.5 and 3.0 heads but have stock valves in them. They still flow some pretty impressive numbers even with stock valves. Here is a link.....
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=649&catid=40

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

My shop recommends Texas Speed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.