Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'll be adding a cam shortly and would like to venture into tuning the car myself. I'm looking at running ...
  1. #1
    04SilverV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    70

    Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    I'll be adding a cam shortly and would like to venture into tuning the car myself. I'm looking at running the vrx-4 cam.

    I'm unsure about which tuning software is better and most user friendly between:

    HP-Tuning
    EFI Live

    Thanks in advance.

    John

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    ichpen's Avatar
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    They're both pretty much on par with each other. Probably down to cost i.e. which you can get cheaper and how many vehicle licenses they come with.

    I use EFI but have heard good things on HPT. My decision was based on a good deal I got for it.

    HPT probably has a bigger user base out of the 2. Also important point if and when you do visit your local tuner, get the one that he has.

    I'm hoping you have a wideband setup or access to one because otherwise

  4. #3
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    They're both pretty much on par with each other. Probably down to cost i.e. which you can get cheaper and how many vehicle licenses they come with.

    I use EFI but have heard good things on HPT. My decision was based on a good deal I got for it.

    HPT probably has a bigger user base out of the 2. Also important point if and when you do visit your local tuner, get the one that he has.

    I'm hoping you have a wideband setup or access to one because otherwise
    ichpen about summed it up. I use HP Tuners.

  5. #4
    Twitch's Avatar
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,989

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    HPTuners forum helped me out BIG TIME! Don't know about EFIlive. But if one is clearly better, it would be the deal breaker for me.

  6. #5
    ronr's Avatar
    ronr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fenton, Michigan
    Posts
    856

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    ichpen about summed it up. I use HP Tuners.
    Agreed. I use EFILive
    '04 Platinum, Maggie, Corsa cat back, StealthV tune, UUC short throw shifter, Autovation Pedals, Lingenfelter CAI, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, UUC braided brake lines, Lingenfelter LS9 clutch, Level V RPM Transmission, Creative Steel engine & trans mounts, LSA block with forged bottom end, RHS heads, Comp valve train, ATI damper, Kooks

  7. #6
    Naf's Avatar
    Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    I have used both...

    EFI goes more indepth and has the option to properly turn off or on certain options, but the HPTuner is so user friendly...

    If you want to squeeze every drop out go EFI, if you want a fast easy tune, HPT...

    Price is identical, so thats not a factor, but i went efi only cause of the USB option instead of the Serial cable found on the HPT a few yrs ago...

  8. #7
    ichpen's Avatar
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    whatever you decide get a wideband (preferrably installed permanently in your header so you don't have to rely on a dyno). Tuning is essentially useless without it unless all you want to do is disable lights and CELs. You can even dump it in place of a post-cat O2 sensor (making sure you disable the rear o2s) and call it a day.

  9. #8
    04SilverV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    70

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Thanks guys, I agree the wideband is a must. I've tuned several cars in the past using AEM standalone, SCT etc.... and no matter what the wideband the key.

    Naf, you said EFI goes more in depth... and let's you turn certain things on and off. Can you give me some examples.

    My altimate goal is to get the car running at 95-98% of it's potential, I don't need to squeeze out every drop of power. It's my DD. So far it has a CAI, and full exhaust running on the stock tune.

    John

  10. #9
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by 04SilverV View Post
    Thanks guys, I agree the wideband is a must. I've tuned several cars in the past using AEM standalone, SCT etc.... and no matter what the wideband the key.

    Naf, you said EFI goes more in depth... and let's you turn certain things on and off. Can you give me some examples.

    My altimate goal is to get the car running at 95-98% of it's potential, I don't need to squeeze out every drop of power. It's my DD. So far it has a CAI, and full exhaust running on the stock tune.

    John
    Hey John (sweet name BTW) I have never used EFI so I can't say it DOESN'T go more in depth but I would be amazed if its more than HP Tuners...There are so many tables and options that it can make your head spin.

    My suggestion would be to download Hp tuners and browse over a stock CTS-V file (or any you want actually) to get a feel for how it works. I'm sure EFI has a similar option as well and that way you can decide which interface you like best.

    Also what Naf said about the serial cable is old and HP tuners now comes with USB standard. "As far as fast and easy tune using HP Tuners"....unless I'm missing the "fast and easy" option somewhere there is no such thing with either suite. I know anyone in this thread who has properly tuned their vehicle will agree.

  11. #10
    Naf's Avatar
    Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    The HP lay out is easier to use than the EFI which adds to its easiness to use.

    The main function that the efi can do that the hp cant is literally turning off the o2 short and long trim. HP says its off, but they remain on. Whilst in EFI off means off.

    Its been too long since i used the HP to remember every difference, but if you want to do other vehicles besides your v then you will have issues tuning new model trucks with the HP while the efi is flawless in its transition...

    Food for thought

  12. #11
    04SilverV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    70

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Well, I just pulled the trigger on HP tuners Pro. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

    Thanks again for the help guys.

    John

  13. #12
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    The HP lay out is easier to use than the EFI which adds to its easiness to use.

    The main function that the efi can do that the hp cant is literally turning off the o2 short and long trim. HP says its off, but they remain on. Whilst in EFI off means off.

    Its been too long since i used the HP to remember every difference, but if you want to do other vehicles besides your v then you will have issues tuning new model trucks with the HP while the efi is flawless in its transition...

    Food for thought
    I don't wanna get into an argument but your information is completely false. Enable temp 284* for LTFT and STFT COMPLETELY turns them off. (HP Tuners). Perhaps you are passing along old information?

  14. #13
    liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Beach Ca
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,749

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    whatever you decide get a wideband (preferrably installed permanently in your header so you don't have to rely on a dyno). Tuning is essentially useless without it unless all you want to do is disable lights and CELs. You can even dump it in place of a post-cat O2 sensor (making sure you disable the rear o2s) and call it a day.
    curious in my other car you were able to wire up a wide band in the stock sensor plug and be able to pick up a reading that way. is that possible in the V? i have hppro, looking for the best way to install a wideband and continue learning with it.

    also wouldn't it be wise to maybe have a thread with tunning tips that would be more v specific to get our feet wet a bit? it would keep from asking questions in the various tunning forums if there is any better/different way to do it for a V.

  15. #14
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    curious in my other car you were able to wire up a wide band in the stock sensor plug and be able to pick up a reading that way. is that possible in the V? i have hppro, looking for the best way to install a wideband and continue learning with it.

    also wouldn't it be wise to maybe have a thread with tunning tips that would be more v specific to get our feet wet a bit? it would keep from asking questions in the various tunning forums if there is any better/different way to do it for a V.
    You need to get a bung specifically for the wideband. If you are only tuning (and know what your doing) you can pull out a front O2 and put the wideband in there for WOT tuning. But then you pull it and put the stock narrowband O2 back for fuel trims. So yeah short answer is you if your learning you should probably just get a bung welded in for permanent use (I think it cost me $20 at a local muffler shop).

    HP Tuners forum has most of the resources you need. In the tuning world it is the OS and PCM version (ours is E40 I believe). All the tables are the same then so the V is nothing special comparatively. If you want I have some documents I have collected I can email you to get started. The biggest part is READING, READING, READING, READING AND READING some more.....

  16. #15
    liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Beach Ca
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,749

    Re: Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

    what i meant was could you remove the rear o2 ( if catless) and just use the stock harness to power and gather data for the wideband. i wasnt sure if that was a possibility with the ecu in our car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting