Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Calling all "self" tuners.....Which is the tuning software of choice?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  wait4me 
#1 ·
I'll be adding a cam shortly and would like to venture into tuning the car myself. I'm looking at running the vrx-4 cam.

I'm unsure about which tuning software is better and most user friendly between:

HP-Tuning
EFI Live

Thanks in advance.

John

#2 ·
They're both pretty much on par with each other. Probably down to cost i.e. which you can get cheaper and how many vehicle licenses they come with.

I use EFI but have heard good things on HPT. My decision was based on a good deal I got for it.

HPT probably has a bigger user base out of the 2. Also important point if and when you do visit your local tuner, get the one that he has. :)

I'm hoping you have a wideband setup or access to one because otherwise :suspect::banghead:

#3 ·
ichpen about summed it up. I use HP Tuners.

#4 ·
HPTuners forum helped me out BIG TIME! Don't know about EFIlive. But if one is clearly better, it would be the deal breaker for me.

#6 ·
I have used both...

EFI goes more indepth and has the option to properly turn off or on certain options, but the HPTuner is so user friendly...

If you want to squeeze every drop out go EFI, if you want a fast easy tune, HPT...

Price is identical, so thats not a factor, but i went efi only cause of the USB option instead of the Serial cable found on the HPT a few yrs ago...

#7 ·
whatever you decide get a wideband (preferrably installed permanently in your header so you don't have to rely on a dyno). Tuning is essentially useless without it unless all you want to do is disable lights and CELs. You can even dump it in place of a post-cat O2 sensor (making sure you disable the rear o2s) and call it a day.

#13 ·
curious in my other car you were able to wire up a wide band in the stock sensor plug and be able to pick up a reading that way. is that possible in the V? i have hppro, looking for the best way to install a wideband and continue learning with it.

also wouldn't it be wise to maybe have a thread with tunning tips that would be more v specific to get our feet wet a bit? it would keep from asking questions in the various tunning forums if there is any better/different way to do it for a V.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, I agree the wideband is a must. I've tuned several cars in the past using AEM standalone, SCT etc.... and no matter what the wideband the key.

Naf, you said EFI goes more in depth... and let's you turn certain things on and off. Can you give me some examples.

My altimate goal is to get the car running at 95-98% of it's potential, I don't need to squeeze out every drop of power. It's my DD. So far it has a CAI, and full exhaust running on the stock tune.

John

#9 ·
Hey John (sweet name BTW) I have never used EFI so I can't say it DOESN'T go more in depth but I would be amazed if its more than HP Tuners...There are so many tables and options that it can make your head spin.

My suggestion would be to download Hp tuners and browse over a stock CTS-V file (or any you want actually) to get a feel for how it works. I'm sure EFI has a similar option as well and that way you can decide which interface you like best.

Also what Naf said about the serial cable is old and HP tuners now comes with USB standard. "As far as fast and easy tune using HP Tuners"....unless I'm missing the "fast and easy" option somewhere there is no such thing with either suite. I know anyone in this thread who has properly tuned their vehicle will agree.

#10 ·
The HP lay out is easier to use than the EFI which adds to its easiness to use.

The main function that the efi can do that the hp cant is literally turning off the o2 short and long trim. HP says its off, but they remain on. Whilst in EFI off means off.

Its been too long since i used the HP to remember every difference, but if you want to do other vehicles besides your v then you will have issues tuning new model trucks with the HP while the efi is flawless in its transition...

Food for thought

#12 ·
I don't wanna get into an argument but your information is completely false. Enable temp 284* for LTFT and STFT COMPLETELY turns them off. (HP Tuners). Perhaps you are passing along old information?

#16 ·
Not that I am aware of. The WB has to be powered and then fed into your HP Tuners. There would be no way to get that data from the PCM unless you routed it through the A/C pin or something. (Like the guys without Pro do). You could use the bung though if your catless. Also you need Logworks (For example) to adjust the voltage offsets and I'm not sure how you would do that with the PCM.

#17 ·
www.efilive.com click on the software download and you can download and use the software for free. We dont charge anything for the software. It is fully open and even has some bin files in it to look around at your tune for your car. The hardware is what makes it work on your car. That is what we charge money for.

The benefits of what we have is that the custom operating systems are free, you get free 97-98 corvette and 98 camaro programming, vin changing, no rules for flashing ecms with different layouts, segment swapping, Super fast reads and writes, SERIAL input for your wideband, Serial integration for dynos. Also our device is like a handheld, you can use it as a scan tool for free, you can use the on screen menu to pick all sorts of things, also read and write to your ecm without a computer, you can monitor things on the screen also if you dont have your computer with you. It is very fancy.

forum members also get a very large site discount if you order it directly from me at our shop. We ship them out the same day as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.