CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; waiting with cash in hand sir??????...
    z28dogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ctsv

Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

waiting with cash in hand sir??????

z28dogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ctsv

bump

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

PM sent.

The 8.8 diff kit is now on our website, creative-steel.com
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Looks good Max.

Difference in weight between aluminum and cast iron?

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    We understand that there are kits available to install a Ford 9" differential in the CTS-V, we also understand that the 9" has been the benchmark for high performance rear ends for decades, but for the CTS-V application, we feel the only benefit to the Ford 9" is that it is sexier to say. It sounds better to say (In your deepest manly voice) "I have a Ford 9 inch" than it does to say "I have a Ford 8.8".
    Lol Max!

You are correct Cancer, I should have been more specific on the site. I listed those other videos to show that the 8.8 diffs are in some seriously fast cars and that they stand up. Everyone in the automotive world has heard of the Ford 9" rear end, but since the 8.8 is not as well known it doesn't get the respect it deserves. There are people out there that think if the 8.8 was any good they would have heard about it, the 8.8 is "new" to those people and so they are skeptical. I'm just trying to show the V community what a lot of other car communities already know, how tough the 8.8's really are.
    The Drive Shaft Shop has a relationship of some sort with an '04 GTO that has an 8.8 installed, it's doing a 8.9 in the quarter. 8.9 !!! Now that's a test.
    I asked Frank at the DSS if the 31 spline stubs that fit in the 8.8 were the same size as the 31 spline stubs that fit in the 9", he said "Yes", they are the same size. He went on to say that the 8.8 is a great rear end....and that I can quote him on that.

ichpen, good day sir.... the cast iron 8.8 with mounting brackets weighs 30# more than the Getrag and the aluminum 8.8 with brackets weighs 15# more

Gotta go guys, the wife is giving me the "Stink Eye", you better pay attention to me.....mister
    maxx@creative-steel.com

You are correct Cancer, I should have been more specific on the site. I listed those other videos to show that the 8.8 diffs are in some seriously fast cars and that they stand up. Everyone in the automotive world has heard of the Ford 9" rear end, but since the 8.8 is not as well known it doesn't get the respect it deserves. There are people out there that think if the 8.8 was any good they would have heard about it, the 8.8 is "new" to those people and so they are skeptical. I'm just trying to show the V community what a lot of other car communities already know, how tough the 8.8's really are.
    The Drive Shaft Shop has a relationship of some sort with an '04 GTO that has an 8.8 installed, it's doing a 8.9 in the quarter. 8.9 !!! Now that's a test.
    I asked Frank at the DSS if the 31 spline stubs that fit in the 8.8 were the same size as the 31 spline stubs that fit in the 9", he said "Yes", they are the same size. He went on to say that the 8.8 is a great rear end....and that I can quote him on that.

ichpen, good day sir.... the cast iron 8.8 with mounting brackets weighs 30# more than the Getrag and the aluminum 8.8 with brackets weighs 15# more

Gotta go guys, the wife is giving me the "Stink Eye", you better pay attention to me.....mister
    Ah gotcha Max. I will definitely be keeping you in mind when my carrier bearing finally stops whining and seizes up!

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

I'm leaning this way for my next real upgrade.

I have been trying to research the pros/cons of going with the Cast Iron v. Cast Aluminium. Other then the obvious difference in weight, are there any other benefits to going with the Aluminum over the Iron? I do plan on doing some road racing in the future when funds allow so i do plan on beating on it.

only things on point i have found.
    http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...187536&page=10
    http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=48196

Me??? I think I would go with the iron case. We're only talking about 15#'s over the aluminum case. The gears, the brackets, the differential unit and all the other goodies remain the same. Back in the day Ford put the iron case diffs in the higher horsepower cars and the aluminum cases in the luxury cars, but now days (99-04) Ford put the aluminum cases in the Cobras, so who knows, maybe the newer aluminum is higher tech than the older aluminum. Probably the same stuff. Who knows.
    15 lbs can't be that big of a deal (30 over stock) for the piece of mind, besides the added weight is in the rear.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

And the additional weight is low, I would think steel would be the way to go. You would still me much lighter than a V2 anyway and doesn't the V2 have a cast iron rear difff?

By the way,

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Me??? I think I would go with the iron case. We're only talking about 15#'s over the aluminum case. The gears, the brackets, the differential unit and all the other goodies remain the same. Back in the day Ford put the iron case diffs in the higher horsepower cars and the aluminum cases in the luxury cars, but now days (99-04) Ford put the aluminum cases in the Cobras, so who knows, maybe the newer aluminum is higher tech than the older aluminum. Probably the same stuff. Who knows.
    15 lbs can't be that big of a deal (30 over stock) for the piece of mind, besides the added weight is in the rear.
    Yep, added weight is where you want it and might actually help balance out that 100lbs super charger you've stuffed up front.

BTW, max, your rear end is next on my upgrade list after I get my car up and running. Hoping it'll hold up to be boost I'm about to throw at it.

Well that and a new clutch. Sigh, it never ends....

Sounds good to me, I'm ready when you are. Boost the snot out of it......bet ya can't brake it.
    lilgCTS-V and lilgCTS-V like this.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

M5Killer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V (408 Stroker)

Hey All,

I have been a member here for a couple months and have lurked around...

Just wanted to share with you a convo I had with Max this am.

I am now torn on the Gforce and Max's product....

Who has either installed with feedback?

GFORCE1320 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Here is a feedback thread I found, several others out there.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...install-2.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.