CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by MotorMounts I have a ton of stuff about half ready to make available to you guys. Our ...
    Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    I have a ton of stuff about half ready to make available to you guys. Our rear toe rod kits have been in a box half done for way too long, need to get on to the control arm bushings, I need to get the subframe bushings in to production, sway bar bushings have been asked for, and I need to make new molds for the lower rear shock mounts.
    I've been pretty focused on the 8.8 rear diff swap lately, while it's a lot less than it was I still have a bit of wheel hop and some clunking going on. I know the clunking is not from the 8.8, I think some of the noise is coming from the drive line and the dual mass flywheel. I've ordered a new drive line from DSS which was shipped last week and should arrive this week. I'm hoping it will cure some of the clunking and vibrations I get at highway speeds. I think most of my issues are from the dual mass but the drive line needed to be done and tested anyway since it is now part of the 8.8 rear diff swap kit.
    There have been a few "behind the scenes" projects as well, built a hot tank to clean the 8.8 housings before they go to sand blast and powder coat, the lathe fried a relay...had to diagnose that and find a relay that would do the job (without a wiring diagram), and the list goes on.
    Let me know about parts you'd like to see that I didn't mention above.

More parts are on the way, I'll keep paddling, Max
    MMM i can already feel my wallet getting lighter with this list of upcoming products...

RADARB8 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V TURBOCHARGED

ttt had to bring it up....good luck on the rear sales

z28dogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ctsv

can you update us on all rear cradle/axles/adapter pricing? thanks again i just installed the mm/tm/shifter bushing and love it!!!! now on to the 8.8 option.

Smile Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

Quote Originally Posted by z28dogg View Post
    can you update us on all rear cradle/axles/adapter pricing? thanks again i just installed the mm/tm/shifter bushing and love it!!!! now on to the 8.8 option.
    Me too!!!! How about a labor day special... do something that says[ MAN i am getting the CS complete rear.] I bet u get at least 4 orders..thanks GREG O. [10sec. CTSV gen1 if i had the rear.] ;;any warranty when i pop the clutch with dr's @ 5 grand?? thanks again....

9t8z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Is this available yet? It's not on your website?

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Is this available yet? It's not on your website?
    Yes, this kit is available. It will be on the website pretty quick. The kit will now include a new Drive Shaft Shop 2 piece drive line. It took us awhile to get the drive shaft, then Josh installed it before I could tell him to get some pictures of it (for the website) next to the OEM drive line assembly....Then I wanted to drive it around for while because while the OEM drive line was still in the car I was afraid to really test the 8.8 diff.

I have done multiple burn outs with the car on different types of pavement, I still get a bit of wheel hop in certain conditions but feel that even the OEM Getrag diff could stand up to the amount of hop that still occurs, so the 8.8 is no where near of being in danger of failure.

Now I'll talk about the real test that we performed. I signed up for Scotty Richardson's Drag Racing School that was scheduled in my area on Friday 6-22-11. I have been to the drags a 100 times but never had I gone down the track myself, so I took the class so not to look like an idiot while staging the car for the first few times. If you have been to the drags when the general public is allowed to race you will know what I'm talking about....Sometimes it's hard to even watch, some of these guys don't even act like they've watched drag racing on TV...Not a clue about what to do. I didn't want to be one of those guys AND the class came with 4 hours of private track time so I was able to make 25 runs (with plenty of cool down time between sessions) and the kids had complete access to the starting line area for the video taping.

The Rear Diff Test: I did 25 launches ranging from 2500-3500rpm along with all the 20-30 ft long burnouts to warm the tires then drove it home at the end of the day. We put it on the lift on Monday to check if anything was out of the ordinary. ZERO, not even a leaky seal. There is still a lot of rubber on the quarter panels but I'm cool with that, the rubber is almost better than a trophy.

I'm not exactly sure what that sticky shit is that they spray on the drag strip, but let me tell you what...it will darn near take your shoes off when you walk across it. We walked the track the day before we made any runs and the track is sticky all the way to the finish line. Bottom Line: The stress put on that 8.8 (and other drive train components) was worse than real world conditions. When you dump that clutch at 3500 rpm, either the car is gonna move or something is gonna break because tire spin is out of the question.
    My first run was about a 13.74, my best time was a 13.10 @ 108 mph. My car is bone-ass stock except for a cold air intake and a Magnaflow exhaust so a 13.10 can't be bad for a Green Horn on the track.

If you would like to see about 2 minutes of the video that we took, here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RnWZw8gpqY

We will post another video once the editing if finished.

Disclaimer: I know.. I know.. I know, the CTS-V was not made for drag racing, it's road coarse vehicle. If you want to got fast on a drag strip, there are other vehicles that would be a better choice.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Awesome update man!

hXc95SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Dodge Dakota DD, 2005 CTS-V Black on Black
    Very nice. 13.10 in a relatively stock V. What's the 60 foot times? Mines stock performance wise and my best was 13.36@107 with a 2.1 60 foot. No clutch dump for me. Just sat idle, waited on the tree and rolled the clutch out as fast as possible without dumping. Nice to know that there are finally options for this turd of a rear end. Nice write up. P.S. That sticky stuff is called VHT

Updates?? I really need to step up my 1/4 mile as I've been beat by nearly everything at the track in fear of hurting my baby, I am almost to the point where I'd just give it up and pay the big bucks for the 9, even though I hate monopolies!!! I understand it's still in developement and you can't rush perfection but can you atleast let us in on the progress??? I'm dying here!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hXc95SLS View Post
    Very nice. 13.10 in a relatively stock V. What's the 60 foot times? Mines stock performance wise and my best was 13.36@107 with a 2.1 60 foot. No clutch dump for me. Just sat idle, waited on the tree and rolled the clutch out as fast as possible without dumping. Nice to know that there are finally options for this turd of a rear end. Nice write up. P.S. That sticky stuff is called VHT
    `Yeah,,60' times..what ewere they???and tires what kind???

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by z28dogg View Post
    Updates?? I really need to step up my 1/4 mile as I've been beat by nearly everything at the track in fear of hurting my baby, I am almost to the point where I'd just give it up and pay the big bucks for the 9, even though I hate monopolies!!! I understand it's still in developement and you can't rush perfection but can you atleast let us in on the progress??? I'm dying here!! LOL
    What kind of info would you like, the 8.8 has been in our car for several months now, ran it at the track with a complete disregard for its well-being, and have not one negative issue to report. The 8.8 swap has been one of those things that you kind of forget about a few months after the install. Once the newness wares off, the thought of blowing up a rear end is completely off of your mind. Now that I think about it, it's been an interesting transformation, kinda like moving the furniture around, it takes awhile to get used to. The diff swap has been the same way, for awhile you're afraid to run it hard because you're still sitting in a CTS-V, the car still feels the same, and you've been trained to worry about the rear diff. Then you go through the phase of "I'll test it just a little" --- "Wow, it didn't brake" --- "I'm not on the side of the road, waiting for a tow truck". You'll do that for a few weeks to a month then slowly you're brain will get retrained not to even think about the diff. Example: How often do you think about the new roof that you put on the house X amount of years ago? You don't, it's off your plate, you took care of it. You will know when the newness of the diff has worn off when you're more worried about those new tires you just put on.

Quote Originally Posted by RADARB8 View Post
    `Yeah,,60' times..what ewere they???and tires what kind???

The 60' time was 1.939, the 330 was a 5.580, the 1/8 mile 8.504. The tires are Continental Extreme Contact, stock size 245/45/18
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

great to hear!

Awesome to hear I thought you were still making adjustments but from your previous post it seems you got it down pat, whicj is freakin awesome, which leads me to my next question, are they available for us and are there any diffrent options that come with it? Gears,ddriveshaft ect... and last but not least can you pm me a price shipped to tucson,az. Also I am deployed right now so sorry if i miss some post or updates not much internet time so sorry if im askin questions already answered.

A true test is to put some dr's on there and come out at 5grand..That's is a real test..
    fix me up and I'll give it a good test...

Caleb Bennett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Curious myself If you have made up a kit price? brackets/d-shaft coupler/outer flanges? Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.