CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Interesting read here. I can say with a degree of experience that it's a tough sell to have a legitimate ...
    Nutz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!
    Interesting read here. I can say with a degree of experience that it's a tough sell to have a legitimate alternative for over $3k and especially over $4k. For many of the owners here close to $5k is 1/3 of the value of their car! I applaud your efforts and hope you can make this work, as I found it understandibly difficult to market a solid solution for under $5k, especially with material costs at an all time high. Keep at it, these cars are worth it.

Sent via Droid X

lilgCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)

Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz View Post
    Interesting read here. I can say with a degree of experience that it's a tough sell to have a legitimate alternative for over $3k and especially over $4k. For many of the owners here close to $5k is 1/3 of the value of their car! I applaud your efforts and hope you can make this work, as I found it understandibly difficult to market a solid solution for under $5k, especially with material costs at an all time high. Keep at it, these cars are worth it.

Sent via Droid X
    if it werent for the diff issue and wheel hop issue i would never consider selling this darn thing they really are special cars. After motor mounts i am will be trying to get this setup in my V.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

WTF - Did this thread just die or what? Email Max and got nothing. Found someone to make axles and a driveshaft on the cheap (3 different options for axles alone ranging from $650 - 1900.00) but cannot get an answer on the measurements.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    WTF - Did this thread just die or what? Email Max and got nothing. Found someone to make axles and a driveshaft on the cheap (3 different options for axles alone ranging from $650 - 1900.00) but cannot get an answer on the measurements.

I would just post your questions here, or what ever you find to aide others going forward. Also he is prob getting you the info you are looking for. they run a small shop and im sure at times they get busy or take days off.

RADARB8 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V TURBOCHARGED

Yeah, i am on the fence to do the Max or the Force but i don't think Max is quite finished with the design...When he is, i wish he would put up pics and pricing....most likely, i would want the entire kit and spend the little xtra...I still don't know if the 8.8 can handle a 5grand launch with Hossier slicks in the heavy azz CTSV..and would there be a warranty? I only want to do a 10sec. et. then my racing days will be done [retired]

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post

I think his frustrations are similar to yours. He did all of the R&D (measurements) on his dime and you want them for free so you can do a kit "on the cheap". I am right there with you but I don't expect Max to post up numbers when he did all of the leg work. If you wanna buy his brackets and figure it out yourself that is fine but he isn't going to give them to you!

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

I think Max did us a great thing, i just hope he doesnt get put off by some of the responses. Maybe he can let us know how many people actually step up and buy the brackets like they asked for.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

I would buy them in a heart beat at that price! But............. kids................life...................ahhhhhh my life is over : ( lol

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Hey Everybody, I haven't forgotten about anyone or this discussion. It's never a good time for this but Kristie and I took a week for US, there is more to life than motor mounts and diff bushings.
    We will be back at the shop next Monday for business as usual.

Before I go, I need to apologize to the group for loosing my cool in my post that responded to the "What would you do??" question a few posts back. I've been working on this "Diff Swap" project for a year, I put a lot of myself in to my work and in the beginning felt like what I had accomplished was being "cherry picked" apart. Now...It's had some time to soak in. I understand that there are different strokes for different folks and this means different levels of income, skills, tools, time available, yada yada. That being said, I'm 100% on board with what ever the individual car owner wants to do and will help supply the parts they need to do this swap.

Be Cool, Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Spoken like a true gear head and not somebody that's just out to make as much money as possible. I have a lot of respect for people that have this mentality. Thanks Max for stepping up and letting the consumer be right for a change. In this day and age it's pretty much take it or leave it and it's a shame that people do business this way and get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    Hey Everybody, I haven't forgotten about anyone or this discussion. It's never a good time for this but Kristie and I took a week for US, there is more to life than motor mounts and diff bushings.
    We will be back at the shop next Monday for business as usual.

Before I go, I need to apologize to the group for loosing my cool in my post that responded to the "What would you do??" question a few posts back. I've been working on this "Diff Swap" project for a year, I put a lot of myself in to my work and in the beginning felt like what I had accomplished was being "cherry picked" apart. Now...It's had some time to soak in. I understand that there are different strokes for different folks and this means different levels of income, skills, tools, time available, yada yada. That being said, I'm 100% on board with what ever the individual car owner wants to do and will help supply the parts they need to do this swap.

Be Cool, Max
    A true gear head helping other gear heads.

RADARB8 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V TURBOCHARGED

Cool Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

There are probably some of us like myself who are not familiar with an 8.8 rear...
    I was doing some research and found this write up in Car Craft..I hope this helps others

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_01.html

ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

After spending years working on and modifying anything with wheels, I have to applaud the efforts put forth here to make a simple 8.8 swap into the V.

As someone who is looking for an inexpensive, easy, turnkey solution to the V diff problem, this seems to be very close to hitting the nail on the head.

While I would love to hold out for a nice 31 spline cobra rear or a new diff assembly with all the goodies, I'm not so sure I really need that sort of beef or expense in a daily driver.

A real world kit for us cheap skates would be a complete kit designed to use a salvage yard 28 spline t-bird/lincoln as a bolt-in conversion including a made to fit 1 piece driveshaft (thus solving that problem versus adapting to yet another inferior driveline piece) and a "nohop" axle set made to use with the stock t-bird/lincoln inner cv's in conjunction with the stock V outers.

I have a feeling this setup, while not as trick as a new unit or cobra diff, would be all that many of us really need and it'd be cheap enough to be a viable conversion when compared to a 9 inch as a truely bolt in, easy, quick, inexpensive solution to our problem.

Could you sell such a kit in the 2k range? If so, you'd sell these consistently.

As a side note, what kind of parasitic loss should be expected out of the 8.8? I was surprised to see the dyno results after the 9 inch swap....i didn't expect it to suck up 20 or so horses....

Thanks again for all your efforts and frankly, i don't blame you for ranting a little...

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

i need to see some 8.8 equipped z!
    also i dont get whats the problem with using the stock 2 piece drive shaft w/ a CS adapter.. never heard of any failures.doubt it even adds to the clunk. and unless your going with a single piece carbon shaft i don't see how your going to reduce drivetrain loss with a new design.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it

usefull info

8.8 IRS rebuild
    http://www.kitcarinfo.com/IRS_Gear_Swap.htm
    pick your own part.. ford gear ratio sheet
    http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford13.htm
    dirt cheap brand new housings: FMS-M-4010-A88
    http://www.race-mart.com/Ford_Motors...-4010-A88.html

is there any chance for a group buy ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.